GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Golf R spare tire pressure?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
VW doesn't put the spare tire pressure on the door because they can't control what spare tire the person will have. If your car came with a space saver and 60 lbs was on the door sticker and then you get a full size spare and ultimately sell the car the new owner would put 60 lbs in the spare because of the sticker. And putting 60 lbs in a full size spare would not be good.

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Here you go, took this pic when I visited VW Wolfsburg:

DOT did not like showing 2 pressures, half load, full load . So they dumbed it down for us and just put one pressure on our stickers.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Thanks! 61psi, then. It's also interesting how 18" snow tires need an extra few psi compared to every other type. I happen to run 18" snows myself, so I'll set them around 43psi.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
60 PSI and if your shop tests spare psi they are a good shop.

why would snow tires want more psi?

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
why would snow tires want more psi?
Perhaps the softer compound typically means greater sidewall flex, and higher psi mitigates it? Not sure, but it's what the photo above seems to be conveying (just for 18", not 17").

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
. . . in almost all cases you would NOT use the max because it results in too small of a contact patch.

Space-saver spare tires aren't exactly like those found on your other wheels. They use a rubber compound similar to what you'd find on a sportbike. They wear very, very, fast, but provide an exceptional amount of grip for their small contact patch.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
And that pressure would be 60 psi.
My wifes spare, in her 2019 Beetle Turbo Convertible states this psi.

Agreed, as Bdurrell stated, my donuts run 60psi cold. I still recommend one carries a small 12v air pump though just in case as the pressure drops significantly in the colder months while it sits in the trunk.

Not to mention my Carvana purchase recently (used 2016 Fiesta ST) came with a full sized spare with 13psi.. LOL

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Conveniently, the lack of spare from the factory means it has a 12v compressor from the factory (part of the "mobility kit") that fits into the foam toolbox behind the spare... after slight modification of the foam.