GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Currently trying to decide between Ohlins R&T, KW V3, Bilstein B16 (not same price bracket), or MCS setup. I know everyone seems partial to Ohlins so far. Anyone who has/had any of those options able to provide some feedback?
I liked the Bilsteins, right up to the moment when I was informed that Bilstein won’t sell replacement struts. I have a broken strut that can’t be fixed or replaced. Now I have to do a complete replacement of the suspension.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I liked the Bilsteins, right up to the moment when I was informed that Bilstein won’t sell replacement struts. I have a broken strut that can’t be fixed or replaced. Now I have to do a complete replacement of the suspension.

I'd check around to some of the custom suspension builders, like Feal, and see if they can't rebuild them for you.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I'd check around to some of the custom suspension builders, like Feal, and see if they can't rebuild them for you.
Unfortunately, it’s not a rebuild. The sway bar bracket broke. It’s been repaired once. I don’t think it can be repaired again.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
8” x 450lbs Swift Springs
Front springs set 195mm (5mm preload)
Rear adjuster set to 35mm (instructions called for between 30-40mm, so I split the difference at 35mm.)

With the above I essentially remained at stock ride height, while Ohlins call for a 15mm ride height drop. The only reason i can think of is that the stack up height with the Vorshlag plates is higher than stock. As to why I did not get the specified ride height drop.
Im guessing you will stick to stock upper mounts. So should net the claimed 15mm drop in ride height.

In order to go lower you will need 7” springs and a tender spring. Compressed stack height of the tender spring is 25mm/1”. The springs would unseat otherwise. The front for sure. The rear you may get away with just adding the tender spring.

These are good dual purpose coilovers. I’m still working on getting the settings dialed in at the track. Car feels more planted on track. Soften up the rebound and it stiff but still compliant on the street. I drove from Charlotte to Knoxville on my track settings. It transmits road imperfections more on the stiffer rebound setting. I will likely soften it up for the return journey.

You can see the available adjustment range. I’m figuring that more than 25mm will impact usable stroke travel.

0F85B550-EAEF-46B3-829A-82085BE6D525.jpeg
D26B0B8D-9FF5-4B16-9BB3-D949204C5C7D.jpeg
CA794DC3-F386-4D0B-B15C-54C43BA54AA7.jpeg

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Front springs set 195mm (5mm preload)
Rear adjuster set to 35mm (instructions called for between 30-40mm, so I split the difference at 35mm.)

With the above I essentially remained at stock ride height, while Ohlins call for a 15mm ride height drop. The only reason i can think of is that the stack up height with the Vorshlag plates is higher than stock. As to why I did not get the specified ride height drop.
Im guessing you will stick to stock upper mounts. So should net the claimed 15mm drop in ride height.

In order to go lower you will need 7” springs and a tender spring. Compressed stack height of the tender spring is 25mm/1”. The springs would unseat otherwise. The front for sure. The rear you may get away with just adding the tender spring.

These are good dual purpose coilovers. I’m still working on getting the settings dialed in at the track. Car feels more planted on track. Soften up the rebound and it stiff but still compliant on the street. I drove from Charlotte to Knoxville on my track settings. It transmits road imperfections more on the stiffer rebound setting. I will likely soften it up for the return journey.

You can see the available adjustment range. I’m figuring that more than 25mm will impact usable stroke travel.

View attachment 160613View attachment 160614View attachment 160615
I would be using the stock ohlins setup with oem mounts. I would hope to attain the current drop of 25mm that i have now on springs, maybe go a bit lower. I am hoping someone can confirm the drop range before I pull the trigger because 13% off is a pretty solid deal currently.

How are your vorshlag plates doing? they claim they are quiet as a church mouse. I am also looking at MCS but you're REQUIRED to run vorshlag plates as theres no way to make them fit OEM mounts......after my experiences with ground control and wanting to burn their shop to the ground i would rather not try plates again.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I have 3500 miles on the Vorshlag plates. You have the flexibility to add a degree of caster if you don’t have SuperPro LCAs. I cannot speak for ground control. There is added NVH with Vorshlag plates. It’s not bad in my opinion. Marginally more than the 034 plus fixed plates they replaced. It’s been a year since I had the stock top mount so I cannot realistically compare. NVH tolerance is relative and varies person to person.

What is the stock GTi ride height floor to fender?

If you are looking for a 25mm drop the 8”/200mm spring will unseat in droop and make noise. You will need to go to a 7” spring with tender springs.

As stated earlier, I saw no drop in height compared to the 034 fixed camber plates.

MCS will adjust stroke length to required ride height. The guys at Vorshlag can provide advice and feedback. They have fitted a set of MCS coilovers to an Audi TT. They cover it in their forum.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I have 3500 miles on the Vorshlag plates. You have the flexibility to add a degree of caster if you don’t have SuperPro LCAs. I cannot speak for ground control. There is added NVH with Vorshlag plates. It’s not bad in my opinion. Marginally more than the 034 plus fixed plates they replaced. It’s been a year since I had the stock top mount so I cannot realistically compare. NVH tolerance is relative and varies person to person.

What is the stock GTi ride height floor to fender?

If you are looking for a 25mm drop the 8”/200mm spring will unseat in droop and make noise. You will need to go to a 7” spring with tender springs.

As stated earlier, I saw no drop in height compared to the 034 fixed camber plates.

MCS will adjust stroke length to required ride height. The guys at Vorshlag can provide advice and feedback. They have fitted a set of MCS coilovers to an Audi TT. They cover it in their forum.
Idk what stock ride height would be as I have a R not a gti.

There's 1 gti & 1 R with the MCS dual setup that I know of. The R is useless as he never responds to questions so no idea what setup he actually uses. I like MCS but the fact I can't use the stock tops killed that idea for me. I also like the look of the Sachs kit since they product a lot of oem/motorsports stuff and I believe they make the units on FCP euros TCR cars.

I'm tempted to just get some bilstein b8's and call it good. This winter putting my wheels on they rub under bumps due to the 12mm spacer I had to run to clear the brakes...hence my want to go coilovers so I can raise it up a bit for winter.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

I am running 7" springs along with helper springs to keep the springs positioned under negative load. The part numbers are in this post: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...015-limestone-grey-golf-r.366763/post-7332914. Ohlins provided the part numbers to Griffin and they were ordered directly from Swift. We did not install Swift's stacked spring adapter kit which I imagine would reduce or eliminate the noise coming from my springs. The adapters will get installed sometime next year.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Fastest Lap is 21

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
Nice job. Those new M3s run off and hide on the straights, but you kept them close. I’ve run my old ‘95 M3 up there many times. Might have to try the R one time. Looks like the P-cars were playing nice. Sometimes they don’t like to give passes to lowly VWs.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Not super sure how sensitive these cars are but i'll be honest...So much curb riding I was wondering when not if the airbag's were going to deploy.

The school line will take you over the curb on Turn 16 and straight lining the lower snake. In the wet or cold slick conditions the curbs MUST be avoided. The lower snake will spit RWD cars into the tire wall.

I’ve not heard of airbags deploying in all the time I’ve run at VIR.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Nice job. Those new M3s run off and hide on the straights, but you kept them close. I’ve run my old ‘95 M3 up there many times. Might have to try the R one time. Looks like the P-cars were playing nice. Sometimes they don’t like to give passes to lowly VWs.

My buddy is driving the F80 M3. We had a lot of fun running together. That car super quick down the straights, but around the corners I would open up a few car lengths. Down the roller coaster, T 3, the uphill esses and T 10 is where I can open a gap. I had fun chasing him even though he slowed me up on the corners but then I would slow him down on the straights.

The Porches played nice for the most part. We had rain on Saturday so that equalized the power deficit.

You will have fun running your R at VIR.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Called ohlins. Apparently the kit for the mk7R only lowers the car 5mm from stock max before you run out of travel? I believe that's the issue they were correcting with the redesign tho? European cars get 15mm but NA 5mm?? No one is going to drop $3,000 on a coilover setup to stay stock height or maybe 5mm drop.

I don't believe the ohlins tech sales guy so I've reached out to Humberto @ Griffen motorworks since he did cliffs car and he is working to help me out on finding the lowering range of the car since cliffs is .5" or so lower than stock.

I can't find anyone to confirm or deny + I want to know the full lowering range not just what ohlins recommends it be set at.