GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Interesting.
I get the light on the front and rear straight brake zone. On the back straight at VIR, you have to bend the car through T13 into the entry for T14.
The only other times are when I’m in traction limited situations. Exit of T1 into T2 under power. Exit of T15 under power. Under power, I get power understeer.
Under braking the car is moving around quite a bit so it’s hard to tell whether Im getting any intervention. On the street, I can hear the ABS pump activate and feel the intervention. With my helmet on, I don’t hear anything and I’m too busy making steering corrections based on the rear instability.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
FYI I was getting that same light this weekend going into at least T11 (I just happened to look down and see it, I'm normally not watching the dash into a braking zone). Didn't seem to be actively doing anything stupid, probably freaking out because ABS was going nuts. I THINK that same session was when I went through the dash menu afterwards and it said there was a TPMS error. So I did a TPMS reset while the tire pressures were hot. I don't REMEMBER it happening again... but perhaps it's just freaking out and letting you know the stability control won't save your ass because it thinks tire pressures are messed up?

Otherwise a great weekend, hit a new PB of 2:20.93 with just the 034 camber plates and more aggressive front pads. Needs more rear pad to match/keep the balance reasonable as the front tires get greasier... but man those 3.12s just didn't give up at all. I like them a lot. I think I'll like them more with some DS3000s out back.

1653966478134.png

You can see how the DS2500s drop off like crazy the more heat they get, while the 3.12s just keep getting better. They squeal a tiny bit now after they've gotten hot, but it's mostly just a peep once or twice when cold. Nowhere near as obnoxious as my G Loc pads were. I'm not sure how much a difference is car vs car as opposed to pad vs pad... but I will say the G Loc pads had amazing release characteristics. The Ferodos are definitely not bad, but the G Locs were just super easily modulated in the letting-off-pressure direction. I don't miss the corrosive dust, or burning through half the pads in a single weekend.

Best lap is #4 in this video. You can see traffic was pretty silly.

And I also played around with data some for temperature purposes:

Stock intercooler needs to go. More details on everything above in the link in my sig.

@Mini7 let me know if you do end up running the FSR event, I am definitely not driving since I'm just coming back from a cruise that Friday... but I just might drive out to hang out with some friends if a last minute room rental is available and I'm not too terribly hung over from a week long of unlimited drinks :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Slow Ferrari……. Looks like the Mustang might have held you up a bit as well. I was there in my GT4 in the blue group. Good weekend other than the storm Friday morning.

Yeah I think the GT350 held me up a tad in T4-6 and Oak Tree. I was literally behind him in every technical section for 22 minutes 🙄

I don't look at the timer while driving, but if I'd known I could have gotten a fast lap in I'd have probably held back a bit on lap 3 to get some distance, but oh well. It definitely has a 2:19.xx in it as is, it just takes me not blowing any individual section of track, no traffic, decent weather conditions, and can't be too many laps in because the tires go away :unsure:

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
What tires were you running? I’m trying some Falken RT660 and so far I’m impressed. I set my fast time on lap 7 of a session, but laps 11 and 12 were within 0.1 seconds. They still seem to have good grip even after 200 miles at CMP, 200 miles at Roebling, and 300 miles at VIR. Not Hoosier pace, but I’d say they are easily a match for NT01s. I was hoping for a 2:06, but was 2 seconds off…

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
What tires were you running? I’m trying some Falken RT660 and so far I’m impressed. I set my fast time on lap 7 of a session, but laps 11 and 12 were within 0.1 seconds. They still seem to have good grip even after 200 miles at CMP, 200 miles at Roebling, and 300 miles at VIR. Not Hoosier pace, but I’d say they are easily a match for NT01s. I was hoping for a 2:06, but was 2 seconds off…
245/40 RT660s on 17x9 wheels.

I suspect stock suspension has something to do with them not being happy. I DO have 034 camber mounts but is otherwise bone stock. Needs more camber so CSS knuckles may be in the future. Trying not to get too silly with the suspension on this car like I've done in the past.

These are my front tires after 4 days at VIR... first two they were on the rear, then were rotated to the front for this event.

Attachments

• 323FF4A7-5995-4233-9F0B-D70723FF4C3D.jpeg
    323FF4A7-5995-4233-9F0B-D70723FF4C3D.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 51
  • 8F3F3A6C-FC5F-47B9-984F-4FBC507C6F23.jpeg
    8F3F3A6C-FC5F-47B9-984F-4FBC507C6F23.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
  • E1D9DB76-3F19-40F3-B00E-A37233515EEE.jpeg
    E1D9DB76-3F19-40F3-B00E-A37233515EEE.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 50
  • 132B7124-6B7E-4E25-B916-8DD1CF759F03.jpeg
    132B7124-6B7E-4E25-B916-8DD1CF759F03.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 46
  • BA1DD950-467E-4A70-A6D1-C03290149979.jpeg
    BA1DD950-467E-4A70-A6D1-C03290149979.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 7F8E520B-B9F8-4AB4-9516-F0A4F72E0883.jpeg
    7F8E520B-B9F8-4AB4-9516-F0A4F72E0883.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 52

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
FYI I was getting that same light this weekend going into at least T11 (I just happened to look down and see it, I'm normally not watching the dash into a braking zone). Didn't seem to be actively doing anything stupid, probably freaking out because ABS was going nuts. I THINK that same session was when I went through the dash menu afterwards and it said there was a TPMS error. So I did a TPMS reset while the tire pressures were hot. I don't REMEMBER it happening again... but perhaps it's just freaking out and letting you know the stability control won't save your ass because it thinks tire pressures are messed up?

Otherwise a great weekend, hit a new PB of 2:20.93 with just the 034 camber plates and more aggressive front pads. Needs more rear pad to match/keep the balance reasonable as the front tires get greasier... but man those 3.12s just didn't give up at all. I like them a lot. I think I'll like them more with some DS3000s out back.

View attachment 250877

You can see how the DS2500s drop off like crazy the more heat they get, while the 3.12s just keep getting better. They squeal a tiny bit now after they've gotten hot, but it's mostly just a peep once or twice when cold. Nowhere near as obnoxious as my G Loc pads were. I'm not sure how much a difference is car vs car as opposed to pad vs pad... but I will say the G Loc pads had amazing release characteristics. The Ferodos are definitely not bad, but the G Locs were just super easily modulated in the letting-off-pressure direction. I don't miss the corrosive dust, or burning through half the pads in a single weekend.

Best lap is #4 in this video. You can see traffic was pretty silly.

And I also played around with data some for temperature purposes:

Stock intercooler needs to go. More details on everything above in the link in my sig.

@Mini7 let me know if you do end up running the FSR event, I am definitely not driving since I'm just coming back from a cruise that Friday... but I just might drive out to hang out with some friends if a last minute room rental is available and I'm not too terribly hung over from a week long of unlimited drinks :ROFLMAO:
Looking at the Mu charts, the DSUNO compound mimics the curve of the DS3.12 but at a lower friction coefficient. One would think that would provide a good balance front to rear. The DS3000 ramps up significantly with temperature. Are the DSUNO’s available in our rear pad shape? I’d think the flatter brake torque curve would be more predicable to manage throughout a session. Starting out it will have a stronger rearward bias than the DS3000’s, delaying the heat soak into the front brakes/tires.

Waiting to hear if FSR is still short on Instructors. Still got to check out my rear calipers and refresh my rear brakes/rotors. Hence my interest in going to a more aggressive rear pad. Really hoping to find an issue with the rear caliper to explain some of the handling issues I have been having.

You were stuck in a lot of traffic. Its hard to build rhythm and speed.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Looking at the Mu charts, the DSUNO compound mimics the curve of the DS3.12 but at a lower friction coefficient. One would think that would provide a good balance front to rear. The DS3000 ramps up significantly with temperature. Are the DSUNO’s available in our rear pad shape? I’d think the flatter brake torque curve would be more predicable to manage throughout a session. Starting out it will have a stronger rearward bias than the DS3000’s, delaying the heat soak into the front brakes/tires.

Waiting to hear if FSR is still short on Instructors. Still got to check out my rear calipers and refresh my rear brakes/rotors. Hence my interest in going to a more aggressive rear pad. Really hoping to find an issue with the rear caliper to explain some of the handling issues I have been having.

You were stuck in a lot of traffic. Its hard to build rhythm and speed.
Unfortunately the only options for PP brakes are DS2500s F/R, DS3.12s front, or DS3000 rears. Kind of disappointed they don't offer all compounds in all pad shapes.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That sucks.
What is the Ferodo rear pad shape P/N# ?

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
Those tires look great to me for 4 days, especially on the front! I've got a set of Hoosiers on my M3 that I hope will make it through day #2 tomorrow at Roebling....

I've got some G-loc R12/R10 pads for the PP brakes if anyone is interested. Sold my R, so no longer needed.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
That sucks.
What is the Ferodo rear pad shape P/N# ?

So the R rear calipers have DS1.11 available, BUT they have the electric e-brake and a completely different shape.

The pad shape for GTI PP rear pads is:

Pad shape for R rear pads is:

I wonder if enough of us were to request 1.11s or DSUNO for the GTI rears if they'd make them?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Those tires look great to me for 4 days, especially on the front! I've got a set of Hoosiers on my M3 that I hope will make it through day #2 tomorrow at Roebling....

I've got some G-loc R12/R10 pads for the PP brakes if anyone is interested. Sold my R, so no longer needed.
I texted a track buddy in a GTi. He may be interested in the R12’s. Maybe there is a local R here in NC/SC where both sets would work out.

What pads do you run on your E46?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So the R rear calipers have DS1.11 available, BUT they have the electric e-brake and a completely different shape.

The pad shape for GTI PP rear pads is:

Pad shape for R rear pads is:

I wonder if enough of us were to request 1.11s or DSUNO for the GTI rears if they'd make them?
I saw the Email you looped me in to.
The 1.11s have a declining Mu with temp. The key piece of info we need is rear rotor temps. I have temp paint, I can add to my Zimmerman blanks. I’ll add temp strips to the caliper for a directional indicator.

The DS3000’s will work if the rotors are getting to 752F. I think my fronts are only getting to 850F on my BBK. I’m guessing that PP 340x30 fronts are getting closer to 1000F. My RHS caliper temp strip hit 410F. LHS hit 370-380F if I remember correctly. That was when I ran Pagid RSL29’s. Have no idea whether the rears are getting to 750F.

The DSUNO’s will provide more brake torque at a lower rotor temp. That Mu curve runs parallel to the 3.12’s which should make it more predictable to control. I also want to move some brake balance to the rear because I believe that will help compress brake zones. However, I do not want to do it at the expense of making trail-braking uncontrollable. As you know managing weight transfer is important.

Brake pad selection is very much up to user preference. Controllability and the ability to finesse the middle pedal is super important.

EssexParts is in my backyard. I can reach out and see whether making a batch of DSUNO’s is on the cards. The owner has an R and I have had them make me front and rear Spiegler brake lines. Which BTW are really nice. All SS fittings and great quality.