GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Mini7, not sure if you have seen this but I thought it might be useful- a Speed Secrets Q&A for the Garmin Catalyst

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thanks that is helpful.
For those that are in the fence about the Garmin Catalyst, it provides areas of opportunity immediately after a session. I like mine.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Yeah I have been listening to all of the Ross Bentley Speed Secrets podcasts and watching the Garmin videos, etc.

The main take away for making the Catalyst work most effectively I've gathered:
If you're consistent and never try new things, you won't have as much opportunity. The system will only coach you into doing what you've -already done-. If you can do this to establish a baseline, then go out and deliberately brake harder earlier, or trail brake deeper into a turn, or play with apex location, etc etc then it will give you immediate feedback as to what worked best, and IMO most importantly you'll have the visual reference for future when trying to improve further.

My wife got me mine early for Christmas so I'll hopefully have some data to share after this coming weekend.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks that is helpful.
For those that are in the fence about the Garmin Catalyst, it provides areas of opportunity immediately after a session. I like mine.
Do you think it would b be helpful for autocross?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Recap from my weekend here: https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...-edition-hpde-shenanigans.401435/post-7908150
In a nutshell knocked a ton of time off my personal best... I estimate about half of it from driving improvement, half from the intercooler/RSB/trans tune.

Managed a 2:17.31 on stock power and stock shocks and springs. Pretty happy with that. More details with a video of my buddy running faster through the esses/T10 and Hogpen for reference in the build link above. Not going to spam this thread much aside from my own video.

Wish you could have made it Jose!

Attachments

• 1670815844086.png
    1670815844086.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 29

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Wish I could have been there.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Hope you don't mind me asking this here, but everybody here has knowledge so maybe one of you knows the answer.
I have Michelin PS4S tires and I plan to use them for HPDE weekends. I know they aren't the greatest for the track but my skill level is low enough that they will work well. But I picked up a nail the day and am going to get it repaired, they only have about 2k road miles on them.
My question is will a patched tire be ok on the track? Or do I need to pony up for a new tire.
Like I said my skill level is pretty low so I doubt they will be stressed to their limits so I'm hoping that a patched tire will be ok.
TIA!

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'd ask your tech, but if it wasn't near the sidewall, I'd full send.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
It's in the of center tread. Good idea though, I'll certainly check with the tech.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Hope you don't mind me asking this here, but everybody here has knowledge so maybe one of you knows the answer.
I have Michelin PS4S tires and I plan to use them for HPDE weekends. I know they aren't the greatest for the track but my skill level is low enough that they will work well. But I picked up a nail the day and am going to get it repaired, they only have about 2k road miles on them.
My question is will a patched tire be ok on the track? Or do I need to pony up for a new tire.
Like I said my skill level is pretty low so I doubt they will be stressed to their limits so I'm hoping that a patched tire will be ok.
TIA!
I got a large screw in a ps4s that only had like 400 miles on it this year. I called up tirerack and they said "absolutely not, don't drive a patched tire on track, we'll send you a new one". Makes sense since the little rubber patch is never the same type of rubber as the rest of the tire.

Last edited:

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input everybody. Makes sense, in the back of my head I knew its not a good idea but I was just hoping. Guess I'll have to budget new tires for my next event whenever that happens.