GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Here is the second session on Sunday. Still had a lot of traffic to contend with. But a lot faster and consistent laps overall. There is a 2:10.9 in there towards the end.

This is great stuff. Really nice going. Congrats. We met in your garage during the Audi event.

I'm humbled by you fast guys. The Audi event was my first time ever driving at VIR. Before the event I set beating 2:20 as my target for the weekend (yes, as in 10 seconds slower than you studs). I was happy with the 2:17's I was running the 2nd day. I'm targeting beating 2:15 for my next time out there next season. Not sure where my car will reach in the end.

I will be watching your videos 100 times (not a big exageration) before next year's event. Great learning tool.

Couple of quick questions. You are running 245's with 2+ negative camber correct? I would like to go larger than my 225's but need bigger wheels. Did you need to do anything to the suspension to avoid scrubing?

Also, do you run with traction fully off or single short push off?

Again, really nice driving.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
This is great stuff. Really nice going. Congrats. We met in your garage during the Audi event.

I'm humbled by you fast guys. The Audi event was my first time ever driving at VIR. Before the event I set beating 2:20 as my target for the weekend (yes, as in 10 seconds slower than you studs). I was happy with the 2:17's I was running the 2nd day. I'm targeting beating 2:15 for my next time out there next season. Not sure where my car will reach in the end.

I will be watching your videos 100 times (not a big exageration) before next year's event. Great learning tool.

Couple of quick questions. You are running 245's with 2+ negative camber correct? I would like to go larger than my 225's but need bigger wheels. Did you need to do anything to the suspension to avoid scrubing?

Also, do you run with traction fully off or single short push off?

Again, really nice driving.
Thank you! It was good meeting you.
I was running R888R‘s 255-35-18’s on Apex SM-10’s 18x9 et 42. -2.8 up front. You will have no issues with your R.

ESC all the way off. Long push and hold.

What was your Vmax down the back straight?
Getting into the teens is a respectable time in our cars. The fact that it was your first time at VIR is a credit to your driving.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Thank you! It was good meeting you.
I was running R888R‘s 255-35-18’s on Apex SM-10’s 18x9 et 42. -2.8 up front. You will have no issues with your R.

ESC all the way off. Long push and hold.

What was your Vmax down the back straight?
Getting into the teens is a respectable time in our cars. The fact that it was your first time at VIR is a credit to your driving.
Thanks. Lots of room for improvement, but that's part of the fun.
My back straight VMAX was 132- 133's with a very few 134's.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm the dude that has the white Golf Sportwagen and we chatted a few times over the weekend at VIR. Question - what camber mounts are you running on your R?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Ok. I was curious. I’m guessing you are a little conservative braking down the hill into T13. You will pick up a few mph with more experience at VIR.
After going to the IS38, I realize how much advantage the R has over the FWD GTi in terms of acceleration traction. Corner speed would be similar but the R has a huge advantage in being able to accelerate sooner and harder through corner apex and exit.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok. I was curious. I’m guessing you are a little conservative braking down the hill into T13. You will pick up a few mph with more experience at VIR.
After going to the IS38, I realize how much advantage the R has over the FWD GTi in terms of acceleration traction. Corner speed would be similar but the R has a huge advantage in being able to accelerate sooner and harder through corner apex and exit.
I hit 131 on that straight in my wagon - if I can come into T13 less conservatively I think I could get a little more max speed on that straight. The awd does really help out with powering out of the apex/exit - my instructor even noted it in my eval. I have the United Haldex tune and I really think it helps out in that case to put max power rearward.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I love your car, as did everyone in the group I was with.
I have Ground Control camber plates.
Thanks! It's fun for what it is. Can you tell me more about those GC plates? Do they require any modificaitons to the strut tower tops? I see them on their site and it looks adjustable without doing that. How is NVH on the street?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! It's fun for what it is. Can you tell me more about those GC plates? Do they require any modificaitons to the strut tower tops? I see them on their site and it looks adjustable without doing that. How is NVH on the street?
I had my shop do the install. No mods to strut towers.
I street drive my car about 14k per year. NVH is totally acceptable to me. Not really much difference to stock.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
This stuff is good to read to keep adding more to the GTI. Need some camber.

Anyone have issues with fuel starvation on the front straight at VIR when on low fuel?

Had a track day with SCDA (12th day at VIR this year so this is a new issue) and when I'm around 1/4 to 3/8 or less of a tank, only the main straight I get fuel starve cuts at WOT and then twice got an EPC light into limp mode. Codes for low fuel rail pressure and fuel regulator circuit issues.

If I have a more full tank or take it easy on the straight, no issue. Wondering if it's really starving or just need to replace the HPFP at 120k miles. My personal best today was 2:16 and would be lower without this issue.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I also had fuel cuts at the kink on the front straight when I had a quarter tank or less of gas.

Didn’t get an EPC light but am pretty sure it’s fuel starvation.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I also had fuel cuts at the kink on the front straight when I had a quarter tank or less of gas.

Didn’t get an EPC light but am pretty sure it’s fuel starvation.
OK interesting, have you thought of a surge tank or do you just keep your fuel topped off between runs?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I fill up after 2-sessions to avoid the issue.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I fill up after 2-sessions to avoid the issue.
OK cool thanks, good to know it's not a hardware problem and others hit it.

Last question, what kind of brake fluid are you using now? Ive got ATE200 and think that may be causing some fade late in sessions. Or since I've got the Macan Brembos, could just be getting too hot even with RS3 deflectors.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
OK cool thanks, good to know it's not a hardware problem and others hit it.

Last question, what kind of brake fluid are you using now? Ive got ATE200 and think that may be causing some fade late in sessions. Or since I've got the Macan Brembos, could just be getting too hot even with RS3 deflectors.

I'd try better fluid first. Do you still have the dust shields? One of the downsides to the Brembo setup is that most of us are using blanks, not 2 piece rotors like most track brake kits. Blanks are stupid cheap and keep consumable costs down, but they aren't going to work as well as a 2 piece rotor. It makes no sense to run 2 piece rotors with the Macan setup, as you end up close to the cost of a real BBK.