GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah, but I don't drive anywhere for a week or two at a time sometimes, so those ultra low capacity batteries would die very quickly. Kessy and all of the other constant on stuff would definitely make sure of that. Even with my agm, during winter when I don't drive for 4 weeks+ I have to hook up a battery tender.

If you can deal with those, then the minimum Brail I've found that meets the minimum CCA req (per vw) was 19 lbs i believe.

Isn't the factory battery 380 CCA? I found several with 480 to 680 CCA.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hmm, mine said 460cca on it pretty sure. Maybe they're different based on trim? I had dcc and fender audio... I think the stop/start ones have a larger agm battery.

Just looked at mine, it's 480 CCA 40aH, 45 lbs, that's with keyless entry. I'll look at the S to see if different when my son visits. A decent replacement is $200 and last 3 years or so.

The battery I'm looking at is 680 CCA 22 aH, which is 60 ah in AGM equivalent, and 6.3lbs. $375. Lasts 1 to 2 years, but several of the manufactures have 3 to 5 year warranties on them as long as you don't run the battery low and damage it. No doubt it would take more care. Maybe a cutoff at the battery for leaving the car sitting for any amount of time if you aren't DDing?

My only real concern is charging amps. I think that's why these LiPo's die early in cars. I'm trying to figure a way to limit the charging amperage. I can shield the battery from radiated heat, but not from the heat of charging at 140 amps.

Also wondering if smaller battery would have any positive under hood airflow benefits?

But back to Mini's thread. With the difficulty in fitting the big triple pass radiator, have you thought about Evan Waterless coolant. We used to use it in the race cars( A Huffacker built 1275cc, a 1750 and 2000 Alfa race engines ) Stuff has been around since the 80's. 370 deg boiling point and lower pressure. I prevents the coolant from flashing to steam in the head and creating hot spots. Might be a good fit in this application if you can't fit a larger radiator and might work well even if you do get it fitted?

Last edited:

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I'm noticing Australia has a ton of choices for LiPo batteries designed for racing. US, not so much. Must me a regulations thing. Love your channel and wish we got the CS and CSS here.

Thanks mate. (I wish we got the CSS too) Yeah we have a few options. There are some from Europe as well. I think you have Anti Gravity Batteries which look very similar to Lithumax. Just more expensive. With the poor Australian dollar the Lithumax would be a steal for you guys. I'm sure they would ship to the states.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Rear Wheel Bearing

As part of my preventive maintenance, I have bought a set of new wheel bearings. Both FAG/SKF are good quality German bearings.
FAG’s for the front
SKF for the rear
I was disappointed to see that the rear bearing is not a sealed bearing like the front.
Not sure is this seals up when you torque the rear axle bolt.....?

Question, do the rear bearings need to be packed with grease before installation?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Rear Wheel Bearing

As part of my preventive maintenance, I have bought a set of new wheel bearings. Both FAG/SKF are good quality German bearings.
FAG’s for the front
SKF for the rear
I was disappointed to see that the rear bearing is not a sealed bearing like the front.
Not sure is this seals up when you torque the rear axle bolt.....?

Question, do the rear bearings need to be packed with grease before installation?
The repair docs I have don't list anything about greasing the bearing during installation, it lists "The wheel bearing unit is maintenance free and has zero play. Adjusting or servicing is not possible!" It could be covered somewhere else in the repair manual though, that's just what I found.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The repair docs I have don't list anything about greasing the bearing during installation, it lists "The wheel bearing unit is maintenance free and has zero play. Adjusting or servicing is not possible!" It could be covered somewhere else in the repair manual though, that's just what I found.

Thanks!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
AMS IC and CSF Radiator Install

So I have the car mostly back together. Long story short, I have some clearance between the fan shroud and my radiator hoses. Where the plastic IC charge pipes were touching before, I now have some wiggle room. It’s still tight but I am much more comfortable with the clearances that I have. It was a long shot trying another IC. I’m relieved that it worked out. Would have been super expensive trial and error install. :oops:

I did re-route the engine harness under the IC charge pipe. It is well out of the way now. I removed one of the secondary air lines and ran it over the harness. The AC lines needed some gentle bending and I shortened one of the bumper/chassis rail mounting bolts that was nearly touching the AC line.

I also moved those rubber donuts on the radiator hoses to potential chafe spots. That was the hardest parts of the install. They must be glued on.

The removal of the IE IC went smoothly, so I will has a very very lightly used IE IC up for sale in perfect condition (2,000miles since my March install).

For a tuned car, hot ambients and running on track, increasing the cooling capacity is highly recommended. I may still need an oil cooler for running in Summer 90F days, but in the spring and late fall, I may be able to get away with just the radiator.

I will post a more detailed write up for those wanting to install the larger CSF radiator and Upgraded IC.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
AMS IC & CSF Install

The Link to my initial attemp with the IE IC for reference: https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-gti-pp-at-vir.351754/post-7406654

Second attempt to get the CSF Radiator to fit with an aftermarket intercooler. This time with an AMS intercooler. The following photos are after installing the AMS IC & CSF radiator.
The only change made was to remove the IC charge pipe and re-route the main engine harness underneath it. Previously the harness was touching the center of the fan shroud (with a reroute higher up & over the top of the IC charge pipe). Another detail change was to shorten the RHS (passenger) frame rail to bumper mounting bolt as it came very close to the AC lines.

1. Engine Harness rerouted under the IC charge pipe & secondary air tube. Zip tied the harness over the starter solenoid.
6DE8C485-0D3D-4C8C-8483-0F8E883B0835.jpeg

2. Reposition the rub protection donut. Both IC plastic carge pipes no longer touch the fan shroud. Upper radiator hose clearance is now 12-15mm from the fan shroud.

EE966B5A-BF25-4A46-ACFB-08BD603508A7.jpeg

3. Lower IC charge pipe no longer touches the fan shroud.

6924EE7A-47BA-4CFA-BF49-46C5530D450B.jpeg
0ADC1CE1-AA42-493E-A0E6-CBD84B07FEE7.jpeg
3B3CC0FA-E24D-440A-A333-C1046EA65854.jpeg

I do not have a good picture but the IC charge pipe to the throttle body also has clearance to the fan shroud, whereas before it was touching. You can see the pipe leading up to the TB below.
31298373-BBA8-4C69-B93C-DA8F8EAEC418.jpeg

4. I shortened the chassis rail to bumper mounting bolt - lower inside corner to clear the AC line

560F067A-2AF2-4214-8A88-20FD9598E35C.jpeg

C157F700-07BE-4B26-BA9B-86C075872BA7.jpeg

5. Sealed the gap between the CSF radiator and the fan shroud. I used some 3M AC aluminum duct tape.
1B38B70C-680C-47E6-A8C5-68AF3E958A90.jpeg

There is a big difference in the amount of clearance between the IE & AMS IC. Both units appear to be well made. There is only one way to install the IC. This is not a complicated install. The IC location is fixed by the mounting brackets in the radiator support. The photos illustrate the increased clearance with the AMS IC vs. the IE IC. I have been in touch with the CSF factory in California, their test car was an R with an IE IC. They tell me that their European office has sold radiators fitted to FWD GTi’s running IE IC’s. This combination unfortunately did not work out for me. I did not do anything different on my second install. I made some detail changes regarding the harness routing and shortening the chassis rail bolt.

Hope this is helpful for other folks who track there cars on a regular basis or for those who run in hot ambients And want to run both upgraded IC & the CSF radiator.

Stay Healthy Folks!!
Here is a combined pdf of both my IC/CSF installs.

Attachments

• AMS IC_CSF Raditor Install.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 231
Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
My bet is you'll definitely need an oil cooler, but good to see more data!

I've got the louvres all done and I got a chance to play with the diff adaptation reset. I used obd11 and the first attempt didn't make any noises. I then depressed the brake and tried a second time and there was an audible "click-thwack" with the window open. I drove the car around and the starting from a stop had less vibration. It was raining out, so it was a good time to test slip. I took the car on a roundabout and intentionally gave it a big jab of the throttle in second gear at 40 mph. This might be placebo, but lockup felt ever so slightly faster and there was less bucking left to right.
20200520_190358.jpg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Looking good! Dig the louvres.

I bought an oil cooler kit. and have a 19-row Setrab cooler to install.

thanks for the VAQ info. That’s on my maintenance list as well.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Slight tangent - anyone ever play with the steering assistance values on the track? I've always hated the light steering feel (even the value for "sport" mode felt light) so I was changing the values yesterday, all the way from 100% to off. I found they 50-60% was a nice compromise

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Nope. Didn’t know it was an option.

Been more concerned with brake feel and the influence of XDS with VAQ perfo