GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I like wagon's and I cannot lie.. Have fun!
Thanks! It does pretty good...driver needs a lot more help..hahahah. Hoping now that I've done it once last year I will have more fun now that I understand the basics and have a more appropriate set of brakes.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
See ya at VIR. Have a safe journey.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Yes. I’m in the pit rooms and will be in a garage. Stop by.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Ready for VIR
59BF8F71-B009-44B3-8568-3D37250A07BF.jpeg

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Ready for VIR

Looks good, hopefully I can get out there one more time by end of year. For the low oil temps on the road, I've read that the better thing to do is to block off your louvers by putting the under-hood dampening material back on when not on track. As much as I've read about others with those installed, they really lower your coolant temps when not in a race environment and in effect lower your oil and trans fluid with it.

I can't imagine the oil cooler is keeping it 30-50 degrees too cool before hitting wide open thermostat. In my DSG with a 185f thermostat and a 16 row cooler, baffled oil pan and CC I can still hit 200f on oil no problem after 10-15 minutes.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Great time at VIR. Met Mini7. Two days at with the Audi Club. Novice/Green group. 3 total track days under my belt here...I'm still a nOOb but am getting better. IS38 Unitronic GSW 4Mo w/DSG. Newish Pilot Sport All Season 4s (now melted). APR BBK was on point but pads (aggressive street/light track) are looking thin. Got to do my last 2 runs solo which was great. I was consistently getting 2:30 laps at the end...I'll take it. Smiles for days. My instructor kicked ass. Wagon got lots of looks/discussion for sure!

Car setup summary:
2018 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion w/DSG
IS38 Unitronic FBO w/United Motorsport Haldex tune
H&R Sport springs w/Bilstein B8s, H&R rear sway bar
APR BBK with aggressive street/light track pads, stock rear brakes with EBC Yellowstuff, Stoptech slotted rotors, stainless lines. Motul RBF600 brake fluid.
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s at stock pressure when hot (37 psi)
ECS set to Sport, XDS set to Weak, all other settings stock
Liquimoly Molygen 5W40 w/MoS2
93 + E85 for an E25 blend, Liquimoly Speedtec additive

20211106_164820.jpg
20211106_164915.jpg

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Great time at VIR. Met Mini7. Two days at with the Audi Club. Novice/Green group. 3 total track days under my belt here...I'm still a nOOb but am getting better. IS38 Unitronic GSW 4Mo w/DSG. Newish Pilot Sport All Season 4s (now melted). APR BBK was on point but pads (aggressive street/light track) are looking thin. Got to do my last 2 runs solo which was great. I was consistently getting 2:30 laps at the end...I'll take it. Smiles for days. My instructor kicked ass. Wagon got lots of looks/discussion for sure!

Car setup summary:
2018 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion w/DSG
IS38 Unitronic FBO w/United Motorsport Haldex tune
H&R Sport springs w/Bilstein B8s, H&R rear sway bar
APR BBK with aggressive street/light track pads, stock rear brakes with EBC Yellowstuff, Stoptech slotted rotors, stainless lines. Motul RBF600 brake fluid.
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s at stock pressure when hot (37 psi)
ECS set to Sport, XDS set to Weak, all other settings stock
Liquimoly Molygen 5W40 w/MoS2
93 + E85 for an E25 blend, Liquimoly Speedtec additive

View attachment 230046View attachment 230047
Did you have the front seat pulled and instructor in the back? Watched the video and I’m like where’s that other voice, lol.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Where did you get your numbers, the ones on the front door? Are they reusable?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Did you have the front seat pulled and instructor in the back? Watched the video and I’m like where’s that other voice, lol.
This is solo! I have some with him in the car, just havne't had time to grab those off my GoPro.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Oh. Swore you were speaking with someone else 🤷‍♂️
I see now, you’re giving yourself notes on the GP.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Where did you get your numbers, the ones on the front door? Are they reusable?
They are resuseable! V. HD vinyl - hard to get on without some bubbles but they held. I don't have the name handy but I'll post it later today when I get back to my car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
It was good to be back at VIR with Potomac Audi. Got to see some old track buddies and got to meet some of the folks on the forum. There were quite a few GTi/R’s at the track which was awesome to see.

I had a mixed weekend. The boost flutter appears to be gone with the new APR plate. It doesn’t make sense as it is essentially a vacuum leak, but I saw 40psi on the gauge in 4thdown the back straight and was seeing 138-140mph.

Struggled for grip under braking. Had trouble trail braking to the apex. Had trouble getting the power down over 4500rpm. T1 to T2, exit of T3, exit of T10, T15 apex & exit, Hogpen onto the front straight. Running R888R’s was new for me , but I was expecting similar performance to the NT01’s. I was definitely off my game driving wise.
The best I could do was a second off my PB.

I logged one session on my OBD11. Ambient temp 54F, so the air was much cooler than my previous trip to VIR. Oil maxed out at 262F and coolant at 214F. IAT delta to ambient varied between 9F to 27F above ambient as the session progressed. This is also very dependent on % throttle application. Max boost 29.3psi (corrected) had an AFR of 12.9