GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do it all Sportwagen - street/hoon/track/drag you name it....this is the way...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Badgeskins red I to match the rear hatch badge.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU and TCU tunes installed. Wow.

I went with the Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU tune/Stage 1 TCU tune on my 2018 GSW S 4M DSG. My driving is ~70% highway/30% around town. The tune was done at 2,750 miles so car was new but broken-in. Here are my impressions/comments etc.:

Background:
I purchased the tunes on sale from DAP including the cable for $1150 delivered. It showed up 2 days later. After getting the Unitronic software installed on my laptop and the cable registered, loading the tunes took about ~30 min. I used a battery charger per DAPs video. Plenty of info out there on all of this; I strongly suggest you watch the videos/read the instructions…twice. I goofed the cable registration and Unitronic provided live support to fix it; v. happy with their tech support so far.

Driving:
The ECU tune makes the car much more lively and gives it much stronger acceleration – it isn’t a race car by any stroke of the imagination. I have done some 0-60 testing and gotten a few runs in the low 6s/high 5s so I think that is outstanding for a car like this (1/4 tank of gas, no spare tire/junk in car etc.). The TCU tune is the true gem of this upgrade with correct shift points in D and a better/more useable S mode; I can’t say enough good things about the TCU tune. The launch control RPM is higher now as is the redline for shifting under WOT (not such a concern to me). You can see what gear you are in in D or S modes now (again, not a big one). I would say the car feels stock still and if I wouldn’t have told my wife she may not have noticed. On the highway it’s so nice to get around cars quickly now. To sum it up…OEM+ and super happy with the tunes from Unitronic.

MPGs:

MPGs remain nearly unchanged on my highway commute (~100 miles round trip each day) but I believe I have lost ~1 mpg based on data I have collected/Fuelly; I’m sure my city mpgs have dropped a bit from all the “testing”..hahahah but overall, it’s not a huge mpg penalty as far as I can see. The jump to premium fuel cost is new to me and this will add ~$400 a year to my fuel costs at today’s prices. Fuelly shows that I am at 25mpg average over the last 4 mos with highs around 30 for just my commute and lows around 20 if I am just burning it up around town. Keep in mind roof racks can knock ~3mpg off of your mileage, especially so on the highway.

Closing:
Would I do it again? YES! It’s exactly what I wanted…a more lively stock car to drive as my DD and commute to work in. I effectively have a GTI wagon now.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Have you started the countdown to IS20 yet? :)
No..haha...problem as I see it is tunes are Stage 2 which require DP intakes etc all of which I have no interest in. A Stage 1 IS20 doesn't see to be there.

mcl_sean

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GSW S 4Motion
Can be done without upgrading downpipe, I'm currently running IS20 with APR OEM downpipe file. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU and TCU tunes installed. Wow.

Lucky! Must be a blast[emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Cheap entertainment from Klii Motorwerkes

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
More OEM nerdiness

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Very nice build.

Torque Pro can run without mirrorlink.
You can get an app called OBD2 for AA on xda forums, it lets you run TP. No root needed.

You can easily make your fogs yellow with Lamin-X film. I pulled my fogs our, but that is not mandatory. Keep in mind: the front bumper is super easy to remove, and you don't need a second set of hands that a lot of folks mention. That yellow is great.

You can get the brake me calipers on e-acca.com. They are noticeably cheaper there.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

mcl_sean

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GSW S 4Motion
Hmmm, been thinking about spacers for a while. These look great and at solid price too. Interested to hear what you think after more driving time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Me too. Not enough mild stuff sometimes on here!

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Golf R RSB installed...works great! Thanks for the fine folks at shopdap.com for the swag.

Last edited: