GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Who here will be at the PC Audi Club season finale this weekend at VIR? Really looking forward to trying out all this crap I did since last Nov.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Who here will be at the PC Audi Club season finale this weekend at VIR? Really looking forward to trying out all this crap I did since last Nov.

Come to the TSCC VIR December to VIRmember, lots of us MQB friends will be there including Terrence with his wagon.

Also if you want data we can throw my AIM solo into your car to compare stuff across sessions.

*Drives up in windowless van with "FREE DATA" on the side* 😅

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Come to the TSCC VIR December to VIRmember, lots of us MQB friends will be there including Terrence with his wagon.

Also if you want data we can throw my AIM solo into your car to compare stuff across sessions.

*Drives up in windowless van with "FREE DATA" on the side* 😅
I am planning on being at the TSCC event.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Unfortunately I will not be making the the Audi event this year.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok, Day 1 in the books at Audi Club HPDE at Virginia International Raceway. Full Course.

2018 Golf Sportwagen S w/4Motion + DSG.

Ambient temps started in the 60s and ended up at 80.

Max oil temp – 272.

Fuel – 93 + E85 for a E22-ish blend and a can of Liquimoly Speedtec.

Driver: 4 track days total now, all at VIR – green/novice run group.

Power: IS38 turbo, Unitronic software (ECU/TCU), United Motorsport Haldex tune, FBO, APR plugs/coil packs blah blah blah.

Suspension/chassis mods: H&R Sport springs, Bilstein B8s, Eurosport Street Camber Kit mounts (-0.8 deg camber), H&R 27mm f/25mm r. sway bars, 034 f. end links, Moog r. end links, Superpro aluminum LCAs (-0.8 deg camber/+1 deg caster), Tyrol f. subframe deadset kit, 034 r. subframe inserts, 034 full dogbone suite (pucks, inserts, arm), 034 Density line engine/trans mounts. -2 degrees total negative camber.

Brakes: APR 350mm BBK w/APR “Advanced track day” pads and stock 272mm r. brakes with EBC Yellowstuff, Motul RBF600.

Tires/wheels: 17x9 Apex VS-5RS forged (5mm spacers in rear) w/Accelera 651 Sport 255/40/17 @ cold 29r/28f.

OBDEleven: ECS off. XDS weak. Straight ahead brake stabilization off. Hydraulic brake assist off.

My best lap that I recorded....2:20...last year it was 2:30 on UHP all seasons, hybrid compound f. pads, and no chassis mods. Car is great. I really like the Accelera tires!

Here's my first attempt at a video of this...no idea why this is out of focus but fuck it, here you go.

https://youtu.be/TCtshBrGbgE

20221105_104424.jpg

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Car is looking good.
Had similar ambient temps at my last VIR outing with similar max oil temps.

Cutting 10-seconds of your time is huge.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Car is looking good.

Tires brake pads seat time.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Car is looking good.

Even with your oil cooler and triple pass radiator?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I saw oil temps up to 275 at the end with ambients at 80 pushing the car as hard as I can (not as hard as can be pushed with a better driver!). Car never missed a beat. So at 90+ outside, this would be an issue I think. I also got a white smoke plume on my last run going through turn 2....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Audi Club HPDE at VIR complete. Final notes to build on what I posted Saturday.

No videos unfortunately; the tech stuff is just a distraction for me at this point/trying to focus on learning. I was able to use my Dragy to get some lap times in a few sessions but unfortunately the last session which was what I thought my best it didn't work for whaetver reason..bummer....I really think I got my PR/under 2:20 on that run. Either way, 2:20 was a goal I had and I met it. I was also happy with the data below that I had 5 laps that were v. close (to me) in time showing consistency/better/smoother driving - I had a lot of fun/got more comfortable.

Car did well, a few minor hiccups. In terms of setup...power, suspension, tires, brakes...I wouldn't change anything. It's great the way it is. Oil temps were 270+ during every run so maybe that oil cooler is looked better than it did.

APR BBK with their "Advanced Track Day" pads. FUCKING FANTASTIC!!!

The Accelera 651 Sport tires. They were very easy to drive (for me...I'm somewhat of a n00b so keep that in mind), gave good feedback, predictable. Lots of noise. Settled in a hot pressure of 34-ish so cold/starting at ~29. They look v. good after the weekend. I had a lot of folks ask me what tires I was using and were suprised at the low cost and how well they were working for me.

On my last run my buddy in a 911 was following me and said I blew a white smoke screen through turn 2 (queue music from Spyhunter). He backed way off/thought I had an issue. I never noticed it. My oil level is a bit higher than it should be which *could* be part of that...or maybe that APR catch can needs to find it's way onto my car.

I had a few EPC issues for the WG but strangely enough it was not during the run...it was after I came in. Voltage is a little high/top end of the range at ~3.9 so will keep an eye on/may adjust it down to the magic 3.6. Talked to John from NGP about adjusting it and he said it's not unheard of to have some issues like that tuned based on how the ECU/tune deal with it and that it's high but not out of range. He recommended a WG adapation which I'll do today.

New APR plugs I tried this time were no-issue; 2-steps colder/0.020" gap (as they come).

My base model seats suck w/r to bolstering but I just did the lock the belt/slide forward trick which worked well enough. I really need to get some GTI front seats.

I ended up just leaving the DSG in sport mode...easier for me to just drive it and deal with a few sections where gearing wasn't the most idea...it does pretty well most of the time. Mainly Oak Tree where it hangs in third until you punch it out and it violently downshifts to second b/c it has 4th pre-loaded...I just need to slap the left paddle to second during the turn is really all.

Appreciate the sage advice from some of the experienced folks at the interwebz and of course my instructor Chris who basically let me go solo for 1/2 of the event with "homework" to work on and then de-brief after...really need to be in the lower intermediate run group next time.

Screenshot_20221106-161914_dragyLap.jpg
20221106_123453.jpg
20221106_071642.jpg
R.jpg

Last edited:

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
catch can needs to find it's way onto my car.
I assume 2 is a high-speed into heavy braking right-hand turn? It's just the PCV. You could try the newest version of the PCV (many people say this fixed their white smoke cloud), but I threw on the catch can and I have never had it happen since. Richmond stays pretty mild temp wise so I bet you could get away with running the catch can year-round. Colder climate people say the cans fill up quickly in the winter so people pull them off at the end of track season and reinstall them in the spring.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I assume 2 is a high-speed into heavy braking right-hand turn? It's just the PCV. You could try the newest version of the PCV (many people say this fixed their white smoke cloud), but I threw on the catch can and I have never had it happen since. Richmond stays pretty mild temp wise so I bet you could get away with running the catch can year-round. Colder climate people say the cans fill up quickly in the winter so people pull them off at the end of track season and reinstall them in the spring.
I did BL and CC. No more issues.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I like the white grocery. Must surely surprise a lot of people.
Thanks! I got a lot of folks asking about it...mainly "WTF is that thing...can't be stock!"...it flies.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That’s awesome! First time that I missed the Audi event in years.