GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTI DSG suddenly sluggish?

username205

Ready to race!
Two days ago, about halfway through my 20-min drive home, my DSG suddenly went from being nice and crisp to super sluggish. I pulled into my garage and scanned the codes - nothing major. I started the car and went for another short drive and the shifting behavior was back to normal, so I chalked it up as some sort of glitch.

The issue returned yesterday after leaving work, and my transmission once again began taking a full second (no exaggeration) to shift between gears. What could be causing this? I'm not flashed and I removed the JB4 after the first occurrence just to see if that could be a factor. Looks like it wasn't.

I think it's worth mentioning that I'm approaching 38k miles on the original DSG fluid (kit is in the mail). Is the DSG recognizing that the fluid is getting old and protecting itself by going into granny mode?

Thanks

username205

Ready to race!
Welp, the same thing happened again today. I left it in D the whole time and observed the sluggish upshifting shortly into my commute home. It was perfectly fine on the way to work, just like the two previous days. Downshifting is definitely faster the upshift, but still nowhere near as sharp as it should be. I guess I'll have to run the adaptation tomorrow morning and see if that helps.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Did you clear all codes after you checked them? Did any new ones come up? One thing that can mess up DSG shifting is a bad ABS sensor on either front wheel.

Any signs of a fluid leak under the car?

Recheck all of the engine connections associated with the JB4. They should snap together smoothly without forcing anything.

username205

Ready to race!
After clearing the codes yesterday, a P010600 code (screenshot attached) returned while starting the car this morning. I decided that it'd be best to rule out the JB4 before doing the DSG reset, so I completely removed it and reconnected the factory connectors.

I cleared the code, reconnected the battery, and drove to work without a hitch. After being sluggish during my evening commute home for 3 consecutive days, it was absolutely perfect today.

I performed the corrective actions one at a time to help isolate the cause, and the only change this time was the JB4 removal. Could the JB4 have been causing the sluggish shifting? @Diggs24

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211013-111111~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20211013-111111~2.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 37