GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Iracing is honestly something else entirely. I log a solid 120 hrs per winter in it. It seems, just like me, you like to learn from your own observations and experiences, and in that aspect I was hesitant about sims until I tried them. It's an investment for sure, but if you have 1000$ to spend on cameras, AiM, and other stuff, I'd throw that money into a halfway decent gaming computer and a decent thrustmaster wheel/pedal. Beyond learning the line, you learn the feedback, timing, reaction rate, brake points, acceleration points, gear selection, and even auditory queues. If nothing else, it keeps those senses sharp during the off season. You also get tons of feedback out of a decent wheel, and can feel irregularities in the track. I have spent numerous hours on the lime rock park course trying to sort out how to best enter the hairpin. That corner is tricky enough to count for an entire second. Having the ability to do it again and again and again back to back is absolutely invaluable.
Fully agree. I'll do 6 hours of lapping before a track day and I find I'm up to speed and comfortable within a couple laps.

I've been using the TDI Cup car, I used to use the NC Miata when that's what I tracked. Gearing is too short in the TDI, but other than that, it's a great warm up and the physics are close enough to be relevant.

Any when you're really on track, those extra senses just add to your ability to push the car.

If you run actual races, it helps get you used to running on track with other people and teaches how to pass and how to get passed without causing a pileup.

I spent about $2k on setup and I wouldn't dream of doing a track like Road Atlanta without logging many hours before hitting the track. I think it was a great investment.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Nope. Just run HPDE. No competitive events.

I have a few friends who instruct with NASA. NASA runs HPDE with 4 levels from 1 to 4. 1 is novice while 4 is usually a mixture of advanced drivers and time trialing with, presumably, open passing. Out here, car counts at NASA events are rather high, and since their events include race run groups, race mishaps impact the schedule and limit HPDE session time. I have not personally done any events with them.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I have a few friends who instruct with NASA. NASA runs HPDE with 4 levels from 1 to 4. 1 is novice while 4 is usually a mixture of advanced drivers and time trialing with, presumably, open passing. Out here, car counts at NASA events are rather high, and since their events include race run groups, race mishaps impact the schedule and limit HPDE session time. I have not personally done any events with them.
Run groups are at every hpde event so now sure how that impacts anything.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
RACE run groups. They crash or have mechanical issues more than HPDE run groups. You should really resist the urge to post when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, which is most of the time.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
RACE run groups. They crash or have mechanical issues more than HPDE run groups. You should really resist the urge to post when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, which is most of the time.
Do you even internet?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

That's super different than my region. My region does de 1,2 in one group with de 2 lining up first, and de 3,4 with de 4 lining up first. We get a solid amount of people and in de 3,4 people are mature enough to handle themselves with mostly open passing. They usually start the day slow and open up as everyone sheds the rust off from between events. Next up TT 4,5,6 run together fastest cars first, and then TT 1,2,3,U with fastest cars first. In order to go from de 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, or 4 to TT, you need a sign off from an instructor and you have to meet semi-strict criteria.

You're definitely on point that race run groups have more accidents, but they're pretty few and far in between for our TT folks from my experience. Usually mechanical issues or a fluid leak more than anything.

From my experience our NASA region is extremely well put together and everyone is great, education is fantastic, and overall advice/open convo is great. In comparison our scca is a giant mess. Last time out with scca we had a few PCA regulars who ignored the variance in rules and just put cars in danger. I know it's very region dependent. Is your region different?

I really want to get out to some mvp events, but timing just hasn't lined up recently. I've heard really good things about mvp. PCA and BMWCCA seem to be pretty decent as well, but I haven't been out to those events either.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
That's super different than my region. My region does de 1,2 in one group with de 2 lining up first, and de 3,4 with de 4 lining up first. We get a solid amount of people and in de 3,4 people are mature enough to handle themselves with mostly open passing. They usually start the day slow and open up as everyone sheds the rust off from between events. Next up TT 4,5,6 run together fastest cars first, and then TT 1,2,3,U with fastest cars first. In order to go from de 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, or 4 to TT, you need a sign off from an instructor and you have to meet semi-strict criteria.

You're definitely on point that race run groups have more accidents, but they're pretty few and far in between for our TT folks from my experience. Usually mechanical issues or a fluid leak more than anything.

From my experience our NASA region is extremely well put together and everyone is great, education is fantastic, and overall advice/open convo is great. In comparison our scca is a giant mess. Last time out with scca we had a few PCA regulars who ignored the variance in rules and just put cars in danger. I know it's very region dependent. Is your region different?

I really want to get out to some mvp events, but timing just hasn't lined up recently. I've heard really good things about mvp. PCA and BMWCCA seem to be pretty decent as well, but I haven't been out to those events either.
I assume by MVP you mean MVP track time. Events are well run and Mark does a great job. He can be a massive ass hole if you run him wrong or miss the drivers meeting.

Ive done 4 or 5 weekends with them so far over the last 2 years.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

Oh, I have no idea how the events are specifically structured here in Norcal, I just wanted to point out in my post that NASA provides HPDE and not just racing. As far as I know the local region is well organized and from everything I have read, that is a trait that applies to NASA nationally - they run a solid program. As I noted, I don't have personal experience with them but I have chatted with a number of their instructors, some of whom instruct with the BMWCCA and others with the Audi Club. The observations on car counts and delays affecting HPDE groups that are caused by racing incidents come from them.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I assume by MVP you mean MVP track time. Events are well run and Mark does a great job. He can be a massive ass hole if you run him wrong or miss the drivers meeting.

Ive done 4 or 5 weekends with them so far over the last 2 years.

Yeah, Mark's events. I really like the tracks he goes to, but I do wish they were more consolidated or that he'd open up to wider management to have more regional structure. I've heard good things, but I'd love to see for myself.

Oh, I have no idea how the events are specifically structured here in Norcal, I just wanted to point out in my post that NASA provides HPDE and not just racing. As far as I know the local region is well organized and from everything I have read, that is a trait that applies to NASA nationally - they run a solid program. As I noted, I don't have personal experience with them but I have chatted with a number of their instructors, some of whom instruct with the BMWCCA and others with the Audi Club. The observations on car counts and delays affecting HPDE groups that are caused by racing incidents come from them.

Gotcha! My experience so far has been no more than a 5 minute delay. NASA isn't the cheapest at typically 420 to 500 for a weekend entry fee, but I do think it's worth it to progress through their ranks. I've moved up quickly due to previous experience and years upon years of sims, but just the few instructor ride along I've had have been absolutely more valuable than any amount of data I've gotten from logging systems.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, Mark's events. I really like the tracks he goes to, but I do wish they were more consolidated or that he'd open up to wider management to have more regional structure. I've heard good things, but I'd love to see for myself.

Gotcha! My experience so far has been no more than a 5 minute delay. NASA isn't the cheapest at typically 420 to 500 for a weekend entry fee, but I do think it's worth it to progress through their ranks. I've moved up quickly due to previous experience and years upon years of sims, but just the few instructor ride along I've had have been absolutely more valuable than any amount of data I've gotten from logging systems.
Mark has NASA/scca instructors and the group he has are very very good.

Aren't most weekends $400+? Only ones cheaper are small non prime tracks. Road America is around $450-$475 for a weekend no matter the organization.

And exactly those logging systems are no more than snake oil unless you're a race team and those kinds of trackers/transponders are banned at pretty much every track unless it's a dedicated race event.