GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
1LE SS on 3R was number 1 pax yesterday. He switched from RE71Rs and really liked them.

Edit, he is in SC3. My mistake.
Interesting.
Not too many tires out there that has better steering feel than the RE71. Based on the warm up required didn’t sound like the 3R would be suitable for Auto-X.
Good to know that the less track focused SC3 is a great tire.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I was curious, so stacked my 17” Pirelli takeoffs next to my NT01’s. The difference was more than I thought it would be.
255-40-17 NT01’s vs 245-620-17 Pirelli DH. No clearance issues with the slicks.

D66698AF-77E7-446E-8E18-F1585D6532C5.jpeg

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
New DE Tires???

So I’ve been looking around for new tires. I’ve got a set of Apex SM-10 coming in 18x9 et42 for the track.

I will be selling my 17” track wheels with half worn NT01’s. Also have a set of 17” Pirelli DH take offs that I didnt get to use that I need to sell with the move to 18’s.

255-35-18 is the sweet spot in terms track fitment. They are my street size and my NT01’s are 255-40-17. No rubbing issues. I’ve decided against R888Rs as I’m looking for more grip and that would be a lateral move at best.
A052’s & RE71R’s will not hold up to a full 30-min session.

The list narrowed down to Toyo RR’s which come in 255-35.

The Goodyear Supercar 3R is also on my list based on the good feedback on here.
However, 265-35-18 is very aggressive For a GTi.

Today, I started thinking about a reverse stagger 3R setup……..?
265-35-18 fronts and 245-40-18 rears

Will need to think of my setup if I run reverse stagger. Maybe dial in a little more rear toe in. Will need to figure out my tire pressure balance front to rear. The 245’s will build heat.
I’ve been running reverse stagger for the last 12 months with good success. 255/35/18 and 235/40/18. I’m using Zestino 07RS which I don’t think you get in the states. Great tyres and really cheap. A little slower than RE71RS (new version note the capital S) cost 1/3 the price and will do a longer session. The bridgestones will only do 2-3 flat out.
That being said im going back to square 265/35 now on Yoko A050. As I got some for a good price. If they don’t work I’ll stagger them again with 245s.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
What wheel off-set are you running? And what is your ride height FTG.

Im guessing that the Clubsport has the same fuel filler arrangement as the R so the right rear isn’t an issue for you with 265 section tires.
Im assuming you getting good front to rear balance in terms of rotation? Good progressive rear slip…….?

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
What wheel off-set are you running? And what is your ride height FTG.

Im guessing that the Clubsport has the same fuel filler arrangement as the R so the right rear isn’t an issue for you with 265 section tires.
Im assuming you getting good front to rear balance in terms of rotation? Good progressive rear slip…….?
I've run the 265 on 18*8.5+35 which isn't the ideal size for the tyre but they did fit. The rear is no problem. The front I get rubbing on the inside front due to the amount of caster I'm running. New wheels are 18*9+42 which should be similar. I don't think I will have issues with the fuel filler from what I can see. I don't believe I have an R tank. Would be GTI but I have a feeling NAR and ROW have different fuel tanks. You don't really rear anyone talking about that issue here with aggressive wheels

I haven't run square since fitting the PSS10 and H&R RSB (hopefully will be this weekend). But running staggered with the stiff RSB the rotation is fantastic. I don't really need to trail brake as much anymore. Downside is not being able to rotate tyres. More frequent tyre purchases.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've run the 265 on 18*8.5+35 which isn't the ideal size for the tyre but they did fit. The rear is no problem. The front I get rubbing on the inside front due to the amount of caster I'm running. New wheels are 18*9+42 which should be similar. I don't think I will have issues with the fuel filler from what I can see. I don't believe I have an R tank. Would be GTI but I have a feeling NAR and ROW have different fuel tanks. You don't really rear anyone talking about that issue here with aggressive wheels

I haven't run square since fitting the PSS10 and H&R RSB (hopefully will be this weekend). But running staggered with the stiff RSB the rotation is fantastic. I don't really need to trail brake as much anymore. Downside is not being able to rotate tyres. More frequent tyre purchases.

Wanting to be able to rotate tires is the main reason I run square and use rear toe out to get it to rotate, instead of a stagger setup.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Wanting to be able to rotate tires is the main reason I run square and use rear toe out to get it to rotate, instead of a stagger setup.
So that's what I used to do too. Problem is I found it really unstable under brakes if you get too aggressive with it and you still need to trail brake like crazy to make it work. New shop I go too for my setup advised me to go in a different direction with the stiffer rear bar, toe in front and back and use the adjustment on shocks to dial in or out how much rotation I want. So far so good. I'm faster than I've ever been and have confidence in the car to push it hard.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So that's what I used to do too. Problem is I found it really unstable under brakes if you get too aggressive with it and you still need to trail brake like crazy to make it work. New shop I go too for my setup advised me to go in a different direction with the stiffer rear bar, toe in front and back and use the adjustment on shocks to dial in or out how much rotation I want. So far so good. I'm faster than I've ever been and have confidence in the car to push it hard.
Seeing as I'm mostly autocrossing with a few track days a year, I'm ok with having to trail brake, it's needed in autocross with a fwd car. I can see how your setup is better on track.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Hey, thanks for all the feedback.

I was planning on dialing back the rear toe (0.1 decimal degrees total, about 1.2mm), but was concerned about the two high-speed brake zones at VIR. The back straight has an uphill which allows you to brake late but it also means that you are turning in at the same time from 136mph. Currently running .14 degrees total rear toe in.

Front straight is downhill and low grip heading into Turn 1. I find the rear getting squirrely going into T1 at VIR as it is.

Then there are two medium speed brake zones that are tricky as you are braking/trailing while using a fair amount of steering input. Heading into T3 turn-in and then the T11-12 Oaktree complex.

I do like how the front of the car reacts with Toe Out and will keep the front toed out. With the IS38 power and additional Vmax, I need to think about my rear toe settings for VIR. The margins for error get really tight as the speeds increase. I’m expecting to be north of 140mph going into the brake zones.

Going to a 265/245 front/rear stagger will be new setup territory for me. The rear tires should heat up better/faster than a 265 square setup and I would likely run the same starting tire pressure’s front to rear with a staggered tire setup.

My current 255 square setup starts with the rear 3psi higher then the fronts. I add a half pound to the RHS for VIR and end up with a square hot tire pressures at the end of a session.

My reason for a staggered tire setup is more around fitment. The Goodyear 3R doesn’t come in a 255. I like the idea of a 265 to tame the power up front. And I know that the 245 will fit in the rear. I can then test fit the 265’s in the rear and figure out a longer term solution for more tire room.

As for additional rear rotation, I will likely increase the rear rebound before going to the stiffer setting on my RSB. I’m already at a higher rear spring rate at the rear - 8k/12k.

Andrew when you are swopping wheels, please post some photos of the Clubsport fuel tube. When you fit the A050’s on the 18x9 et42’s, post some fitment photos. Clearance to the coil overs in the front. Lock to lock clearance to the lower front fender liner. Right rear fuel filler clearance. Overall outer fender clearance.
Its still a couple weeks to my Apex wheels arriving and I need to figure out what my tire options are going to be for this season.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Hey, thanks for all the feedback.

I was planning on dialing back the rear toe (0.1 decimal degrees total, about 1.2mm), but was concerned about the two high-speed brake zones at VIR. The back straight has an uphill which allows you to brake late but it also means that you are turning in at the same time from 136mph. Currently running .14 degrees total rear toe in.

Front straight is downhill and low grip heading into Turn 1. I find the rear getting squirrely going into T1 at VIR as it is.

Then there are two medium speed brake zones that are tricky as you are braking/trailing while using a fair amount of steering input. Heading into T3 turn-in and then the T11-12 Oaktree complex.

I do like how the front of the car reacts with Toe Out and will keep the front toed out. With the IS38 power and additional Vmax, I need to think about my rear toe settings for VIR. The margins for error get really tight as the speeds increase. I’m expecting to be north of 140mph going into the brake zones.

Going to a 265/245 front/rear stagger will be new setup territory for me. The rear tires should heat up better/faster than a 265 square setup and I would likely run the same starting tire pressure’s front to rear with a staggered tire setup.

My current 255 square setup starts with the rear 3psi higher then the fronts. I add a half pound to the RHS for VIR and end up with a square hot tire pressures at the end of a session.

My reason for a staggered tire setup is more around fitment. The Goodyear 3R doesn’t come in a 255. I like the idea of a 265 to tame the power up front. And I know that the 245 will fit in the rear. I can then test fit the 265’s in the rear and figure out a longer term solution for more tire room.

As for additional rear rotation, I will likely increase the rear rebound before going to the stiffer setting on my RSB. I’m already at a higher rear spring rate at the rear - 8k/12k.

Andrew when you are swopping wheels, please post some photos of the Clubsport fuel tube. When you fit the A050’s on the 18x9 et42’s, post some fitment photos. Clearance to the coil overs in the front. Lock to lock clearance to the lower front fender liner. Right rear fuel filler clearance. Overall outer fender clearance.
Its still a couple weeks to my Apex wheels arriving and I need to figure out what my tire options are going to be for this season.
I still ran higher tyre pressure in the rear even when staggered. About 2psi more hot. So difficult to get heat into them also to account for difference in contact patch.

I'll get as many photos as I can. Have only done a test fit in the front without a tyre. Fits okay. Finger gap to the strut and doesn't hit anything full lock. Rubber will scrub for sure as I've got 10deg caster on the left. Just got tyres fitted for competition tomorrow.
IMG_7478.jpeg

Reactions: q74

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Appreciate it!

Good Luck!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
How did the event go?

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
How did the event go?
Amazing results, got the class and type win. Next fastest was an M2 Competition. Knocked 1.5s off my PB using the A050 (lap time 1:10.5 so significant improvement). Not really utilising extra grip available in slow corners so that needs practice. Setup needs a bit of work. Way too much rear end grip now. Even after stiffening up the rear 3 clicks. Only have one more click to go. I may need stiffer springs too with the extra grip. Could feel more body roll.
I put the Zestinos back on for the last session and gained 0.5s on those tyres as well. I think running the A050 gives you confidence which meant I pushed the lower grip tyres further. As I know the car has done it. Interesting psychology there.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Awesome!!

Post some video if you can.

Last edited: