GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 Gti Mk7 heating issue

Mikehughes678

Hey guys!

Before I dive in I have looked around on this site for some answers but never found anything too concrete, so if I missed anything, feel free to guide me in the right direction to other threads!

On that note,

I have a 2016 mk7 gti with performance package. I’m running into a problem where it takes way to long to blow hot air through the AC. I start the car, get to engine temp within 5 or so minutes, and then I don’t get any hot air until my oil temp gets up to roughly 200°F. My best guess from researching is there’s either an air bubble in the coolant system or something wrong with the Coolant control Valve. My coolant level is above the min line, oil change was done shy of 5k miles ago and I’ve taken very good care of this car.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on why it’s taking so long to heat up? Normal day I start driving, it’s roughly 40°F outside and it takes a good 20-25 minutes of driving to get hot air, but when it comes on it works great which leads me to believe the heater core is fine as well.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Do all the vents feel about the same temperature? Don't think it's a bubble since i'm pretty sure we have a self burping system

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
It was 16 degrees this morning and I had heat coming out of the vents in the first mile. Oil got to 200 degrees after 15 minutes. I think you have a thermostat, water pump, or blend door problem.

Mikehughes678

It was 16 degrees this morning and I had heat coming out of the vents in the first mile. Oil got to 200 degrees after 15 minutes. I think you have a thermostat, water pump, or blend door problem.

hey thanks for the advice! Have you experienced this? And or do you have any advice on how to check this without taking it in? I'm decently handy with cars, done a couple clutch and flywheel swaps, worked on linkage and replaced master and slave cylinder in my last car. Building a bike right now too lol. Mainly curious if you’ve got a good idea on where I should start to diagnose properly. I had an obd2 plugged in recently and wasn’t getting anything aside from the 40000 mile transmission service. Thanks!!

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
It was 13 degrees this morning and I had heat within 5 minutes again. Oil temps didn't get to 200 until I hit the highway. This is what I would do.

Get some OEM coolant and fill the reservoir to the max line. Check it at least weekly.
Jack up the car. Remove the belly pan. Look for leaks around the water pump and thermostat housing.
Hook up a VW scan tool and check for codes. If no codes connect to the measurement block for the water temperature and take the car for a drive. VCDS can do this, I don't know about OBDeleven.

If your coolant is up to temp and you still don't have heat, it's either a clogged heater core or a blend door problem. Check the heater core first.

ervybaby

Car(s)
Golf2015 Mk7 TSi 1.8
similar problem: slow heater in my Golf TSI 2015. The car can take a long while before the heater gets hot in -10F (-14 celc.). Engine temperature rises normally to halfway. I have standard heating system (not the clima-control) I'm suspecting a sensor.

Egil

Hey guys!

Before I dive in I have looked around on this site for some answers but never found anything too concrete, so if I missed anything, feel free to guide me in the right direction to other threads!

On that note,

I have a 2016 mk7 gti with performance package. I’m running into a problem where it takes way to long to blow hot air through the AC. I start the car, get to engine temp within 5 or so minutes, and then I don’t get any hot air until my oil temp gets up to roughly 200°F. My best guess from researching is there’s either an air bubble in the coolant system or something wrong with the Coolant control Valve. My coolant level is above the min line, oil change was done shy of 5k miles ago and I’ve taken very good care of this car.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on why it’s taking so long to heat up? Normal day I start driving, it’s roughly 40°F outside and it takes a good 20-25 minutes of driving to get hot air, but when it comes on it works great which leads me to believe the heater core is fine as well.

There are one (or two?) electrical water pumps in addition to a solenoid valve as parts of the heating system. Anybody who have any experience with these?

Egil

Hey guys!

On that note,

Have you solved the problem?

ervybaby

Car(s)
Golf2015 Mk7 TSi 1.8
Just a followup in case anyone else gets a similar problem - it's worth mentioning that my heating works fine at the freezing point temperature down to -5 or so. Anything below and the blend door freezes. My dealer did a diagnostic and no errors came up in warm conditions. Heater core and antifreeze dont need to be changed since I have low mileage and its not a thermostat issue either. Thanks.

VW'15GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW GTI '15
Just a followup in case anyone else gets a similar problem - it's worth mentioning that my heating works fine at the freezing point temperature down to -5 or so. Anything below and the blend door freezes. My dealer did a diagnostic and no errors came up in warm conditions. Heater core and antifreeze dont need to be changed since I have low mileage and its not a thermostat issue either. Thanks.
How do you know and more specifically, how do you diagnose this? Is there a code coming up? Should I set the car outside so that the blend door freezes and that I get the code? How much does it cost to replace it? My car's in a garage so I don't see why it would freeze. Engine is hot quick air is cold for 15 minutes.