GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Autobahn paid off

steveaustin

Ready to race!
What a great feeling, no more car payments!
Still loving my GTI...the more I look at "modern" cars the more I hate the lack of climate control dials and physical buttons. I also prefer my analog gauge cluster...I think the MK7 is one of the best GTIs made so I'll be keeping it for while! Everything I look at on the market is either too big or just feels cheap. Most 2023 BMWs have no physical climate buttons. Call me old school, I guess.

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
Being paid off is a nice feeling until I see one of those new Supras out and about.
Really? I can think of many cars that look better myself but obviously looks are very subjective. I'll take paid GTI over huge monthly Supra any day. I can write check today and pay mine off but 1.75% makes it difficult for me to follow through.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Really? I can think of many cars that look better myself but obviously looks are very subjective. I'll take paid GTI over huge monthly Supra any day. I can write check today and pay mine off but 1.75% makes it difficult for me to follow through.

Being paid off is better, but as long as you're modding your your car, it's never really paid off.

I paid mine off last year, but keep having impure thoughts about bigger turbos and all the expensive things that go with them.

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
Being paid off is better, but as long as you're modding your your car, it's never really paid off.

I paid mine off last year, but keep having impure thoughts about bigger turbos and all the expensive things that go with them.
Completely agree. Me personally, I honestly don't care about modding my GTI which I know is the minority here but I completely understand and respect those who do. Years ago I threw too much money modding stupid Jeeps and I would love to have my $$ back today but I have learned from my own mistakes and others.

Hell, I've contemplated selling my GTI and getting older Honda or Toyota that requires very little maintenance because my priorities have just changed but with how stupid the used market still is I haven't found anything yet to make me do it and I do really enjoy my GTI both looks and how it drives.

With that said....I am at 36k and I know DSG service and more is creeping and if I am going to sell sooner would be better than later.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Completely agree. Me personally, I honestly don't care about modding my GTI which I know is the minority here but I completely understand and respect those who do. Years ago I threw too much money modding stupid Jeeps and I would love to have my $$ back today but I have learned from my own mistakes and others.

Hell, I've contemplated selling my GTI and getting older Honda or Toyota that requires very little maintenance because my priorities have just changed but with how stupid the used market still is I haven't found anything yet to make me do it and I do really enjoy my GTI both looks and how it drives.

With that said....I am at 36k and I know DSG service and more is creeping and if I am going to sell sooner would be better than later.
I could almost buy a house today, with the money spent on cars over the last thirty years. It was fun, but the smart play would have been to buy faster cars and save the hassles. I expect to learn that lesson any decade now.

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, in just the past 8-10 years I have bought and sold, traded more than anyone I personally know and the funny thing is most think I was always in debt but no, I worked hard on the front end buying for great deals and most I bought had great resale value so I lost money probably 1-2x.

Unfortunately with the market now and how everything has changed I can't do what I used to without getting burned. I'm officially done. Agree, it was fun. Most people would lose shirt doing it though.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This is the way.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I paid mine off 4 years ago with the idea of saving up a little money and then getting into something else.
4 years later, still have it and really don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon!
Like you said, I've come to appriciate the "low tech" offered in my S.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Paid the car off last year.. Just gonna keep driving 'er since any kind of car that is cool in any way is either difficult to find or marked up.
That's part of what held me off. I was going to pay off the car, wait a couple years and then look into getting an MK8 R once they were released.
Well, we all know what happened there. Hard to find, and marked up wayyyyy too much. Used car market at the time was also nuts. So I just decided to wait.
While I was waiting, the wife picked up a Bronco. So I figured I'd wait a bit longer.
While waiting, we've decided to build a house lol. So I may just be driving the GTI till it dies at this point hah.

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
That's part of what held me off. I was going to pay off the car, wait a couple years and then look into getting an MK8 R once they were released.
Well, we all know what happened there. Hard to find, and marked up wayyyyy too much. Used car market at the time was also nuts. So I just decided to wait.
While I was waiting, the wife picked up a Bronco. So I figured I'd wait a bit longer.
While waiting, we've decided to build a house lol. So I may just be driving the GTI till it dies at this point hah.
Used car market is still nuts and way overpriced.