GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Ok, so you’ve got absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. Got it, thanks for stopping by.

It’s a Gti, you think 20lbs is going to make me lose control. Go take your google PHD somewhere else
Woah man. No need to get defensive, I'm just pointing out what a concern might be for those trying to tackle performance goals.

20lbs on the nose makes a huge difference. There's a reason most production based race cars run headlights removed.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Woah man. No need to get defensive, I'm just pointing out what a concern might be for those trying to tackle performance goals.

20lbs on the nose makes a huge difference. There's a reason most production based race cars run headlights removed.

Nobody in this thread has a race car, they’re all Golfs and a A3 with inherently bad weight distribution right off the showroom floor.

It’s just annoying that you’d throw that out there when realistically not only would the difference be moot at the driving experience level of everyone in this thread it’s equally irrational to add the weight anywhere else. It’s not like we’re all going to remote mount the cooling system in the hatch of our daily drivers...not one person in this thread drives for more than a hobby nor do the TCR race cars take such drastic measures.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Nobody in this thread has a race car, they’re all Golfs and a A3 with inherently bad weight distribution right off the showroom floor.

It’s just annoying that you’d throw that out there when realistically not only would the difference be moot at the driving experience level of everyone in this thread it’s equally irrational to add the weight anywhere else. It’s not like we’re all going to remote mount the cooling system in the hatch of our daily drivers...not one person in this thread drives for more than a hobby nor do the TCR race cars take such drastic measures.
There are a few people around that to do club racing and winning within the rules is in their objective. No, they are likely not pros, but to assume someone doesn't care about added weight at the furthest forward point of the car because it's a golf is a bit off.

The tcr cars have very different cooling stack designs and run the turbo within its efficiency range. Apples to oranges.

Anyway, I'd rather not argue on mini's thread, but feel free to email me, and I'm happy to chat. :)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
There are a few people around that to do club racing and winning within the rules is in their objective. No, they are likely not pros, but to assume someone doesn't care about added weight at the furthest forward point of the car because it's a golf is a bit off.

The tcr cars have very different cooling stack designs and run the turbo within its efficiency range. Apples to oranges.

Anyway, I'd rather not argue on mini's thread, but feel free to email me, and I'm happy to chat. :)

Not here to derail the thread or argue either, just trying to push the platform and allow those who’re making more than stock power the cooling overhead to use it.

Speaking of Mini7 I’m looking forward to picking his brain on setup notes from this falls events

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I met you with my brother at your paddock spot. It was funny hearing about you embarrassing Camaros/Mustangs at the drag strip. Your car was a blast at VIR too I bet
Oh in the Audi and your brother had to go get your pads in Raleigh?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The red warning page for over temp comes up automatically at 280F coolant temp 🥺 ask my poor Gti how I know.

This is why I’ve got this idea waiting to turn into reality, hopefully this winter so I can have a real cooling solution for 2021.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-mk7-cooling-solution.371514/

Just cliff notes on core size:

-OEM RAD 1.2”

-CSF RAD 1.6”

-RAD/oil cooler thickness 3”

(This occupies the space of both the OEM radiator and IC, so a true FMIC is required).
Looking forward to seeing your radiator And oil cooler combo.

When I spoke to APR last year at VIR they mentioned that the cooling system is undersized. I’m surprised they haven’t come up with a solution.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Yea, even after the CSF install this year on the R (Main + Aux), I find that my water/oil temps are higher than I'd like by the end of the session. Still an improvement, but still get high enough for me to be uncomfortable.

I think for me the next step I'm going to try is some sort of hood venting.

What oil and water temps were you getting with the R? I cannot remember whether you are tuned?

I will be adding an oil cooler over the winter. Need to look into hood louvre options to evacuate the underhood air and heat. Curious as to whether there are any aftermarket hood options that are functional.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Looking forward to seeing your radiator And oil cooler combo.

When I spoke to APR last year at VIR they mentioned that the cooling system is undersized. I’m surprised they haven’t come up with a solution.

I still haven’t got anything back from the shop in Ohio, but June was a long time ago so I’m planning to follow up again (our last emails were in July).

With APR being such a large company it’s probably hard for the R&D guys to get cleared for projects that wouldn’t sell thousands of units like an intake or stage 1 tune. After all track driven MQB probably make up 1-2% of the platform.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Ohlins and Increased Rear Spring Rates
450lb Front (7 Clicks) -3.3 Camber/9 Caster/.36 degrees Total Toe Out
672lb Rear (10-Clicks) -2 Camber/.2 Total Toe in
Revalved by 3DM Motorsports

So YouTube is giving me fits. Cannot figure out why I cannot upload any new videos. They want access to everything.

Really happy with the way the car is handling at VIR.
The stiffer rear spring rate is definitely the right way to go. The only understeer is driver induced. Carrying a little to much corner entry speed or applying to much steering. It’s not crazy loose but it demands respect. The car turns in well. Got into a tank slapper on the exit of T-10 that got my attention. Made me a little cautious through my favorite part of the track. The uphill esses and down through T-10. The car is really strong down through the roller coaster. I was able to gap my buddy in his M3 easily. I have to learn to exploit the new grip and rotation onto the front straight. I feel I can carry more speed through Hogpen, just to need to get consistent at not slowing down to much coming down the hill. Getting more front end grip with the new setup.

The rear has some yaw/slip but I’m not needing opposite lock. Just adding throttle and I’m dragging the rear straight.
Inside rear is lifting regularly. My buddy reckons I will go faster if I kept all four wheels on the ground. Lol.
My initial impression is that I can extract speed from the car way easier than before. Just need make some driver adjustments and build consistent lap times. Some clear track will help.

Long story short, the car is definitely more capable with the new setup.

Some video courtesy of my Buddy.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I met you with my brother at your paddock spot. It was funny hearing about you embarrassing Camaros/Mustangs at the drag strip. Your car was a blast at VIR too I bet
I'd love to see some video footage - do you know of any for the green group?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Ohlins and Increased Rear Spring Rates
450lb Front (7 Clicks) -3.3 Camber/9 Caster/.36 degrees Total Toe Out
672lb Rear (10-Clicks) -2 Camber/.2 Total Toe in
Revalved by 3DM Motorsports

So YouTube is giving me fits. Cannot figure out why I cannot upload any new videos. They want access to everything.

Really happy with the way the car is handling at VIR.
The stiffer rear spring rate is definitely the right way to go. The only understeer is driver induced. Carrying a little to much corner entry speed or applying to much steering. It’s not crazy loose but it demands respect. The car turns in well. Got into a tank slapper on the exit of T-10 that got my attention. Made me a little cautious through my favorite part of the track. The uphill esses and down through T-10. The car is really strong down through the roller coaster. I was able to gap my buddy in his M3 easily. I have to learn to exploit the new grip and rotation onto the front straight. I feel I can carry more speed through Hogpen, just to need to get consistent at not slowing down to much coming down the hill. Getting more front end grip with the new setup.

The rear has some yaw/slip but I’m not needing opposite lock. Just adding throttle and I’m dragging the rear straight.
Inside rear is lifting regularly. My buddy reckons I will go faster if I kept all four wheels on the ground. Lol.
My initial impression is that I can extract speed from the car way easier than before. Just need make some driver adjustments and build consistent lap times. Some clear track will help.

Long story short, the car is definitely more capable with the new setup.
Love seeing all the trends towards higher rear springrates for the track cars. I jumped in with my suspension setup pretty aggressive (and unproven) so it's nice to see the community as a whole figuring this chassis out

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Love seeing all the trends towards higher rear springrates for the track cars. I jumped in with my suspension setup pretty aggressive (and unproven) so it's nice to see the community as a whole figuring this chassis out
I agree. Reducing grip via spring rate is definitely preferable over beefy anti-sway bar! Some of the guys racing a4 and gti that I've run into are running 800-1100# rear rates with Hoosier a7. The one guy running 1100 was in an a4 wagon and running 650# fronts. He also gave me details of his rear valving and he was actually running on the softer end vs what I expected for 1100#.

Mini, what's it like with 3.3 camber on the road? My Z with 3.6 can't drive a straight line in paddock without me fighting the wheel, lol. It follows every tiny rut or crack it finds! 😅

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The camber on the street isn’t an issue.
Will likely back it off for street driving to mitigate wear.

With the additional caster and high camber, I have the slightest tire rub on the passenger side inside fender liner. Nothing major. Guessing it’s extreme parking lot maneuvers.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Has anyone logged coolant temps via OBD11?

In the engine module there are target and actual temps for engine outlet and radiator outlet but no logging function unless I’m missing something or need to go somewhere else to log.