GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 dsg reliability

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
About to pull the trigger on a new car today. Dsg but how do I tell if this has wet or dry clutch as because over on the Tiguan owners forum the reckon on the the tsi 150 dsg are fitted with the new dq381. My gearbox code is TXu but the dealer hasn’t got a clue.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
the 1.5lt petrol are all 2wd....& in DSG are fitted with a 7 speed DSG....which I doubt is the same as the 4wd version...as usually two different gearboxes...

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Cheers Dave that’s what I thought . Have a butchers at this link.https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4821

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Cheers Dave that’s what I though. Have a butchers at this link.https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4821

seems like a few have confirmed with the dealer that the 1.5lt petrol has a wet clutch....which would be good..maybe VW have learned the hard way...

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
I rang vw Uk about my car and they said wet clutch but sealed box which don’t require service and that doesn’t make any sense, after I got of the phone I contacted them again through live chat and they said dry clutch. So I’m still no closer to finding out lol. Anyways I put a deposit down on a pre reg with 9 miles on it. So got a few years warranty but I will say this if I get a malfunction with the gearbox at any point it’s gone.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I rang vw Uk about my car and they said wet clutch but sealed box which don’t require service and that doesn’t make any sense, after I got of the phone I contacted them again through live chat and they said dry clutch. So I’m still no closer to finding out lol. Anyways I put a deposit down on a pre reg with 9 miles on it. So got a few years warranty but I will say this if I get a malfunction with the gearbox at any point it’s gone.

oh god VWUK......50/50 chance its one or the other & they can't tell you???....best is to give the VIN number to the dealer parts dept & ask them what gearbox it comes up with...

GTIgolfmark7

dsg on my '16 GTI had some issues too when I bought it last year, went in for a recall/warranty and it's spot on now.
can't remember what it was exactly, was away for a couple of week so the wife took the car to the dealership.
if it works like it should its a lovely trans, can't fault it (y)

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
oh god VWUK......50/50 chance its one or the other & they can't tell you???....best is to give the VIN number to the dealer parts dept & ask them what gearbox it comes up with...
Lol the actual first answer I got was ,she just spoke to technical and wet gearboxes don’t exist, I said I asked if it had a wet clutch and that’s when she took a couple of minutes and said yes wet clutch but sealed box. I just got off the phone then. The poor women was like you shouldn’t Reed Internet forums lol.
I must have the magical gearbox with a wet clutch and a dry gearbox I’ll call it the dq238

Last edited:

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
dsg on my '16 GTI had some issues too when I bought it last year, went in for a recall/warranty and it's spot on now.
can't remember what it was exactly, was away for a couple of week so the wife took the car to the dealership.
if it works like it should its a lovely trans, can't fault it (y)
? your car has a better spec gearbox which is meant to be quite good.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Well after all the faffing about . I picked it up this morning And plugged in my Obdeleven and it is the dq200, dam shame

as I suspected...VW usually give ALL engines under 180bhp the weaker gearboxes...especially as 2WD....& 1.5lt...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Bloody hell vw how fast do u want me to go untill I can get a decent gearbox...
Well that’s has me ,lets just say a tad nervous.

That's why I didn't buy the 1.8LT L&K MK3 Octavia...weaker gearboxes (same as fitted to my 1.4lt)....so torque is limited....to the same as the 1.4lt!!

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
That's why I didn't buy the 1.8LT L&K MK3 Octavia...weaker gearboxes (same as fitted to my 1.4lt)....so torque is limited....to the same as the 1.4lt!!
I may even swap out for manual, I already spoke to them they said they can give me a pre reg manual with 25 miles. The dilemma I got is now I’m reading the kangaroo and stalling problems with the 1.5 tsi with the manual gearbox. I’m a anxious person in general and always over think stuff. I’ve Just want a good keeper. What’s your thoughts Dave?
Thanks

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I do think they are generally fine, nothing to worry about, but when they get old they add to the clutch of potential sensor problems that will leave you stranded, and repairs will become expensive. That is somewhat true of most cars these days, however, whether DSG or MT.