GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I agree. Reducing grip via spring rate is definitely preferable over beefy anti-sway bar! Some of the guys racing a4 and gti that I've run into are running 800-1100# rear rates with Hoosier a7. The one guy running 1100 was in an a4 wagon and running 650# fronts. He also gave me details of his rear valving and he was actually running on the softer end vs what I expected for 1100#.

Mini, what's it like with 3.3 camber on the road? My Z with 3.6 can't drive a straight line in paddock without me fighting the wheel, lol. It follows every tiny rut or crack it finds! 😅
My garage neighbor at VIR was has an E36 M3 running high spring rates front and rear with no swaybars.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Has anyone logged coolant temps via OBD11?

In the engine module there are target and actual temps for engine outlet and radiator outlet but no logging function unless I’m missing something or need to go somewhere else to log.
I looked once and couldn't figure it out either. I ended up digging up this old Bluetooth obd2 reader (elm327 flavor if I recall) and hey it could read coolant temp into torque pro! You can get those for next to nothing on Amazon. It's also what I use to connect to harry's lap timer.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
What oil and water temps were you getting with the R? I cannot remember whether you are tuned?

I will be adding an oil cooler over the winter. Need to look into hood louvre options to evacuate the underhood air and heat. Curious as to whether there are any aftermarket hood options that are functional.

No tune atm, reviewing a recent log over a full (20 minute) session; ambient between 70f -> 76f, oil temps peak at 270f peak, 255f average, coolant temps peak at 230f peak, 218f average, iat at 98f peak, 89f average. Again, they are "fine", but I'm still not happy with them.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Does anyone know what's up with kook RS4's? Looks like almost none available. Can't find any in 17" sizes at all, anywhere.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
No tune atm, reviewing a recent log over a full (20 minute) session; ambient between 70f -> 76f, oil temps peak at 270f peak, 255f average, coolant temps peak at 230f peak, 218f average, iat at 98f peak, 89f average. Again, they are "fine", but I'm still not happy with them.

Similar oil and water temps to my Stg1 tuned IS20 with pretty much the same HP as a stock IS38.
What are using to log the data?

I was concerned that I had an issue but it appears that this is normal for the track. I have a 19-row Setrab oil cooler that I will use with the VWR oil kit.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
Similar oil and water temps to my Stg1 tuned IS20 with pretty much the same HP as a stock IS38.
What are using to log the data?

I was concerned that I had an issue but it appears that this is normal for the track. I have a 19-row Setrab oil cooler that I will use with the VWR oil kit.

I use RaceChronos Pro via OBDLink MX+ (and Garmin GLO2, 10Hz GPS) for track-data logging

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
APR is at VIR so I will have a word with them. Looks like they are testing a Porsche at the track.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
VIR- Friday new PB

Quick update. I smoked my previous PB by 3-seconds. I’m down to a 2:13 So super stoked. I tightened up the Ohlins front and rear by 2-clicks (5-F/8-R). 28.5psi front and 31.5psi in the rear for the NT01’s gets me to a square hot setup of 38-ish psi in a 30-min session.

The Ohlins revalve by 3DM Motorsports and stiffer rear springs has worked a treat. I have very predictable rear yaw which means I can go to gas sooner. It’s hard to call it loose because I hardly have to apply any steering correction and when I do they are small inputs. If I go in hot, I got to get ready to apply opposite lock.

Oil is still getting to 275. So a 19-row cooler is going in over the winter. Catch-can had 500ml of chocolate milkshake. I had overfilled the oil by about 2-300ml. When I checked the oil, it was right on the full mark. It’s starting to get cold, so more moisture/water getting captured......?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
My guess is that with the speed you're carrying you're going to see more oil in the catch can. It might just be time to go to a baffled oil pan. With more oil I'd catch a bit more sooner, but typically with the bfi can I'm seeing about 0.2L per 4 sessions.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Nice. 2:13 is moving along for a FWD econobox. Makes me think about getting serious with my R....

Nope. Too many track cars in the garage now!

First world problems. Lol. Hey as long as you are taking them to the track.

6 point bys over a 3-day DE, so real good for a FWD econobox. 3 to the 700hp tuned APR 911T, a GT3, a GT4 and a Carrera 4S. A successful DE for a GTI

The car is handling well. Still got some fine tuning to do on the suspension. Get the overheating under control. Also got to figure out what’s going on with traction control. Even with it disabled, the light was flashing. Didn’t pay it any mind but saw it in my peripheral vision. Had my hands full keeping it on the shiny black stuff.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
My guess is that with the speed you're carrying you're going to see more oil in the catch can. It might just be time to go to a baffled oil pan. With more oil I'd catch a bit more sooner, but typically with the bfi can I'm seeing about 0.2L per 4 sessions.

IABED is on the winter mod list. It’s meant to have an AN10 bung but I also seen posted that it doesn’t. If so, may just get one welded in and plumb the catch can drain to the sump. Any water will get vaporized over 185F. Definitely getting more in the catch can with the low torque tune.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That’s a great lap time. Well done

Thanks! Got 3 laps in the 2:13’s and the. A bunch in the 2:14’s and 2:15’s. I got the ring rust shaken off 2-weeks ago and the Audi event. 2:16 was the best I could manage then.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks! Got 3 laps in the 2:13’s and the. A bunch in the 2:14’s and 2:15’s. I got the ring rust shaken off 2-weeks ago and the Audi event. 2:16 was the best I could manage then.

I'm late to this thread, but have enjoyed catching up on the build. I have a mk6 GTI and VIR is by far my favorite track. I typically run with Trackdaze, which usually runs the few days prior to the Audi Club weekend event. They run the Grand Course one day and Full Course the next. My times are typically in the 2.17 range with my Stage 2 mk6 on NT01s.

One question I did have for you is regarding the Vorshlag camber plates. I'm in the process of planning install and I noticed a significant increase in stack height compared to the OEM strut mount/bearing assembly. Have you heard of these increasing ride height?