GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 SE & Dealer Quote for Brakes and Tires

tdipaul

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 6MT SE PP/LP
I'm at 56k on the original pads, rotors and fluid so after a Dr appointment I stopped at the dealer to get some numbers. Dealership was right across the street so it was easy enough.

1. The Service Advisor told me they will not replace just the pads. I asked "If rotors are within specs and there is no shimmying indicating warped rotors, why not?" They said they just wont do it anymore due to too many comebacks. With that, they quoted me $290 per axle for labor to change pads, rotors and all fluid. He then said to get parts prices Id have to go to the parts dept. Hmmm. I never made it that far because that price above shocked me, and Im sure the large SE rotors and pads are not cheap ( I guessing about the same, ~$300 per axle??). If I am accurate with the parts price assumption I am looking at $1,200 + for all new brakes at a VW dealer.

3. I figured while I was there I asked about tires. Im at only 22K on set #2 and they are done. NEVER gonna buy Falkens again - they don't wear well and get super loud after 12K. The S-A said we can do tires but you will probably pay less a tire shop. He said their labor to R&R a tire is $45 ea. Dismayed again, I never got to actual prices of tires.

Overall experience at the dealership visit? I'm thinking I had "sucker" written on my forehead when I walked in there.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Ruger

Car(s)
Porsche Cayenne GTS
I just did my pads, sensors, rotors and fluid on a Porsche Cayenne GTS for around $700 for parts with my labor. Mechanic quoted $2000 Dealerships generally suck, from my experience. My wife's last car was a Toyota Highlander that was quoted around $700 to replace the spark plugs.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
I did my fronts at a local shop. around 350, including new rotors and brakes, , I had them get the cersmic brakes recommended from here, original rotors were toasted at 65k, I would've done the work, but I don't have a workspace, also I've never had tires last over 22k on my 15 gti. eff the dealer,

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I have no idea about the brakes but most dealers overcharge for tires. My dealer will actually accept deliveries from Tire Rack and put them on. The labor doesn't come out to much more than places like Discount Tire.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This shouldn't be a surprise. Dealers will always be expensive vs. an independent. Have you gotten other quotes?

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I'm at 56k on the original pads, rotors and fluid so after a Dr appointment I stopped at the dealer to get some numbers. Dealership was right across the street so it was easy enough.

1. The Service Advisor told me they will not replace just the pads. I asked "If rotors are within specs and there is no shimmying indicating warped rotors, why not?" They said they just wont do it anymore due to too many comebacks. With that, they quoted me $290 per axle for labor to change pads, rotors and all fluid. He then said to get parts prices Id have to go to the parts dept. Hmmm. I never made it that far because that price above shocked me, and Im sure the large SE rotors and pads are not cheap ( I guessing about the same, ~$300 per axle??). If I am accurate with the parts price assumption I am looking at $1,200 + for all new brakes at a VW dealer.

3. I figured while I was there I asked about tires. Im at only 22K on set #2 and they are done. NEVER gonna buy Falkens again - they don't wear well and get super loud after 12K. The S-A said we can do tires but you will probably pay less a tire shop. He said their labor to R&R a tire is $45 ea. Dismayed again, I never got to actual prices of tires.

Overall experience at the dealership visit? I'm thinking I had "sucker" written on my forehead when I walked in there.

What do you think?
That's why you don't go to the dealership unless you want to pay more money.

NJ has plenty of shops to go to, in particular, central NJ. I used to go to Redline SpeedWorx in Green Brook (Rte 22W by the Toyota dealership). There are plenty of other reputable shops around the Central Jersey area.

1. You're paying VW dealership labor rates. Labor rates in NJ isn't cheap to begin with, even in the boonies in Northern Jersey (at the tip of Sussex County, M&M Auto-Cycle). So find a reputable independent VW shop, that can also accept your parts... buy your own parts and bring it to the shop.

3. Shop for tires on TireRack or SimpleTire and use their recommended installers, it will be less expensive than the dealership, including mount/balance a tire.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Also brakes are a v. easy DIY but do require some tools (triple square and caliper piston tool) for the rear if you are doing rotors.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It shouldn't be more than $290 in labor for all 4 corners. Brakes are one of the most marked up jobs in terms of labor, despite being extremely quick and easy to do. I assume they take advantage of the fact that most people don't realize how easy of a job it is, and the fact that it's such an integral safety feature of a car.

tdipaul, watch a video on changing brakes. It's easy, even for someone who has no mechanical knowledge. Even if you have absolutely nothing, you could spend $150 on a jack, jack stands, and all the tools you would need to do it. Another $250 - $300 on an OEM spec Centric Preferred axel pack, which will have pads and rotors for all 4 corners. You can buy all the tools and parts you need to do it yourself for $400 - $500, and get it done in 2 - 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon. And 2 - 3 hours is being generous for someone who's never done it before. A dealer would have it done in 60 - 90 minutes. And wants $1200 in labor for that?

cb1111

Why do you think you need brakes? They are an "as needed" job and not related to miles or time - some people get 20k miles on a set of brakes, others get 120k miles before they need new brakes.

I'm of the school that if you are going to change pads, then you might as well do the rotors too.

While brakes are technically "easy" to do, it really is only easy if you have a lift. Doing brakes in your garage with a handful of stands and a jack is certainly possible, but isn't "easy" unless your definition of "easy" is working in a contorted position.

If you have access to a lift then it is quite easy.

That said, a good indy shop will most likely do a far better job at a far more reasonable price. find a local one that specializes in euro cars (or where the techs drive VWs) and check their prices.

Tires are cheapest at TireRack or Discount Tire. TR ships to installers throughout the US.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
It shouldn't be more than $290 in labor for all 4 corners. Brakes are one of the most marked up jobs in terms of labor, despite being extremely quick and easy to do. I assume they take advantage of the fact that most people don't realize how easy of a job it is, and the fact that it's such an integral safety feature of a car.

tdipaul, watch a video on changing brakes. It's easy, even for someone who has no mechanical knowledge. Even if you have absolutely nothing, you could spend $150 on a jack, jack stands, and all the tools you would need to do it. Another $250 - $300 on an OEM spec Centric Preferred axel pack, which will have pads and rotors for all 4 corners. You can buy all the tools and parts you need to do it yourself for $400 - $500, and get it done in 2 - 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon. And 2 - 3 hours is being generous for someone who's never done it before. A dealer would have it done in 60 - 90 minutes. And wants $1200 in labor for that?

This...I haven't done brakes on the Mk7 yet...but I've done them on other cars. Two bolts hold the caliper, two hold the carrier, and one screw holds the brake rotor to the hub. The tricky part will be bleeding the brakes...you need to make sure its done properly. I can usually get a friend to come over to help me. It can be a bit tedious...but its not an overly difficult job. Once you do the first one...the rest won't be that hard. DAP has a pretty good video.

My GF took her Cooper S to a local BMW shop to get the rear brakes done and they charged 240. Thats parts and labor. The local Mini dealer wanted 200 more.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This...I haven't done brakes on the Mk7 yet...but I've done them on other cars. Two bolts hold the caliper, two hold the carrier, and one screw holds the brake rotor to the hub. The tricky part will be bleeding the brakes...you need to make sure its done properly. I can usually get a friend to come over to help me. It can be a bit tedious...but its not an overly difficult job. Once you do the first one...the rest won't be that hard. DAP has a pretty good video.

My GF took her Cooper S to a local BMW shop to get the rear brakes done and they charged 240. Thats parts and labor. The local Mini dealer wanted 200 more.
If you buy the ~$55 pressure bleeder, it's v. simple and you can easily do it alone. Worth every penny.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you buy the ~$55 pressure bleeder, it's v. simple and you can easily do it alone. Worth every penny.

Agreed. Makes flushing brake fluid easy. Well worth it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion