GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Golf R - Warranty & Mods Questions

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well if you do an APR tune you can get the warranty from APR for like 200.00 more, that covers the engine if something happens. Can't get that with JB4. Also if you have a dealer like mine that does performance upgrades (tunes, brakes, exhausts, etc), they will take care of issues with warranty claims than those that don't. You could look for another dealer, or buy the APR warranty, which covers the engine. I talked to my dealer all about this when I bought my R.
The APR Plus warranty is $400 and is only offered on the lowest power/torque tune so you are limited in that respect. "mod friendly" dealers are great, but keep in mind that VW determines what backup is required for a warranty claim regardless of how friendly the dealer is and if that backup shows you are tuned the dealer will not do the repair on the house.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
What the salesman tells you and what the dealer is actually willing to do are often not the same thing.

It's almost like they'll tell you whatever you want to hear so they can sell you a car...or something.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
1. JB4, does it get you flagged (TD1)? If not, do you need to remove it when you go into the dealer? https://burgertuning.com/products/jb1-jb4-group-1-vag-tuner?variant=32971474062
1b. Is JB1/JB4 only different because JB4 allows map changes and JB1 doesn't?
1c. TLDR, APR tune is a death sentence basically?

2. Things like intakes don't get you TD1 flagged correct? That is strictly a ECM designation by the VW group?

3. Intakes. I know they don't offer huge gains, it's about the noise for me. I love how this one that I've linked below (over the boring sounding R600), from looks to sound, but does this mod cause any flag, or any serious warranty claim denials down the chain?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-eventur...h-plastic-duct-black-carbon/eve2tfsiplint~vn/ (any thoughts about this system is also welcomed and appreciated)

4. Catback exhaust should be safe correct, cause it doesn't lift the restriction. The only thing it really does is change the sound, and the downpipe is actually the restriction, so an exhaust itself is safe to not cause warranty issues down the chain. Obviously, warranty doesn't cover the exhaust itself, but everything before in the chain is fine?
4b. Downpipes a problem? This is where you get your real gains, but is it even worth-while if you want to stay under protection?

5. What are some other warranty friendly mods, that are not cosmetic if you know of any?
1) No.
1b) No.
1c) For your car, no. For your warranty (if your engine/turbo blow up), yes, unless you go APR+ from the dealer.

2) Correct.
3) No.

4) Correct.
4b). Downpipe will cause a CEL unless you get a spacer or a stage 2 tune. Other than that there won't be an issue.

5) Pedal box, OBDEleven tweaks, wheels and tires, suspension, blow off valve, catch can (up for debate), aftermarket diverter valve, turbo inlet pipes, the list goes on.

Don't mod your car just for the sake of modding it. Make a goal and mod to get there.

cb1111

Well if you do an APR tune you can get the warranty from APR for like 200.00 more, that covers the engine if something happens. Can't get that with JB4. Also if you have a dealer like mine that does performance upgrades (tunes, brakes, exhausts, etc), they will take care of issues with warranty claims than those that don't. You could look for another dealer, or buy the APR warranty, which covers the engine. I talked to my dealer all about this when I bought my R.
Have you actually read the warranty for the APR? You need to increase your oil change schedule and, if there is a problem, you need to take it to an APR dealer for repair. And, of course, you can't have any non-APR mods on your car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Have you actually read the warranty for the APR? You need to increase your oil change schedule and, if there is a problem, you need to take it to an APR dealer for repair. And, of course, you can't have any non-APR mods on your car.

I would like to hear from someone who successfully got APR to cover a warranty related repair.