GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
I went back and watched your 2:10 lap video. While my GT4 is a bit faster at the end of the long straights, your car actually pulls harder off the slow corners with its mid-range torque (once you get traction…) Surprisingly, data shows that my M3 is faster than the GT4 up to 120 when it hits 5th gear.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I’m getting close. When watching my 2:10.1 PB video at VIR i got held up by a Cayman on the front straight. He pointed me by but then kept his foot in it. I had to breath off the throttle and it cost me 10mph. This became apparent when I was doing the data overlay onto the video, but that is the way things go at DE’s. I was stoked with the 2:10 but it would have been super cool to get under 2:10 at VIR.

I’m working on some setup adjustments and getting my brake balance dialed in to find some more time, but I am driving the wheels off my car. I know I can get into the 2:09’s but I first need to run 2:10-2:11’s consistently as a driver. T1 and T12 need improvement as well as some testicular fortitude up the esses. 2:08’s are achievable, especially if I have a rabbit to chase. That is when I have set the most of my PB’s. But I also think you will improve in the GT4 as you get to know the car better.

@GTIfan99, VIR has two long straights, 3 if you count the uphill esses, so its a power track for sure. The IS38 definitely helps. Picked up 6mph on the straights, but it has also made the car more difficult to drive. The way the APR tune develops power makes me blow the wheels off at the most in-opportune moments. Looking at going with an EQT custom tune and actually dialing the power back and have the power/torque delivered in a more linear fashion. If I can get the power down better on the exit of T-12 onto the longest straight I think I can pick up some mph at the end of the straight.
You'll also like Cobbs TC. It's so much better than the VW TC. It's adjustable too.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I went back and watched your 2:10 lap video. While my GT4 is a bit faster at the end of the long straights, your car actually pulls harder off the slow corners with its mid-range torque (once you get traction…) Surprisingly, data shows that my M3 is faster than the GT4 up to 120 when it hits 5th gear.
E46 M3’s are so balanced. One of the best sounding motors out there.

Interesting. T1 and T12 is where I feel the GTi struggles. Medium and high speed corners feel better and I can carry speed and momentum.

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
It’s hard to compensate for the forward weight bias in low speed corners, so I can see how those turns can be problematic. Setting the car up for more rotation might be helpful at an autocross, but might get sketchy in the high speed stuff. I’ll take the low speed understeer.

My M3 is an E36, but it does have the E46 motor….

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Even better. Lower weight with more power.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
AMSOIL 15W50/00W40

I got my oil sample back today and was happy to see very little change in the wear elements. I took a sample after my DE at VIR April with 1340 miles on the oil. Viscosity was good. Fuel content was 4.4% on the new Injectors and after my carbon cleaning. Would have preferred the wear elements to be lower considering the low miles on the oil. With an additional 4120 miles the wear elements are almost identical but with 5460 miles on the oil. Fuel content has dropped to 4.09%. The oil is in great shape with plenty of additive package in hand.

Even though I have plenty of cooling headroom, I decided to put in a gallon of 15W50 for added protection on track and 3 quarts of 0W40 to make my 7-8-quart capacity. I would normally change my oil at 5k intervals using Liqui Moly or Motul. I plan on running this oil until Oct and replacing it prior to my DE at VIR. I will likely pull another sample end-September to check oil condition. I was a little concerned about the ability of the racingline stainless oil filter, but it appears to be doing the job.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
COBB EQT
Removed my APR tune today and installed the EQT IS38 91-Octane Tune. Getting the car ready for an EQT Dyno tune next week. The car pulls much harder in the lower gears. May have to dial that back for the track. This is going to be an interesting exercise.
I like being able to datalog: Oil temps on the dash gauge lags the Cobb data. My AMS IC does a great job keeping IAT’s in check.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
COBB EQT
Removed my APR tune today and installed the EQT IS38 91-Octane Tune. Getting the car ready for an EQT Dyno tune next week. The car pulls much harder in the lower gears. May have to dial that back for the track. This is going to be an interesting exercise.
I like being able to datalog: Oil temps on the dash gauge lags the Cobb data. My AMS IC does a great job keeping IAT’s in check.

Throw some 255 RT660's and full send. Lol.

But seriously, the spark based Cobb tc does a great job. Is it turned on in the OTS tune?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Not sure. I have an EQT tune loaded.
Still figuring out how this all works. Haven’t found where to adjust TC. Full throttle in second gear is useless.

About to install a set of non-projected plugs. Need to get a spacer for the rear O2 sensor. And recheck wastegate voltage.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not sure. I have an EQT tune loaded.
Still figuring out how this all works. Haven’t found where to adjust TC. Full throttle in second gear is useless.

About to install a set of non-projected plugs. Need to get a spacer for the rear O2 sensor. And recheck wastegate voltage.
When you purchased, there were drop downs to request certain features, like LC, FFS, and TC.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I requested the revised TC. But I have found where you can adjust that.

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Cobb ABS Pump Heatshield

Ever since I added my down pipe, I was concerned about the radiant heat and its effect on the brake fluid on track. The temp strip I put on the ABS pump has not changed color but I figure that area will get radiant heat from the cherry red DP. Added some, heat reflective tape for extra protection.

DF7E33E0-5CD8-4FCC-8609-668D65E7378B.jpeg