GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Ive heard good things about the Catalyst. I think if I ever get to solo I’ll get one. Right now it would probably just tell me I could save seconds per corner if I would grow a pair, 😂
The thing with the catalyst and it works for it and against it. Is that it can only advise you to do something you have done before. This suits someone who is constantly pushing and open to trying different lines and different ways of taking a corner. If you just do the same thing every time without enough variation (you are too consistent) then it can’t offer you as much. I need to remind myself of this sometimes to just try something different. I’ll know really quickly if it works or not as I can review the data after the session with the video so I know what I did. If it was the best way you can add it to the race coach with a click of a button.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
You raise a good point with the Catalyst.
I like seeing consistent times on my LapTimer. Within a couple tenths. Normally only happens when I have some clear track.
My PBs have come when I have been chasing cars a couple seconds faster than myself. Just squeezing a little extra on the throttle, braking a fraction later, carrying a little extra corner speed.

What are your settings on the GoPro 9? The quality is really good.
I need to mount a camera inside the cockpit so I can see what I’m doing with my hands. I have a headrest mount and have been looking to get a second GoPro.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
My next set of track day tires.

Im still bouncing between the Toyo RR’s in 255-35-18 and the Goodyear 265-35-18’s.

Having installed an IS38 with APR tune, I’ve gained 65hp and I have installed a Wavetrac LSD.
im thinking that that RR’s or 3R’s are an intermediate step before R7’s and the crack addiction to grip the Hoosiers provide. The R7’s grip will likely induce more roll and require more spring rate. So additional develop to get the best from the tires.

Spoke to the folks at Trackdaytire. The RR’s will give me 1.5seconds over the NT01’s at VIR. R7’s about 3seconds. The 3R’s will likely be the same as the RR’s or fractionally faster as they are wider than the RR’s.

Im really temped by the 3R’s. If I cannot get the 265 to fit in the rear then I can get two 245-40-18. I’m likely to wear through 2 sets of fronts to 1 rear.

The RR’s are the cheaper and easier route.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
This wasn't my absolute fastest lap. Went a tenth quicker but didn't get it on the GoPro.
Top speed for me on the straight is 224kph (139mph) and a lot of the time to go after on this track is down to your bravery into T1. I'm not there yet still braking too much and not carrying enough speed.
Good run! Recognize that track from MCM...

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
You raise a good point with the Catalyst.
I like seeing consistent times on my LapTimer. Within a couple tenths. Normally only happens when I have some clear track.
My PBs have come when I have been chasing cars a couple seconds faster than myself. Just squeezing a little extra on the throttle, braking a fraction later, carrying a little extra corner speed.

What are your settings on the GoPro 9? The quality is really good.
I need to mount a camera inside the cockpit so I can see what I’m doing with my hands. I have a headrest mount and have been looking to get a second GoPro.
1080P60, wide, -1 EV correction. Thats pretty much it.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Good run! Recognize that track from MCM...
Yes! They have done lots of videos at this track. It is my local track in Sydney. This one I posted is one of the short configurations "north" we call it. Standard configuration is the GP circuit.
For reference. Moog's best lap in the Lotus was 1:54 (the Pro driver did a 1:49). Mine in the GTI is 1:45 :cool:

Last edited:

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Do you run any image stabilization? Sometimes I love hypersmooth, sometimes I hate it. I wish I could keep roll and pitch correction on but turn off yaw, would be perfect for auto use then.
I've been running with it on but I'd like to try it off as I think it will give a better sensation of speed.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m still on a GoPro 4 silver. But want an in car camera angle. I thought you were using a higher resolution than 1080P.
Is spot metering still a thing with the 9? So it doesn’t under or over expose?

im also curious about the image stabilization. I don’t want to see vibration but I would want to see slip/ yaw to gauge the cars attitude. Also how the car may pitch sideways when taking curb, but not the vibration from running over the curb.

Im impressed with the picture quality. My YouTube videos are decent, but no where near the same picture quality and I know the 4’s don’t have the stabilization software.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I’m still on a GoPro 4 silver. But want an in car camera angle. I thought you were using a higher resolution than 1080P.
Is spot metering still a thing with the 9? So it doesn’t under or over expose?

im also curious about the image stabilization. I don’t want to see vibration but I would want to see slip/ yaw to gauge the cars attitude. Also how the car may pitch sideways when taking curb, but not the vibration from running over the curb.

Im impressed with the picture quality. My YouTube videos are decent, but no where near the same picture quality and I know the 4’s don’t have the stabilization software.
I used to use a 5 and the difference to the 9 is night and day. You don't need to worry about the spot metering at all or EV correction. There are good deals on the 9 too as they want you to subscribe. Which is worth it anyway as you get 50% off all the accessories.
I'm going to put a second race seat in the car soon so not sure how I'm going to mount it then. Using a headrest mount for now.

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
I use a hero 8 black. My settings are EV -1.5 2.7k and 60fps. I run with stabilization completely off. Someone needs to bother gopro to give us a setting for in car stabilization that works correctly. I do software stablization using 'translation' algorithm in free davinci resolve. These are my resuls:

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I use a hero 8 black. My settings are EV -1.5 2.7k and 60fps. I run with stabilization completely off. Someone needs to bother gopro to give us a setting for in car stabilization that works correctly. I do software stablization using 'translation' algorithm in free davinci resolve. These are my resuls:

I use Davinci I'll have to give that a go. Your results are pretty good. Video is not jittery and doesn't look like you are standing still.

Last edited:

replicate

Go Kart Newbie

Also first thought when watching, "wow that GTI sounds good"! Then realised it was the Honda lol

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Picture quality is really good. What are you using to capture data?

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Also first thought when watching, "wow that GTI sounds good"! Then realised it was the Honda lol

Right! My car sounds somewhere between an EV and a vacuum cleaner.

Picture quality is really good. What are you using to capture data?
A bit more info here.

I cature position data with a DIY 20hz GPS setup that was about $75 in parts. I am still playing with configuration and antenna placement because I get more drift than I'd like--may eventually require a MCU to do informed filtering and noise rejection.

For car data I use a OBDlink. Not using it to its full CAN request potential currently. Only getting OBD2 data right now. Endgame I'd like brake, throttle, steering, VAQ current, oil temps, knock in that order of importance

I use racechrono for overlays. It doesn't support exporting just an overlay so that requires an extra step. Would like to switch to a different app