GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
OBD Dongles?

Has anyone used Vbox/Racelogics OBD Dongle to capture engine data to overlay onto GoPro video?

https://www.vboxmotorsport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=129

Vbox makes good data loggers, so I am hoping this unit is decent quality and will pair with Track Addict to capture some basic engine functions.

What are folks using to capture additional engine data? OBD11 is too cumbersome to use at the track.

I posted what I use here with my Iphone. automatic logging seems to not work very effectively when you are constantly in and out of the car repeatedly. But setting for manual logging right before you head up to grade is just fine. Highly recommend it.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ing-to-be-testing-obdfusion-next-week.401821/

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Ferodo DS1.1 GTi PP Rear Pad

Folks who are regulars on my thread will know that we have been debating the merits of going to a more aggressive rear pad to improve brake balance by moving the some of the bias rearward. @DerHase has provided great input and has a track buddy who has tested this setup on an R at VIR. Currently the DS1.11 is not available for the rear axle on a PP equipped GTi.

EssexParts will have Ferodo do a production run in the DS1.11 compound if I can get a minimum of 5 people to order. I’ve already got that but I figured there must be more Track Rat’s out there running DS3.12’s up front with DS2500’s on the rear axle. Pricing will be a few dollars more than the DS3000’s. I’m guessing that it will be similar to the R’s price of $335-$340/set. All off this is yet to be confirmed.

Who else wants in on a set of rear Ferodo DS 1.11’s?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I'm in for at least two sets if necessary. Need good pads and my buddy said it worked amazingly well. Going to see if there's any useable data from the last few times he went to VIR hopefully later tonight.

I loved the 3.12 fronts, just needs 1.11s out back to balance it out. Best part is they play nice with DS2500s for daily use to keep wear off the track pads. I have no problem swapping pads each event, but I do NOT want to have to screw with the rear rotors at all 😂

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ferodo DS1.1 GTi PP Rear Pad

Folks who are regulars on my thread will know that we have been debating the merits of going to a more aggressive rear pad to improve brake balance by moving the some of the bias rearward. @DerHase has provided great input and has a track buddy who has tested this setup on an R at VIR. Currently the DS1.11 is not available for the rear axle on a PP equipped GTi.

EssexParts will have Ferodo do a production run in the DS1.11 compound if I can get a minimum of 5 people to order. I’ve already got that but I figured there must be more Track Rat’s out there running DS3.12’s up front with DS2500’s on the rear axle. Pricing will be a few dollars more than the DS3000’s. I’m guessing that it will be similar to the R’s price of $335-$340/set. All off this is yet to be confirmed.

Who else wants in on a set of rear Ferodo DS 1.11’s

I might be interested. Let me research what compounds they have for my fronts, which are 1001 backing plate.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
@GTIfan99
DS3.12 front and DS1.11 rear would be the way to go based on those running with the 3.12’s up front.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
@GTIfan99
DS3.12 front and DS1.11 rear would be the way to go Based on those running wit the 3.12’s up front.
Yeah, i just need to see if they make 3.12 in 1001 backing plate.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Folks I’m going to spin this topic into its own thread. A part number has yet to be created for a GTi rear axle, as a result there is no firm pricing yet. Inferring from the current price point between the GTi and R pad prices, guesstimate a similar price point to the R’s DS1.11
EssexParts is essentially in my back yard. Let me firm up a few details and then I will create a separate thread for those who want to buy a set of DS1.11

Their Spiegler brake lines are great quality lines. They are little more expensive but all stainless fittings and construction. Most lines are stainless braid only with plated fittings.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Anybody doing FSR PCA at VIR mid-Oct?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I think you will be leading in a GT4. It will be fun having a rabbit to chase. Excuse the pun. 🤣

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think you will be leading in a GT4. It will be fun having a rabbit to chase. Excuse the pun. 🤣
I think you'll be closer than you think. I was 9 seconds slower than my buddy's GT4 at Daytona, we're both pretty close driving wise, he's likely a better driver though. That was both on 200tw, my car stg 1. I could keep up with him in the infield, but he'd walk away on the straights. You've got more power and a much better setup than I do and VIR doesn't have straights like Daytona. The GT4 was 10 to 15 mph faster than I was on the straights, and I was hitting 148 on the front.

Last edited:

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
I had it up there in May with Track Advantage and was only able to do 2:08.xx. From the posts I’ve seen some of you guys are getting very close to that. I’ve done high 2:05 in my M3, so I was a bit disappointed that the GT4 wasn’t faster. I’m still learning the car, so there’s more in it. I’ve had 23 years to learn the M3…. Never got to VIR with my R.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m getting close. When watching my 2:10.1 PB video at VIR i got held up by a Cayman on the front straight. He pointed me by but then kept his foot in it. I had to breath off the throttle and it cost me 10mph. This became apparent when I was doing the data overlay onto the video, but that is the way things go at DE’s. I was stoked with the 2:10 but it would have been super cool to get under 2:10 at VIR.

I’m working on some setup adjustments and getting my brake balance dialed in to find some more time, but I am driving the wheels off my car. I know I can get into the 2:09’s but I first need to run 2:10-2:11’s consistently as a driver. T1 and T12 need improvement as well as some testicular fortitude up the esses. 2:08’s are achievable, especially if I have a rabbit to chase. That is when I have set the most of my PB’s. But I also think you will improve in the GT4 as you get to know the car better.

@GTIfan99, VIR has two long straights, 3 if you count the uphill esses, so its a power track for sure. The IS38 definitely helps. Picked up 6mph on the straights, but it has also made the car more difficult to drive. The way the APR tune develops power makes me blow the wheels off at the most in-opportune moments. Looking at going with an EQT custom tune and actually dialing the power back and have the power/torque delivered in a more linear fashion. If I can get the power down better on the exit of T-12 onto the longest straight I think I can pick up some mph at the end of the straight.