GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Mostly interested in the endlink clearance issues. Do you think the spherical endlinks were necessary or could you have avoided the issues with the superpros just with less negative camber?
To add a datapoint, I think this depends on the endlink connection location on the strut which we don't really discuss. Some coils have the eyelet for the endlink further from the strut body than others. That and the shape of the endlink (as Mini pointed out going to the lower profile endlinks) are important.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
My car is paid for and I still bought the track insurance for the VIR Audi event in November. $180 for $35k + 10% deductible for 2 days. Worth it. Came off the track in turn 14 and ended up down the hill past turn 15...no damage but was glad I had peace of mind.
20201115_211638.jpg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Alignment today with maxed out camber on the GC camber plates and SuperPro ball joints. Either way, it will be a massive improvement from the -1.5* I had previously.
View attachment 196319
My alignment shop keeps a running list of VIR Lap times 😎
View attachment 196320
So -3 up front and -2.4 rear camber.
That will help on track. The front camber will help front end grip. I’m interested to see how the added rear camber helps tire wear patterns.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
So -3 up front and -2.4 rear camber.
That will help on track. The front camber will help front end grip. I’m interested to see how the added rear camber helps tire wear patterns.

Trackdaze released their schedule for 21, so I’m planning on doing VIR and Summit Point Shenandoah. What other clubs do you run with?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Potomac Audi- ACNA
Carolinas PCA
Zone 2 PCA
First Settlers PCA
Potomac PCA

Are my normal go to Clubs for VIR. I want to also give Chin a try. Heard good things about them.
Not a fan of Track Daze.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Never been to a track daze event, why do you not like them?

I did one chin day and I was surprised by the number of out of towners and high quality drivers. One guy drove his Porsche 10 hrs on re71r, tracked two days, then drove back home.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Trackdaze released their schedule for 21, so I’m planning on doing VIR and Summit Point Shenandoah. What other clubs do you run with?

Read through your build thread. Like what you have done with the car. The Stoptech BBK will help you drop time at VIR. You are already fast at 2:17. The BBK will allow you to be more consistent and get down to your virtual best. The track alignment will help as well.
Just ordered a Wavetrac for my car. Looking forward to how that will impact my corner exit speeds. VWR oil cooler is on my winter mod list.

Your NT01’s will likely last longer than another 2- days. Mine have the same build up on the inner edge of the rear tires. Got 12-days on mine and am at the same level of wear. Granted mine are 245-40-17’s, so may wear a little slower than yours. My understanding is that when the grooves wear away, you are at 50% and the second half is likely to wear slower than the first.

I need to post some photos of my tire wear.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Never been to a track daze event, why do you not like them?

I did one chin day and I was surprised by the number of out of towners and high quality drivers. One guy drove his Porsche 10 hrs on re71r, tracked two days, then drove back home.

Driving ability in the intermediate run groups are a mixed bag. More so than the mainstream clubs. Car prep questionable. Had a few mechanicals stop sessions to tow cars to the pits.

Plenty of track time with Chin.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
NT01 Tire Wear- 255-40-17 (12 track-days)

Rear Tires had rubber build up along the inside edge (-2 degrees)
Left Rear
73196714-1569-40D9-8965-91104C74B577.jpeg
3995E5DF-72D1-42C1-9164-0D6BFCC7614C.jpeg

I’m surprised about the build up on the inside of the rear tires. Any ideas?

Rear outside edge - Left Rear
D75996B5-BEF0-4D30-BC76-1D930110238E.jpeg
71373575-A40E-4A01-A3E9-D22D96F33725.jpeg

Right Front (-3.4 degrees with .36 degrees total toe out)
Inside edge has a distinct shiny worn angle to it. The left tire has this same wear to a lesser degree but does not have the same shiny worn edge.
This includes 700 miles of street miles to and from the track which is the likely cause of the inside edge wear.
659AC5F5-F2E5-4A18-A1D1-782F28608319.jpeg
522C93B7-A1CF-41CD-9CAF-66761917F97D.jpeg

Left Front
Feathered wear pattern along the outside edge. Both left and right have this same feathering along the outside edge but it is more prominent on the left hand front. Mostly right turns at VIR.
46EC79AD-FE01-412F-8F49-A1F358030049.jpeg
9A63F2A0-5602-4053-A0B4-EAF6A8D2F809.jpeg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Your setup is leaning towards tires with larger slip angle than what the nitto provide. That rear edge wear would indicate too much camber. The street miles should not affect the wear like that in such low use. You're also running high spring rates in the rear which is very unloaded and light, thereby reducing a lot of roll and decreasing traction on that axle. Everything combined, you need less camber there, or a higher slip angle tire (slick), dramatically soften dampening, or go back to the stock sway bar. With that much camber your front shouldn't be wearing like that. It's either being pushed into understeer from too fast entry, the spring rate or dampening are too soft, the bar is too small, or there's a front to rear balance issue.

If you're not ready for a true slick, maybe try another 100tw designed for greater slip angle like the nankang, maxxis, or toyo rr. I think you just need to bite the bullet and go R7. They can resist the heat this platform gives in the front end...

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Potomac Audi- ACNA
Carolinas PCA
Zone 2 PCA
First Settlers PCA
Potomac PCA

Are my normal go to Clubs for VIR. I want to also give Chin a try. Heard good things about them.
Not a fan of Track Daze.

Admittedly, I would prefer the tech inspection be more thorough at Track Daze. It’s very much left up to the individual participants to inspect their car, so I think that’s the mentality they have. I typically run in the black group (advanced) and find that I can get a lot of track time for the money. I will say that Track Daze runs during the week, not the weekends, which I tend to like because it saves my weekends (because kids).

I always see the Audi club arrive on the Friday in November that Trackdaze is leaving. Lots of nice cars and the whole turn signals vs point-by’s seems interesting. I may give them a try this year.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
With that much camber your front shouldn't be wearing like that. It's either being pushed into understeer from too fast entry, the spring rate or dampening are too soft, the bar is too small, or there's a front to rear balance issue.
I'd also add that with the tires being non-slick, the sidewall might need more rim width to better support the tread.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
NT01 Tire Wear- 255-40-17 (12 track-days)

Rear Tires had rubber build up along the inside edge (-2 degrees)
Left Rear
View attachment 197752View attachment 197753
I’m surprised about the build up on the inside of the rear tires. Any ideas?

The inside edge is getting hot and picking up OPR (other people's rubber) on track.

Maybe normal, maybe too much camber, depends on a lot of factors.