GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTI Wait Time

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered a 2017 GTI SE on December 21st and was told that the standard wait time is 12-16 weeks. Last week, dealer contacted me and said that their order system is still showing that it will be arriving in April - which would be 16 weeks. Has anyone recently ordered a 2017 GTI and how long did you have to wait? I think I am sitting at around 7-8 weeks right now, and I guess I just can't imagine that it would actually take the full 16 weeks.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
2 things

1) did you add lighting package because not standard on SE
2) there aren't that many configurations, so surprised what you wanted wasn't available somewhere.
Basically
Manual or dsg
Color
LP or not

And none of these things answer your question :)

Good luck and welcome

pookyman

I'm in Northern California and placed an order for an SE with Drivers Assistanace Package in late October and still have not received it yet. It is supposedly finished building and is being shipped to the dealership now and should be here in less than a month supposedly.

I feel your pain -- dealership has also either been extremely unhelpful in communicating what's going on or they just don't have the tools / visibility to know where the car is in the process.

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep. I had to order as well because I wanted DAP. Initially, the dealer said that even though it says 12-16 weeks they wouldn't be surprised if it arrived in February. About a week after I ordered, they said something to the effect of "woops, since they will have to build it from the ground up rather than modifying one at the factory, it's definitely going to take 12-16 weeks."

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
I get it, but I don't know why they wouldn't offer the DAP without having to order. It's a cheap option that I think quite a few people would take if given the opportunity. Also, ordering was a bit of a nightmare given the whole "is it or isn't it a package?" confusion.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
If it actually takes until April that will be almost 4 months, which is an incredibly long time. And I feel like I have read and learned about nearly everything at this point... Ugh.

I feel your pain.
If it helps. The wait is worth it!
But, no matter how much I read, once I went to drive the car after pickup, there was so much I did not know. This little car was unlike any I have ever owned. The DSG stick is an adventure in itself with all it can do.

Now go back and sit in the corner and wait!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
(the dealership) they just don't have the tools / visibility to know where the car is in the process.

^^
this

Overseas they can track it and everything, not so much here.

Here they just put the order in & it sits there until it gets assigned a VIN and then they'll be able to see when it gets shipped/is in transit

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Don't trust your dealer with orders or time estimates. I waited 2 months for my "factory order" only to receive a dealer switch. Was exactly the config I wanted but still pissed me off as I wanted my first new car to come from the factory. When I asked about just waiting for the order to come through, I got an estimated wait time of another 2-3 months at best so I said screw that and just took the swap.

Just be on top of them. Call every week, harass them in person, be a pain in the ass so they don't brush you off with the "ya we ordered it" when they actually didn't. I learned my lesson.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I am not as familiar with VW procedures, but when we order our Porsches, the dealer is much more precise in regards to where its at in the build process. I'm not sure how your dealer is, but they may just be giving you a quick, conservative answer. He should be able to send a copy of the build sheet in process.

Last edited:

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
My dealer told me that they HAD to order it from the factory because they couldn't find any to do a dealer swap. This is because I wanted the DAP package. I also asked them about the official order receipt or build document or something, and the salesman just emailed me a hand typed list of the packages and stuff that I ordered. That's all I've been able to get from them. If it came to that and they never actually ordered it - even through they told me they did - I'd be pissed and would probably end up buying another car entirely.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I bet you're good. I can't imagine they would give you the runaround on a build. According to the build tool on the VW site, DAP is an Order Only option, so I'm guessing the dealer is correct.

I personally think sandman is right in regards to the wait... totally worth it. If you just can't wait, you could talk about sacrificing the DAP and replace your order with a car on the lot; I'm sure they would be fine with that as well.