GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Amazing results, got the class and type win. Next fastest was an M2 Competition. Knocked 1.5s off my PB using the A050 (lap time 1:10.5 so significant improvement). Not really utilising extra grip available in slow corners so that needs practice. Setup needs a bit of work. Way too much rear end grip now. Even after stiffening up the rear 3 clicks. Only have one more click to go. I may need stiffer springs too with the extra grip. Could feel more body roll.
I put the Zestinos back on for the last session and gained 0.5s on those tyres as well. I think running the A050 gives you confidence which meant I pushed the lower grip tyres further. As I know the car has done it. Interesting psychology there.

It amazes me how much these cars get tighter as the tires get grippier. Main reason I stopped chasing setup past mid season last year, as my tires were already starting to heat cycle out.

Here for the video's too.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I just ordered a set of RE71RS (note the capital S) for a time attack competition next month. Has to be 140tw or better so can't run the Yoko A050. Really hunting for a podium but will have some stiff competition including an RS3 with a TTE700 and an exceptional driver plus a 2021 Supra which are insanely fast on track even stock.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That is some strong competition for essentially an econobox hatch-back. All be it a limited edition in your case.
You getting 265 square?

Did you manage to get any photos of the right rear clearance? Any planned setup changes for the next event?

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
I just ordered a set of RE71RS (note the capital S) for a time attack competition next month. Has to be 140tw or better so can't run the Yoko A050. Really hunting for a podium but will have some stiff competition including an RS3 with a TTE700 and an exceptional driver plus a 2021 Supra which are insanely fast on track even stock.
Enjoy!

I wish Bridgestone would bring the RE-71RS to the U.S.
I like the RE-71R (directional), but would prefer the RE-71RS (asymmetrical) design.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Enjoy!

I wish Bridgestone would bring the RE-71RS to the U.S.
I like the RE-71R (directional), but would prefer the RE-71RS (asymmetrical) design.

It's crazy they aren't bringing it to us.

king526

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi S3
Have you taken a look at the new Nankang CR-1's, they're a 200tw tire that is supposed to be pretty competitive in the street tire class. They also come in 255 or 265 sizes in 18. I recently ordered a set of the Nankang AR-1's and can't wait to try them out, just waiting for Apex to ship out their wheels from the group buy.
IMG_0419.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m interested to see how they hold up to a 30-min DE session……???
And
How consistent they are over the life of the tire?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
That is some strong competition for essentially an econobox hatch-back. All be it a limited edition in your case.
You getting 265 square?

Did you manage to get any photos of the right rear clearance? Any planned setup changes for the next event?

I filmed it but was a bit of a fail. Didn't capture the actual gap. All I can say is that it doesn't rub or touch the strut or the fuel hose. But I suspect the fuel tank design and hose could be different on our cars as I've heard others having issues fitting 9"

I will need to do some setup changes as I wasn't 100% happy with how the car felt with the square setup. Just too much grip in the rear and that was causing some understeer mid corner and on exit. I like it a lot more twitchy on exit. After speaking to my setup guy he suggested raising the rear a touch. The heights are not quite balanced as I've raised the front a touch for clearance and moving from a 40 series to a 35 series tyre in the rear has exacerbated this issue that I was just stiffening the rear to counter, but I'm out of adjustment now.

This wasn't my absolute fastest lap. Went a tenth quicker but didn't get it on the GoPro.
Top speed for me on the straight is 224kph (139mph) and a lot of the time to go after on this track is down to your bravery into T1. I'm not there yet still braking too much and not carrying enough speed.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Have you taken a look at the new Nankang CR-1's, they're a 200tw tire that is supposed to be pretty competitive in the street tire class. They also come in 255 or 265 sizes in 18. I recently ordered a set of the Nankang AR-1's and can't wait to try them out, just waiting for Apex to ship out their wheels from the group buy.
View attachment 216241
I've used their AR1 and isn't that impressed. They are heavy and lack feel. They are quickish when new but heat cycle out quickly.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
You getting 265 square?

Ended up with 255, last set in the country. No 265 available.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I filmed it but was a bit of a fail. Didn't capture the actual gap. All I can say is that it doesn't rub or touch the strut or the fuel hose. But I suspect the fuel tank design and hose could be different on our cars as I've heard others having issues fitting 9"

I will need to do some setup changes as I wasn't 100% happy with how the car felt with the square setup. Just too much grip in the rear and that was causing some understeer mid corner and on exit. I like it a lot more twitchy on exit. After speaking to my setup guy he suggested raising the rear a touch. The heights are not quite balanced as I've raised the front a touch for clearance and moving from a 40 series to a 35 series tyre in the rear has exacerbated this issue that I was just stiffening the rear to counter, but I'm out of adjustment now.

This wasn't my absolute fastest lap. Went a tenth quicker but didn't get it on the GoPro.
Top speed for me on the straight is 224kph (139mph) and a lot of the time to go after on this track is down to your bravery into T1. I'm not there yet still braking too much and not carrying enough speed.
Great video quality. Which GoPro are you using?
Also what are you using to track laptime data? I’ve made inquiries with one of the largest Aim Dealers to ask Aim to develop the ECU drivers for a plug and play solution for Mk7’s. No harm in asking.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Great video quality. Which GoPro are you using?
Also what are you using to track laptime data? I’ve made inquiries with one of the largest Aim Dealers to ask Aim to develop the ECU drivers for a plug and play solution for Mk7’s. No harm in asking.
Its the latest Gopro 9 Black. Has really good video quality.
I’m using the new Garmin Catalyst. Doesn’t have can input but a really impressive device. I love it. Actually finds me time straight away.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Ive heard good things about the Catalyst. I think if I ever get to solo I’ll get one. Right now it would probably just tell me I could save seconds per corner if I would grow a pair, 😂