GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
There is opportunity to learn from data, as well as from a good instructor. There are nuances to FWD techniques that most RWD instructors do not know unless they have driven a FWD car on track. At least the Instructors that I have had prior to going solo.

The two slowest corners at VIR are the two areas I need to work on. I will be seeking out an instructor to ride along for some pointers/driving critique.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
There is opportunity to learn from data, as well as from a good instructor. There are nuances to FWD techniques that most RWD instructors do not know unless they have driven a FWD car on track. At least the Instructors that I have had prior to going solo.

The two slowest corners at VIR are the two areas I need to work on. I will be seeking out an instructor to ride along for some pointers/driving critique.

You're right, each has pros and cons. I've found a few good instructors, and I've also taught a few well seasoned folks about the areas where a fwd should be different (increasing radius corners for example). Data is certainly valuable, but I've also found that sometimes it's not the fastest line through a particular corner that nets the fastest overall lap time. That's harder to quantify with data than it is with a well experienced instructor.

Honestly, slower corners and sweepers were a nightmare in my stock gti because I couldn't build boost while left foot braking. That and dsg kick up/down forced me to get a tune. However, a tune just leads you to many other headaches :/.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
You're right, each has pros and cons. I've found a few good instructors, and I've also taught a few well seasoned folks about the areas where a fwd should be different (increasing radius corners for example). Data is certainly valuable, but I've also found that sometimes it's not the fastest line through a particular corner that nets the fastest overall lap time. That's harder to quantify with data than it is with a well experienced instructor.

Honestly, slower corners and sweepers were a nightmare in my stock gti because I couldn't build boost while left foot braking. That and dsg kick up/down forced me to get a tune. However, a tune just leads you to many other headaches :/.

With regards data, my sector times gives me a quick check on whether I am up or down in a certain sector. Large discrepancies is normally due to traffic. In the evening I will check video to help understand where I screwed up. Peak G’s in the slower steady stated corners gives me an indicator whether I am leaning on the tires hard enough. I check peak g’s through the slow/medium speed corners to ascertain whether i’m getting the most from my car or whether I am being a wuss. For the uphill esses I look at the sustained speed through the transitions. Handspeed, car position and timing are critical to manage the “dance” up the hill at VIR. I have carried plenty of speed up the hill, only to give it up at turn 9 with high-speed understeer and compromising corner speed into T-10 due to being off-line.
So braking is one area I feel I can still improve upon. I’m pulling 1 to 1.2 g’s in the corners. Ive seen braking g’s peak at 1g regularly but only a few instances of 1.1g on the front stretch.

I overbrake when left foot braking. Needs loads more practice and a tune.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Another option to consider is online coaching from an outfit like racers360.com. The ACNA invited Dion von Moltke to last January's event at Thunderhill. A couple of friends took advantage of the video coaching offer and found it to be a good value. To be honest, with more advanced drivers, this sort of coaching is the future. One, it eliminates risk for the coach, and two, data and video provide all the tools the coach needs to offer recommendations.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Another option to consider is online coaching from an outfit like racers360.com. The ACNA invited Dion von Moltke to last January's event at Thunderhill. A couple of friends took advantage of the video coaching offer and found it to be a good value. To be honest, with more advanced drivers, this sort of coaching is the future. One, it eliminates risk for the coach, and two, data and video provide all the tools the coach needs to offer recommendations.

ACNA runs a great event at VIR for advanced solo drivers. Randy Pobst, Mike Skeen, Peter Krause. Mike and Randy will run in the car. Peter Krause will only use video and data for coaching and he has been successful with that. Heck, I don’t blame him. I’m a nervous right seat passenger until I know how you drive. Not sure that I will make it to the instructor group for that reason alone. Plus I have a lot more learning to do, regarding the finer details of driving. Then there is the skill of conveying that knowledge in a helpful/constructive way and most of all safe way to a student. I really like ACNA events. There is a greater variety of cars. Folks are friendly and helpful.

Doing a track walk around VIR with Peter Krause is really informative. He knows his stuff. Given the opportunity, I would walk any track, especially one that I would be driving the first time. He covers risk/reward/exit strategy for each corner.

I have watched many of the Racer360 videos and for VIR they are spot on. I would agree that video/data coaching is good for advanced drivers. I would still like the professional coach to drive my car and show me around the track. More so to test car capability. Get some setup advice. Dion provides so really good tips/advice for VIR. One of the take aways for me was that I need to roll more corner speed and not accelerate before corner apex. It makes sense and I understand why. Just need to put on my big boy pants and not over-slow at turn-in. I’m looking for increased front grip from additional camber and better tire control from the Ohlins. Will try this technique for Turns 1 & 3 in November.

Laguna Seca is on my track list. Heck, I just checked. That’s a 40hr road trip. I want to experience the elevation change of running the “corkscrew”. It looks like a fun track to run.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
All the guys I run with are nearly twice my age or more and have the money to run way more than me. They all go south for the winter and keep their cars down for Sebring and such. Would like to get to VIR and Daytona road course within the next couple years. Might even do road Atlanta with MVP next year

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
I’m looking for increased front grip from additional camber and better tire control from the Ohlins. Will try this technique for Turns 1 & 3 in November.

I find that running to the inside of T1 at exit is what i usually need to do in order to pass more powerful RWD cars there - go too wide, it goes off camber and full of marbles and push. T3 i use the usual turn-in reference (the light pole) and wait, wait, wait until i'm about to run over the curb to turn in, then use every millimeter of the concrete past the curbing between 3 & 4a. Then wait, wait, wait, and wait some more before 4a such that i'm full track left and parallel to the curb to set up an arc of constant radius between 4a & 4b. Of course it's very difficult to wait long enough sometimes ;)

Laguna Seca is on my track list. Heck, I just checked. That’s a 40hr road trip. I want to experience the elevation change of running the “corkscrew”. It looks like a fun track to run.

I've been wanting to run there since seeing "the pass" (yeah, i'm old).

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I find that running to the inside of T1 at exit is what i usually need to do in order to pass more powerful RWD cars there - go too wide, it goes off camber and full of marbles and push. T3 i use the usual turn-in reference (the light pole) and wait, wait, wait until i'm about to run over the curb to turn in, then use every millimeter of the concrete past the curbing between 3 & 4a. Then wait, wait, wait, and wait some more before 4a such that i'm full track left and parallel to the curb to set up an arc of constant radius between 4a & 4b.

In order to hold the car tight on exit would mean a deep and late turn in to T-1. There is very little margin for error when using that line. You have to hit your brake marks.

I need to give that line a go.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
In order to hold the car tight on exit would mean a deep and late turn in to T-1. There is very little margin for error when using that line. You have to hit your brake marks.

I need to give that line a go.

That is one of the "off-lines" that driven in the Mk6 would set off ESP and bog the car. My instructor would laugh hysterically each time this happened, with "I'm going to save you! I'm going to save you!"

I was reluctant -no, paranoid - to turn it off at the time, having no experience and imagining the ESP was "saving my bacon" - but finally my instructor asked, "do you know how to disable that?" and we built up lap speeds gradually until we were both laughing hysterically in the spots where the ESP was no longer coming on and we were taking point-bys. :D

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Some entertainment from Australia.

https://youtu.be/N81cEqZEDVQ

Jordan Cox in the Civic is a bit of a legend here. A lot of guys get their cars setup at he and his dads workshop Cox Automotive. He now has a TCR drive and got his first podium last weekend. Great driver.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Jordan Cox in the Civic is a bit of a legend here. A lot of guys get their cars setup at he and his dads workshop Cox Automotive. He now has a TCR drive and got his first podium last weekend. Great driver.

Yup! This guy can drive. I would like to see him co-drive a V8 Supercar in the Bathurst 1000.

There is footage of him at the Adelaide street circuit going up against a more powerful AE86. Close racing. Great race to watch.

Great illustration of a lightweight momentum car driven flat out.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Öhlins Road & Track- FWD GTi

Ok so my Swift springs came in. Woohoo.

I’m decided to go with a 8k/450lb square setup with my Öhlins road and track coilovers. Same spring rate as my R53 Cooper S on AST 5100’s. 50lbs more than the standard Öhlins FWD setup. Ideally FWD setup will need 150/200lbs more rear spring rate for the track to help with traction out of corners by maintaining weight transfer to the front tires under acceleration. Pretty much the spring rate that Cliff is running on his R.

Here are pictures of the Öhlins assembled with my Vorshlag camber plates. I’m told that the Vorshlag plates have the same stack height as the stock OEM setup.
Spring perches are set at the suggested 5mm preload. This allows for 1” adjustment up or 1” adjustment lower. On this pictured setting it is meant to net a 15mm drop in ride height. I may go 5mm higher depending on where things stack up once I get these installed.

My track wheels and tires are Neuspeed RSE16’s with 255-40-17’s which I believe are 1” smaller in diameter than my street set up of 255-35-18 MPS4S. I will edit this if I am way off.

This will allow me to dial in -2.5/3 degrees up front with -1.8/2 degrees in the rear. Provide more front end grip and eliminate/reduce tire shoulder wear. I’m wanting to change my driving style and roll more speed through corners before going to gas. So looking for some additional mechanical grip.

I will be pairing this with some SuperPro Bushings on the rear lower control arm and trailing arm.

Attachments

• DE47EC17-4E9F-42AF-A888-D78D8C7B9197.jpeg
    DE47EC17-4E9F-42AF-A888-D78D8C7B9197.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 323200B8-966D-4135-A928-2BE5BFE463A3.jpeg
    323200B8-966D-4135-A928-2BE5BFE463A3.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 204
  • C765FD98-998C-494E-BEC2-544835A53F5D.jpeg
    C765FD98-998C-494E-BEC2-544835A53F5D.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 200
  • A5B98F4C-3507-49D6-94C1-7FF1D8CA904E.jpeg
    A5B98F4C-3507-49D6-94C1-7FF1D8CA904E.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 194

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
This will allow me to dial in -2.5/3 degrees up front with -1.8/2 degrees in the rear.

The diameter of the springs aren't gong to let you get that much camber up front. I'd expect you'll be about where I am - 2.2 currently, and probably back to 2.4 once we lower the car a bit more after the Eurocode RSB endlinks arrive (preload issue with the rear sway has me at stock ride height right now).