GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 MK7 GTI 80K MILE REVIEW

bigbowwow

I drive 120 miles or more everyday for work and I just wanted to post my experience with my gti. I purchased it new in dec 2017. It's a 2017 gti se pp with the 6mt model. The car is dealer serviced (oil changes only) every 10k miles. I installed a cheap injen (i think its injen) short intake around 20k miles. At 60k, I added the Cobb tuner and purchased an ots map from MAPerformance which I have been on since then. The MAP tune is ridiculously nice. The cobb stage one dropped my mpg into the 20s and didnt have the kick I was looking for. The MAP tune not only brought my mileage back up, but it runs so much better. At 60k I also switched to the rs6 coils and plugs not because I felt mine were bad but because I wanted to see if it made a little more difference. Anyways, I am at 80k now and still on the factory clutch (a tad bit of slip around 5th but no slip when launching and doing hard pulls to 130+), factory pads and rotors, and all the factory suspension and steering components. I've seen a lot of belly aching about the clutches and brakes on the forums and just wanted to clarify that 90% of these people's problems are driver related and have nothing to do with the quality of the car itself. The factory tires are obviously crap so that I will verify. I switched to general G-MAX RS (235/45ZR17 W) and MR131 TRAKLITE Satin Black Wheels by MOTEGI RACING®. 17" x 8", 5x112 Bolt Pattern, 72.6mm Hub and that has been such an amazing improvement and I will never been using anything different. Okay thats my two cents and hopefully helps sway people towards purchasing a gti. (My previous vehicles was mazda 3 and 6, subaru sti, mercedes c300, audi tt, etc etc... This is the first car I have not gotten sick of and traded in prematurely.)
IMG_20200730_084226876.jpg
IMG_20200722_174311320_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. I have the same wheels except in bronze.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Pretty similar to my Mk5's life..... I didnt have to do the clutch or brakes until it hit 105k mi... half the time it was Uni stage 2 (with an APR HPFP, tons of torque)

These cars a great.... Other than oil and the spark plugs (and the DSG flush), there is nothing fancy about the maintenance....

Well... any plans for a walnut carbon clean? I did it on my Mk5 at 80k mi and the idle was considerably better....

bigbowwow

Oh yeah I also did the dogbone insert thing early on because the wheel hop drove me bonkers. I'm just now noticing my mpg dropping slightly so I assume the valves are gonna need cleaned up. I had been planning to do that when I put this new clutch in that Cobb told me I was going to need....... I bought one just in case and its been in my garage for a year.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Curious to have a pic, taken by the driver, with the car going 67mph.

Unless I'm seeing that wrong.

Otherwise, nice car. Stay safe out there.

bigbowwow

My bad. It was directly in front of my steering wheel with zero sight lines or coordination compromised. Removed it for the sake of everyone's safety.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Oh yeah I also did the dogbone insert thing early on because the wheel hop drove me bonkers. I'm just now noticing my mpg dropping slightly so I assume the valves are gonna need cleaned up. I had been planning to do that when I put this new clutch in that Cobb told me I was going to need....... I bought one just in case and its been in my garage for a year.

How early? What insert? I'm fascinated by subframe mounts now.