GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
A BBK makes a huge difference as you get faster. Running with PCA means 25-30 minute session and you are right. It makes for a more enjoyable weekend. No more quick brake bleeds between sessions and in the evening. I kicked myself for not going to a BBK sooner. We are running within 2-3mph of one another down the straights With very similar sector times on HLT. Your are using slightly different setpoints on HLT. VIR 2014 and I’m using the older VIR map. Only difference is in sector 1.

The Potomac PCA event end of August is likely my first weekend back at the track. I’m interested to see how the Wavetrac is going to perform. Looking for better grip out of T1 and Oaktree.

king526

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi S3
Awesome!! 2:14 is fast. You are wheeling your car hard at VIR. Do you run a GoPro?

I had to cancel my first event in early April due to work. Waiting on a set of shorter springs to sort out my rear ride height. Waiting on my BBK to go into production and then the Apex wheels to ship. My Spring track calendar got messed up due to COVID supply chain issues.

Ive added a Wavetrac and IS38, so my Vmax is going to pickup 8 maybe 10mph Down the back straight.

Nitto doesn’t make a 255-35-18, so I’m looking at R888R’s. Also trying to figure out my rubber options for the 18x9’s.
Have you looked at the Nankang AR-1's. I got a set in 255/40/17 and waiting for the Apex wheels to ship to try them out. I'm currently running NT-01's and love them. Have friends that switched from NT-01's to AR-1's and all I hear from them are good things about the tire.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Does anyone have any feedback on how consistent the AR-1’s are over the life of the tire? They are still relatively new to the US market so not sure whether any track rats have wore through a set?

I know they are faster than NT01’s.

My questions are whether they are:
1) Consistent to the cords like NT01’s?
2) Heat cycle out?
3) Can the handle a 30-min DE session?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I remember seeing a GRM comparison test and they were the fastest of the tires tested, most consistent over 10 laps, and wore the best. R888R was one of the other tires, I'd never heard of the third tire and can't remember the name, but was super cheap and didn't do very well.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
New DE Tires???

So I’ve been looking around for new tires. I’ve got a set of Apex SM-10 coming in 18x9 et42 for the track.

I will be selling my 17” track wheels with half worn NT01’s. Also have a set of 17” Pirelli DH take offs that I didnt get to use that I need to sell with the move to 18’s.

255-35-18 is the sweet spot in terms track fitment. They are my street size and my NT01’s are 255-40-17. No rubbing issues. I’ve decided against R888Rs as I’m looking for more grip and that would be a lateral move at best.
A052’s & RE71R’s will not hold up to a full 30-min session.

The list narrowed down to Toyo RR’s which come in 255-35.

The Goodyear Supercar 3R is also on my list based on the good feedback on here.
However, 265-35-18 is very aggressive For a GTi.

Today, I started thinking about a reverse stagger 3R setup……..?
265-35-18 fronts and 245-40-18 rears

Will need to think of my setup if I run reverse stagger. Maybe dial in a little more rear toe in. Will need to figure out my tire pressure balance front to rear. The 245’s will build heat.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Today, I started thinking about a reverse stagger 3R setup……..?
265-35-18 fronts and 245-40-18 rears

Will need to think of my setup if I run reverse stagger. Maybe dial in a little more rear toe in. Will need to figure out my tire pressure balance front to rear. The 245’s will build heat.
Curious about the reverse stagger setup, +1 vote from me. I'm still considering it for autox but tire availability caught me out early this year

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn’t recommend the 3R for autocross use. They have less grip than all season rubber until they get hot, and street driving (on the ZL1, at least) won’t get them warm enough for them to start working.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Installed a set of BFI stg1 Engine Mounts and Trans Mounts. Pretty straight forward. Also installed a Revo hockey puck in the subframe.

Definite bump in NVH. More than my camber plates and poly suspension bushing. My car sounds like a TDi. The rattle from the Sachs SMF and sprung clutch plate is more pronounced at idle and throttle lift-off.

Hopefully this will ease over the next couple weeks.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Installed a set of BFI stg1 Engine Mounts and Trans Mounts. Pretty straight forward. Also installed a Revo hockey puck in the subframe.

Definite bump in NVH. More than my camber plates and poly suspension bushing. My car sounds like a TDi. The rattle from the Sachs SMF and sprung clutch plate is more pronounced at idle and throttle lift-off.

The reason I'm in a GTI now is I went overboard on my NC3 STR build.

I'm trying to be very careful about increasing NVH, at least until it's no longer my daily.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
<snip>

It does, they softed up to the point that I am actually a little bit disappointed (other than NVH). Still much/improved over than stock, still some NVH at idle, but the part thats disapointing is the cripsy smooth as butter shifts that the mounts gave me on day one, are now still much better than stock, but not as nice as before they broke in.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I wouldn’t recommend the 3R for autocross use. They have less grip than all season rubber until they get hot, and street driving (on the ZL1, at least) won’t get them warm enough for them to start working.
What are the 3R’s like in cold temps on track? I’m assuming a longer warm up phase but the then good to go….?

Looking back at your comparison of the 255 NT01 to 245 3R, do you think the 265 3R’s will fit in the front of a GTi?? Wheels will be 18x9 et 42
Ive stood up the coil-over at the camber plate by 10mm or 1 degree, which will give me some wiggle room to the inner fender at lock. I can gain that degree back with the Verkline LCA, by moving the lower ball joint outboard.

The 3R has a very round shoulder profile which should make it easier to tuck under the fender.

My MPS4S in 245-40-18 would rub under heavy compressions and over the curbs at VIR due to the overall diameter of 25.7”. I have stiffer springs and more camber flexibility compared to then.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
1LE SS on 3R was number 1 pax yesterday. He switched from RE71Rs and really liked them.

Edit, he is in SC3. My mistake.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The reason I'm in a GTI now is I went overboard on my NC3 STR build.

I'm trying to be very careful about increasing NVH, at least until it's no longer my daily.
As most of you on here know, I’ve erred more on the side of track performance with my “ dual” duty car. I’m good with the camber plates and the stiffer springs. I dodge potholes Like a crazy person. There is NVH on broken asphalt and more tire noise on concrete. No issues on smooth roads.

This is a definite bump in NVH with these mounts. At idle and while driving.
The car feels very connected to the road. My previous dogbone puck had failed and I was getting some wheel hop and shudder while reversing. With the BFI mounts in, the pendulum brackets bolted right up. No need for a pry bar to rock the trans to get the bolts to line up.

Anyone who is concerned about full spherical camber plates and has BFI mounts. Just put the plates in.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
It does, they softed up to the point that I am actually a little bit disappointed (other than NVH). Still much/improved over than stock, still some NVH at idle, but the part thats disapointing is the cripsy smooth as butter shifts that the mounts gave me on day one, are now still much better than stock, but not as nice as before they broke in.
Thanks!

Everything definitely feels very connected. I was breaking my A/S Michelin’s loose in second with the failing dogbone puck. Curious if it’s was just the tires……? Less slop should definitely aid better traction.

Reactions: q74

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The NVH has already started to settle after a couple days driving. The reverse judder has disappeared. The failed Revo hockey puck was the cause of that. The replacement puck was way more difficult to insert. Block of wood and a 4lb hammer to hammer it home. The first one went in by hand with some dawn liquid soap. The slop from the OE Engine/Trans mounts may have contributed to the first Revo puck failing?????

The BFI mounts are quality pieces and the Stg1 spec is already limiting movement when compared to stock mounts.

If the new Revo craps out, then I will need to find another pendulum mount solution.