GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 HID vs 2021 LED differences, according to IIHS. Do you concur?

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I saw that the 2021 GTI LED headlights are only rated "A" for "Acceptable" by the IIHS. So, I looked up my 2017 SE, and the HIDs are rated "P" for "Poor"??? Really?? My wife's 2018 Civic (with only 23,000 mi) had headlights that were much worse (I upgraded them, of course.)
So... I was looking at the technical details... and the 2021 distances do indeed seem somewhat better than the 2017 distances. Has anybody driven both years, and noticed any difference? BTW, the 2017 high beams straight ahead seem to come up only slightly short of the "Optimal illumination", and likewise on a 150M and a 250M radius curve. The lows seem to be a bit short, "inadequate" on the gradual curve, but "fair" on the tighter curve.
The 2021 seemed to do better, except that the high beams were "inadequate" on both curves. In no instances do any of the headlights exceed "glare limits".

AHA!! Found the 2022 (MK8) because it is listed differently, not as a GTI but as a Golf GTI. Anyhow... the Autobahn trim is "Acceptable" due to the "High beam assist", the SE is "M" for "Marginal", since it doesn't have that. So, the low-beam curve scores are lower, but everything else looks similar to the Autobahn.

I've been happy with my 2017 SE headlights, at least in comparison with "normal" headlights. I drive on dark roads, so this matters, both low and high beams. I'm not saying that "Good enough is fine, I don't want better"... I've always upgraded my headlights (except these, which are already HID and pretty good). If there are upgrades available for the low beams, I'd consider that... if and when these beams go out.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
IHSS has extremely stringent standards for illumination. I think they are perfectly fine. Compared to some old trucks I had these are like night and day (literally).

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I don't notice much difference between the LP HID headlights from my 2015 GTI to the full LED headlights on my 2018 R.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Low beam LED have crisper cutoffs and don’t jiggle over bumps like the HID did. The bigger difference is the high beams, but I rarely use them.

thatblugli

Car(s)
2005 GLI, 2020 GTI
That’s interesting I find my ‘20 full Led setup to be fantastic. Though I did raise mine a touch after lowering the car

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I had HID's on my 2009 GTI and have LED's on my 2018 GTI. There's no comparison, the LED's are much better. The HID's were really good though

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Sometimes the headlights are aimed poorly from the factory. IIHS doesn't make any adjustments before testing IIRC, so this can affect test results. IIHS is also really really really picky.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
17 Sport with HID's

best car lights I've ever had/

the curve test.....mine swivel and it helps, however they only swivel when moving. I wonder about how/if that was included in testing

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
2000 Chevrolet S-10 with halogens = Meh
2006 VW GTI with HID = So much better (it was my favorite thing about the car and why I was so focused on finding a MK7 with LP)
2015 VW GTI with LP = Slightly better yet, especially the LED fogs (other than the color mismatch)
2022 Honda CR-V = We just got this and haven't driven it at night yet haha

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I came from halogens. So anything is better than those. My HIDs are worlds better.
this. I've had to upgrade the internals of every car I've owned so when I got my '18 with LED, I was beyond ecstatic. If you really need more light to be thrown down the road, you'll need spots

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
this. I've had to upgrade the internals of every car I've owned so when I got my '18 with LED, I was beyond ecstatic. If you really need more light to be thrown down the road, you'll need spots
I tried all manner of bulbs available in 99 on my Sonoma. It was all marginal upgrades. What they didn’t tell you back then was the brighter the halogen they higher rate of bulb failure. When I got my 2013 Civic, I was hoping for a 14 year newer car, better halogens. Nope. Terrible. I did find a minor upgrade that was somewhat better. Then I traded that for my R. I will say my wife’s Tiguan halogens are actually pretty decent. We were both shocked by that.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
What amazes me is halogens are STILL stock on brand new cars 🤦🏼‍♂️

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Best headlights I ever had were on my 2017 Mazda 3. The LED headlights system is fantastic. The projectors even turn with the car to help you see around corners.