GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GOLF R 14K miles Too early to go MPI?

daredeezy619

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought a 2018 Golf R with 14K miles on it. I do still have the manufacturers warranty for about another 3 years or so or til 70k miles. Since the car has only 14k miles with probably very little carbon build up at the moment, would it be a smart move to go MPI sooner than later?

Sure I plan on going hybrid turbo later on down the road, but I wonder how that would look if I ever need to bring to VW for warranty work and see the MPI kit fitted on the manifold.

The idea of having an MPI kit and not worrying about carbon build up is a plus and also flex fuel in the near future. I know I would need a retune.

Thanks for any insights.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Tune required to operate the mpi which will void your power train warranty. If that’s important to you then wait. Otherwise as long as you have e85 available you can grab a tune for that while still on the is38 and enjoy a nice power bump over 93.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I just bought a 2018 Golf R with 14K miles on it. I do still have the manufacturers warranty for about another 3 years or so or til 70k miles. Since the car has only 14k miles with probably very little carbon build up at the moment, would it be a smart move to go MPI sooner than later?

Sure I plan on going hybrid turbo later on down the road, but I wonder how that would look if I ever need to bring to VW for warranty work and see the MPI kit fitted on the manifold.

The idea of having an MPI kit and not worrying about carbon build up is a plus and also flex fuel in the near future. I know I would need a retune.

Thanks for any insights.

My manifold was pulled at about 45k and it didn't have that much build up. Nothing to really worry about. If the warranty matters to you, leave it all alone. If you have access to E85, consider getting a JB4 so you can raise boost without flashing the ECU.