Tax​
$ 11.07​
Order Total
$ 185.44

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
It shouldn't be more than $290 in labor for all 4 corners. Brakes are one of the most marked up jobs in terms of labor, despite being extremely quick and easy to do. I assume they take advantage of the fact that most people don't realize how easy of a job it is, and the fact that it's such an integral safety feature of a car.

tdipaul, watch a video on changing brakes. It's easy, even for someone who has no mechanical knowledge. Even if you have absolutely nothing, you could spend $150 on a jack, jack stands, and all the tools you would need to do it. Another $250 - $300 on an OEM spec Centric Preferred axel pack, which will have pads and rotors for all 4 corners. You can buy all the tools and parts you need to do it yourself for $400 - $500, and get it done in 2 - 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon. And 2 - 3 hours is being generous for someone who's never done it before. A dealer would have it done in 60 - 90 minutes. And wants $1200 in labor for that?
brakes are not a DIY for someone with no mechanical knowledge.

enlist a buddy who can guide you and yes but I would be hesitant to suggest this for a beginner

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Why do you think you need brakes? They are an "as needed" job and not related to miles or time - some people get 20k miles on a set of brakes, others get 120k miles before they need new brakes.

I'm of the school that if you are going to change pads, then you might as well do the rotors too.

While brakes are technically "easy" to do, it really is only easy if you have a lift. Doing brakes in your garage with a handful of stands and a jack is certainly possible, but isn't "easy" unless your definition of "easy" is working in a contorted position.

If you have access to a lift then it is quite easy.

That said, a good indy shop will most likely do a far better job at a far more reasonable price. find a local one that specializes in euro cars (or where the techs drive VWs) and check their prices.

Tires are cheapest at TireRack or Discount Tire. TR ships to installers throughout the US.
Brakes are one of the most overpriced services out there. They are so easy to DIY. I just do one wheel at a time. Jack up the wheel, for the fronts, turn the steering wheel so your can get to the bolts on the caliper easily. I want to say its only 4 bolts to change pads and rotors. If you can't DIY then as said, an indy shop would be your best best. Or someone nearby on the forums who is willing to help out. Rockauto has the best deals I could find on parts

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I’m free to help. Bring beer and pizza. I do a great job of sitting there and letting you get dirty.