GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Golf R spare tire pressure?

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I purchased the spare tire (part 5G0-601-011) and associated parts. What is the recommended tire pressure? Not max pressure, that is on the sidewall of course. The USA owner's manual and door jamb does not provide this information. I could use a load index table but I'd much rather just see a non-USA door jamb sticker if someone would be so kind! I also tried asking through the vw.de contact form (in German using Google Translate, an apology for my German, and then in English) but it's been 2 weeks without a reply.

Here's mine:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If its those skinny space saver types its to the very high pressure marked on the sidewall......

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Wait, really? I've always heard that there are 2 different pressures: the max the tire can handle (marked on the sidewall), and the recommended pressure (on the door jamb sticker) based on the weight of the vehicle (not sure if curb weight or GVWR, or some combination) and that in almost all cases you would NOT use the max because it results in too small of a contact patch.

I'd just feel a little better seeing proof that the number on the door jamb sticker (ideally from a non-US Mk7 Golf R) is identical to the number on the sidewall.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just look at the tire. It says exactly what pressure to use if it's a space saver tire.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I thought the tire doesn't say what to use, it says what the max is. I'm just looking to know what people's door stickers say, like I mentioned in the first post!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I thought the tire doesn't say what to use, it says what the max is. I'm just looking to know what people's door stickers say, like I mentioned in the first post!

Not on space saver tires. Is there a reason you won't just look at it?

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Not on space saver tires.
Ah, that's the issue! I've only ever had full size spares and now no spare, so I've never had a car where I could've noticed that the door jamb (recommendation) and sidewall (max) were identical. This is the magic piece of the puzzle that nobody else seemed to get was the disconnect leading to my question. [edit: oops, golfdave did but I kind of glossed past it, sorry!]

Is there a reason you won't just look at it?
I mentioned that I saw what was on the sidewall in post #1. Third sentence :) I'm just conditioned to never go by the sidewall and plenty of sources suggest that there are people out there who assume they should fill to the sidewall pressure even for regular tires!

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ah, that's the issue! I've only ever had full size spares and now no spare, so I've never had a car where I could've noticed that the door jamb (recommendation) and sidewall (max) were identical. This is the magic piece of the puzzle that nobody else seemed to get was the disconnect leading to my question. [edit: oops, golfdave did but I kind of glossed past it, sorry!]

I mentioned that I saw what was on the sidewall in post #1. Third sentence :) I'm just conditioned to never go by the sidewall and plenty of sources suggest that there are people out there who assume they should fill to the sidewall pressure even for regular tires!

Since you don't have a space saver spare then you would use the same air pressure that's recommended for your other tires. If you used a different pressure for just the spare you would get a tire pressure warning on the MFD.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Since you don't have a space saver spare
No I do have one (see post #1), but in the US it doesn't come with the car, so the manual says to look at the door jamb and the door jamb says "none". I was just saying how my lack of understanding (about compact spares having identical recommended pressure and max pressure) was due to only ever buying cars that have full size spare or no spare.

I fully expect to get the MFD warning if I ever drive on it, no concern there.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No I do have one (see post #1), but in the US it doesn't come with the car, so the manual says to look at the door jamb and the door jamb says "none". I was just saying how my lack of understanding (about compact spares having identical recommended pressure and max pressure) was due to only ever buying cars that have full size spare or no spare.

I fully expect to get the MFD warning if I ever drive on it, no concern there.

When I go to Discount Tire to get my wheels rotated and balanced they check the pressure on the space saver tire. There is a yellow sticker on the wheel stating the pressure.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
The yellow sticker on this one only has the max speed (50mph/80kph), oddly enough.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
60psi. I just thought the number on the tire is meant to be disregarded in favor of what's on the door sticker. Not so, apparently.