GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I also have a front O2 sensor going bad. May explain the fuel dilution And the other engine issues.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
It was good to be back at VIR with Potomac Audi. Got to see some old track buddies and got to meet some of the folks on the forum. There were quite a few GTi/R’s at the track which was awesome to see.

I had a mixed weekend. The boost flutter appears to be gone with the new APR plate. It doesn’t make sense as it is essentially a vacuum leak, but I saw 40psi on the gauge in 4thdown the back straight and was seeing 138-140mph.

Struggled for grip under braking. Had trouble trail braking to the apex. Had trouble getting the power down over 4500rpm. T1 to T2, exit of T3, exit of T10, T15 apex & exit, Hogpen onto the front straight. Running R888R’s was new for me , but I was expecting similar performance to the NT01’s. I was definitely off my game driving wise.
The best I could do was a second off my PB.

I logged one session on my OBD11. Ambient temp 54F, so the air was much cooler than my previous trip to VIR. Oil maxed out at 262F and coolant at 214F. IAT delta to ambient varied between 9F to 27F above ambient as the session progressed. This is also very dependent on % throttle application. Max boost 29.3psi (corrected) had an AFR of 12.9
I’ve heard mixed reviews from the R888R, but I will say the track felt cold and was not at its best grip-wise. I recently stepped up to 255/40r17 NT01s, and they felt slightly better than the 225/45r17 NT01s I ran at VIR back in August. I ran a best of 2:12, but was truthfully hoping for 2:10-2:11s. I attribute some of that to the track conditions.

C5AC69E4-2714-412E-95C4-83F8A2A9E989.jpeg

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I really struggled with the R888R’s. I was in the RH seat with my buddy in his F80 M3 and he seemed to have plenty of grip out of his R888Rs. He could brake late. I was expecting more grip. FWD cars ask a lot from any tire.
In hindsight I was more than likely overdriving and slow to adapt. I was expecting more out of the car. The best I could do was a 2:14. I’m losing time in sector 2 and the sector 5 down through roller coaster. Areas I've done well in the past. So pretty disappointed in my efforts.
It takes a lot of commitment to extract 2:12 at VIR especially out of our cars. You have my respect. Great job.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks very much.
Couldn't get to the track last weekend, but am going to the charity laps event there tomorrow.
They worked well and are the resueable ones. They came off easily and went right back on the backing paper.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
nice, thought about the magnetic version but I heard they may fly off.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Just got my oil sample results back. I have fuel dilution again at 6.8%.
I had a codes P013100 O2 Sensor Bank1 Sensor 1 and P010600 Map pressure range/performance. Car was running like crapola on Monday, wouldn’t idle and kept stalling out. Heavy smell of fuel. I replaced the front O2 sensor and the car is now running fine. I need to change the oil.
It would appear that I had a failing O2 sensor at 92k, causing the car to run rich resulting in fuel dilution. Thinking whether I should just replace the second O2 sensor as preventative maintenance based on mileage?

From the little research I’ve done, the MAP sensor code could potentially be down to the IS38 high torque tune pushing 29psi of boost. I think that was the highest I saw on my datalog. 28-29psi is at the upper limit of the stock MAP sensors range From the little research I’ve done.
Does the Golf R run the same or different MAP sensor to the GTi?
The other cause for the code could be a vacuum leak?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
nice, thought about the magnetic version but I heard they may fly off.
I have the magnetic version. They saw 138-140mph at VIR and did not move.

Last edited:

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
they did move? or is that a typo- did not move? If they moved re-useable vinyl it is!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just got my oil sample results back. I have fuel dilution again at 6.8%.
I had a codes P013100 O2 Sensor Bank1 Sensor 1 and P010600 Map pressure range/performance. Car was running like crapola on Monday, wouldn’t idle and kept stalling out. Heavy smell of fuel. I replaced the front O2 sensor and the car is now running fine. I need to change the oil.
It would appear that I had a failing O2 sensor at 92k, causing the car to run rich resulting in fuel dilution. Thinking whether I should just replace the second O2 sensor as preventative maintenance based on mileage?

From the little research I’ve done, the MAP sensor code could potentially be down to the IS38 high torque tune pushing 29psi of boost. I think that was the highest I saw on my datalog. 28-29psi is at the upper limit of the stock MAP sensors range From the little research I’ve done.
Does the Golf R run the same or different MAP sensor to the GTi?
The other cause for the code could be a vacuum leak?
Could be blow by getting past the piston rings. Or something wrong with the PCV system.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
they did move? or is that a typo- did not move? If they moved re-useable vinyl it is!
Did not. My bad. My iPad has a mind of its own. They stayed in place and didn’t move.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Could be blow by getting past the piston rings. Or something wrong with the PCV system.
I no longer have a PCV. Got APRs top plate and CC.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
thanks, magnetic may be the way to go then.