GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 dsg reliability

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Hi guys. I’ve been looking to get a 2018 1.4 tsi, dsg. But I keep reading all these horror story’s about the gearbox. I know it will have 18 month warranty on it but what are these like for reliability.

Thanks in advance

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I didn't know that you could get a DSG with that engine. Maybe it's a UK option. But the DSG in the GTI is very reliable but I don't know if it's the same one.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
I didn't know that you could get a DSG with that engine. Maybe it's a UK option. But the DSG in the GTI is very reliable but I don't know if it's the same one.

Thanks mate in the Uk we can get all our engines with dsg. I’ll do a bit of research. I don’t want to trade in a good manual car for a dsg which could end up with major repair bills

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If it's the same DSG that's in the GTI you have nothing to worry about.

s1monc

Passed Driver's Ed
My wife bought a new GTI with DSG back in April 2016. It’s now done 33,000 and never had any issues with DSG.

bertj

Ready to race!
Hi guys. I’ve been looking to get a 2018 1.4 tsi, dsg. But I keep reading all these horror story’s about the gearbox. I know it will have 18 month warranty on it but what are these like for reliability.

Thanks in advance

My Golf is a 2018 1.4tsi. with 7 speed dsg. No problems whatsoever with very smooth gear changes. I've lost track of how many dsg VW's and Skodas my wife and I have had over the years with no problems. IMO most of these 'horror' stories relate to very high mileage cars that have been 'thrashed'.
No doubt my comments will produce yet more negative responses!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
My Golf is a 2018 1.4tsi. with 7 speed dsg. No problems whatsoever with very smooth gear changes. I've lost track of how many dsg VW's and Skodas my wife and I have had over the years with no problems. IMO most of these 'horror' stories relate to very high mileage cars that have been 'thrashed'.
No doubt my comments will produce yet more negative responses!

A lot of other problems was due to the mk6 DSG which had the wrong grade of oil fitted at the factory..but only a real problem in high humidity areas....

VW did a world wide recall....even up here in Scotland!!..

The weaker 7speed DSG fitted to the 1.4/1.5lt is totally different to the strong GTI/R DSG...the later having very few problems...the former having a few too many...

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
A lot of other problems was due to the mk6 DSG which had the wrong grade of oil fitted at the factory..but only a real problem in high humidity areas....

VW did a world wide recall....even up here in Scotland!!..

The weaker 7speed DSG fitted to the 1.4/1.5lt is totally different to the strong GTI/R DSG...the later having very few problems...the former having a few too many...

Thankyou mate appreciate your imput

bertj

Ready to race!

Could you expand on your last paragraph, especially your statement about the 1.4 tsi ? Do you have personal knowledge of this?:confused:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Could you expand on your last paragraph, especially your statement about the 1.4 tsi ? Do you have personal knowledge of this?:confused:

The DSG fitted to the lower torque engines i.e. anything below 250Nm have a dry clutch...the engines over 250Nm ie the GTD/GTI/R all have a DSG with a wet clutch...

The wet clutch generally speaking has had very few problems since it was introduced....

the weaker dry clutch DSGs have had numerous problems....most were sorted by the recall for the wrong oil....however there have been other problems with software updates, etc...

& there are still problems with clutch slip on new cars....as reported on some models of Skoda...

How do I know this...I am on other forums & I know the head parts bloke at my local dealership very well & I was talking to him just last week...also I do servicing for my neighbours cars..two of which are DSG cars.....

You might get lucky & have an ok dry DSG box..on the other hand you might not..& then they start costing especially if outside warranty!...

bertj

Ready to race!
OK - Thanks for that; very interesting and bothering!
Somewhat off the point but my wife has a 150bhp 2018 tdi DSG Golf estate - this has a 7 speed box. Is it dry or wet - do we have two Golfs to worry about?!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
OK - Thanks for that; very interesting and bothering!
Somewhat off the point but my wife has a 150bhp 2018 tdi DSG Golf estate - this has a 7 speed box. Is it dry or wet - do we have two Golfs to worry about?!

what is the engine & gearbox codes??...I recon it will be a dry clutch though...as its not a GTD/GTI/R or AWD version...

Jon2

Ready to race!
The DSG in my 122bhp 1.4TSI has so far behaved beautifully. I love the smoothness of it. The turbo on the other hand...... ?

Car is a Sept.2013 reg with 33k miles.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The DSG in my 122bhp 1.4TSI has so far behaved beautifully. I love the smoothness of it. The turbo on the other hand...... ?

Car is a Sept.2013 reg with 33k miles.

Its the actuator rod to turbo arm joint that seizes solid which then causes more strain on the actuator motor which then FUBARs...

Use very high temp grease..the best one is the Loctite grey stuff or the VW "hot bolt paste"... I did a how too guide...