GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 GTI SE front brake job cost

silvergti2016

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI SE PP
2016 VW GTI SE Performance Package

VW dealer just quoted me ~$750 for a front brake job ( rotors pads etc ). Said I was 3mm and needed to get it done right now.

That price seems very high so I thought I'd check with people.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
$150 at my shop and I brought the pads, and that included them de-tuning my car from Uni

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Brakes are incredibly easy to change, even for someone with the most basic mechanical knowledge, and does not require much in the way of tools. You can buy OEM spec parts for a fraction of what the dealer quoted you, and do it yourself.

Watch a video, and see if it's something you'd be comfortable doing yourself.

It's literally only 4 bolts. You could do it yourself the first time without knowing what you're doing in 2 hours.

I learnt how to do it on my last car, a local shop quoted me $700 for a full front and rear pad/rotor job, I did all 4 corners myself for $200 in parts and a couple hours of labor.

Hell, if you were local I'd offer to lend my garage and help you do it. Brake jobs are the biggest overcharged job there is.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
^ this is all true. That's said however, for someone living in an apartment with no garage, it makes this easy of a job, a bit more complicated.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
^ this is all true. That's said however, for someone living in an apartment with no garage, it makes this easy of a job, a bit more complicated.

What the hell you do have maybe a foot between you and the guy parked next to you in those apartment parking lots. ?

silvergti2016

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI SE PP
But in terms of dealer service vs local garage , is it true what dealer says that aftermarket doesn't last as long, squeaks, not as smooth , etc. ? And why can't local garage use OEM ?

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
But in terms of dealer service vs local garage , is it true what dealer says that aftermarket doesn't last as long, squeaks, not as smooth , etc. ? And why can't local garage use OEM ?

That's misleading

It's Mac VS PC.

The dealer will sell you a Mac: Basic and generally inferior, yet a quantity known by everyone with good quality control.

Aftermarket is like buying a PC: For the same price, it'll blow the doors off anything Apple makes... But you can spend more or less, and there are countless different configurations and manufacturers. If you spend more, you can Crysis. If you spend less, you can get a big discount on performance identical to the Mac. You can also go too far, and end up with an E-Machines; which I'm sure will at least run Commander Keen at 60FPS...

If the dealer told you aftermarket brakes perform as you described, they are referring to the cheap junk on the market; the E-Machines of brakes. Brakes of the same quality the dealer uses (and sometimes the exact same product in a different box) are generally available for less than a dealer will charge. There are exceptions, but most of the time that's the case.

They didn't technically lie to you, but they did imply an absolute where they should not have.

It's true that aftermarket brakes don't last ask long, squeak, and aren't as smooth; but it's also true that blue whales are small when fat people are named Octavius.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Brakes are incredibly easy to change, even for someone with the most basic mechanical knowledge, and does not require much in the way of tools. You can buy OEM spec parts for a fraction of what the dealer quoted you, and do it yourself.

Watch a video, and see if it's something you'd be comfortable doing yourself.

It's literally only 4 bolts. You could do it yourself the first time without knowing what you're doing in 2 hours.

I learnt how to do it on my last car, a local shop quoted me $700 for a full front and rear pad/rotor job, I did all 4 corners myself for $200 in parts and a couple hours of labor.

Hell, if you were local I'd offer to lend my garage and help you do it. Brake jobs are the biggest overcharged job there is.
I have to agree. I paid a shop to do the brakes on my s2000 and they had swapped the inner/outer pads around so that the contact wasnt being made on the rotor. IDK how they even managed to re-assemble the calipers with the pads backward (they had little notches that would cause them to not install correctly..it was super obvious to me when I took the one corner apart when I saw there was no pad contact at all on the rotor).

Anyways I fixed it myself. The worst part of any brake job is bleeding brakes, just because you need someone to pump the brakes for you. Even then its not that bad.

Make friends with someone that has a house and problem solved if you live in an aparment.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Anyways I fixed it myself. The worst part of any brake job is bleeding brakes, just because you need someone to pump the brakes for you. Even then its not that bad.

It's debatable, but I don't think they need to be bled any time you just change pads/rotors. Doing that shouldn't introduce any air into the lines. Still a good idea to flush and change fluid every few years though.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
It's debatable, but I don't think they need to be bled any time you just change pads/rotors. Doing that shouldn't introduce any air into the lines. Still a good idea to flush and change fluid every few years though.

That depends upon how often they are changed. In normal driving for most people, brake hardware often outlasts the service life of many (not all) brake fluids, which tend to absorb water over time.

So, while changing pads and rotors doesn't introduce air into the system, the fact that it's time to change those parts often means it's time to change the fluid, which will mandate bleeding.