GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 - DSG shift lag issues when using sport mode with kickdown

supermanus

Car(s)
Golf R 2016
Hi all, let me first introduce my car before I try to explain the issue. Since couple months now I own a Golf R MK7, 2016 with milage of 86k (kms). It's my go to car when I need to feel like I'm 22 again haha. The previous owner installed a Remus exhaust with no resonated catback. The sound is awesome (😁) when driving in s mode, while in drive it's fairly modest.

Right after I purchased the car I did the usual maintenance, also installed a smaller set of winter tyres. Which is obligatory in Germany - I myself live in the Netherlands near Germany Now the less fun part. When in do full throttle in S mode, there is a huge lag when shifting through 1,2 and 3. The car is really holding itself, loosing some momentum before shifting and then going bananas again.

Let me sum it up for better understanding
- only happens in s mode with kickdown.
- no lag when using s mode without going all in
- drive mode there is no lag at all whatsoever, shifts beautifully as a dsg should do. With or without kickdown!
- using the flippers no lag whatsoever, but I suspect using "manual" is same as drive mode
- car has pop and bang mode (is this the correct term?)
- no faulty codes with odbeleven
- already visited two dealers but they told me it could be anything and said let's do a dsg flush but with no guarantee if it will solve it
- tire change from 19" to 18", car sits lower now and due to the tire I do get a lot of traction error when going bananas 😁

Now smth important to mention. For the tire change I dropped the car at VW. They called me that the car could get an update because of some recall issue. I declined but it feels to me they did it anyway. Ofc I can't confirm this.

This week I'll prob visit one of the best VW tuners in Holland, get the car diagnosed by them. But it bugs me for couple days now and the only thing I do is try to find if others had have this issue or heard about it

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Have you tried the transmission adaptation reset thingy via obd11 yet? Someone was mentioning in a different thread that doing the adaptations fixes a lot of things and should be your first step in diagnosing problems.

I’m not sure how to do it but I’m sure you can find a good video via YouTube.

supermanus

Car(s)
Golf R 2016
Have you tried the transmission adaptation reset thingy via obd11 yet? Someone was mentioning in a different thread that doing the adaptations fixes a lot of things and should be your first step in diagnosing problems.

I’m not sure how to do it but I’m sure you can find a good video via YouTube.

I'll try this one

My stock'16 doesn't do it. What do you mean "with kickdown"? At what speeds does this happen?

Its called kickdown in the Netherlands :) as in, full throttle flat out. Happens when car needs to shift to next throttle, not on a givin speed or smth

I'll try to record it on video

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I see. That means something else here, it's when you activate the switch on the gas pedal.

- using the flippers no lag whatsoever, but I suspect using "manual" is same as drive mode

I believe the DSG goes into sport mode when you use the flippers (we call them paddles) even though there's no visual indication. Are you revving the engine to a very high RPM? I suspect not.

- car has pop and bang mode (is this the correct term?}

Yes, but that's probably from your aftermarket exhaust, unless the car has a tune that contains it.

no faulty codes with odbeleven

If the transmission clutch pack was slipping you probably wouldn't have any error codes. And what size are your smaller tires? You stated the car sits lower and has less traction. The system knows the car's speed relative to the engine and transmission shafts RPM. There are sensors that tell the ECM this. THE MOST IMORTANT QUESTION IS, DID YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE YOU PUT ON THE SMALLER WHEELS AND TIRES? Usually you keep the same overall diameter or close to it by choosing a tire with a different aspect ratio.

- already visited two dealers but they told me it could be anything and said let's do a dsg flush but with no guarantee if it will solve it
- tire change from 19" to 18", car sits lower now and due to the tire I do get a lot of traction error when going bananas 😁

No, it couldn't be "anything". A DSG flush is a money maker, and should already have be done. See if there are service records. You shouldn't be having DSG problems at that kms unless the previous owner(s) beat the car or it's low on fluid.

VP_Rides

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hi all, let me first introduce my car before I try to explain the issue. Since couple months now I own a Golf R MK7, 2016 with milage of 86k (kms). It's my go to car when I need to feel like I'm 22 again haha. The previous owner installed a Remus exhaust with no resonated catback. The sound is awesome (😁) when driving in s mode, while in drive it's fairly modest.

Right after I purchased the car I did the usual maintenance, also installed a smaller set of winter tyres. Which is obligatory in Germany - I myself live in the Netherlands near Germany Now the less fun part. When in do full throttle in S mode, there is a huge lag when shifting through 1,2 and 3. The car is really holding itself, loosing some momentum before shifting and then going bananas again.

- only happens in s mode with kickdown.
- no lag when using s mode without going all in
- drive mode there is no lag at all whatsoever, shifts beautifully as a dsg should do. With or without kickdown!
- car has pop and bang mode (is this the correct term?)
- no faulty codes with odbeleven

Now smth important to mention. For the tire change I dropped the car at VW. They called me that the car could get an update because of some recall issue. I declined but it feels to me they did it anyway. Ofc I can't confirm this.

This week I'll prob visit one of the best VW tuners in Holland, get the car diagnosed by them. But it bugs me for couple days now and the only thing I do is try to find if others had have this issue or heard about it
If by "kick-down" you mean when you push the pedal all the way to the ground and press the button underneath, my 2019 R has the same "issue". If i floor it without the button, it'll accelerate no problem but still some lag. If I use the button, then from the time I floor it, the car needs to downshift, then spool the turbo, and then you can go. Thats the reason for the lag if I am understanding the issue you bring correctly. With manual mode, when you downshift, it revs it up and that why there is no lag...because it is already within the correct rev range. Hope this helps! I know the lag is annoying hahaha you've probably tried flooring it at the lights before and it takes a solid second or two before going absolutely insane

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If by "kick-down" you mean when you push the pedal all the way to the ground and press the button underneath, my 2019 R has the same "issue". If i floor it without the button, it'll accelerate no problem but still some lag. If I use the button, then from the time I floor it, the car needs to downshift, then spool the turbo, and then you can go. Thats the reason for the lag if I am understanding the issue you bring correctly. With manual mode, when you downshift, it revs it up and that why there is no lag...because it is already within the correct rev range. Hope this helps! I know the lag is annoying hahaha you've probably tried flooring it at the lights before and it takes a solid second or two before going absolutely insane

A DSG tune will fix that.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
oh yea absolutely, tuning your DSG and engine will solve so many lag issues. I was more referring to having the same issue, and my car only has 10k kms so I dont think there is anything wrong, its just built that way
i flashed the car with apr stage 1 and dsg when it only had like 900-1000 miles or so. i never felt the dsg lag at all. but i dont think im allowed to have an opinion since i dont even know what a stock gti feels like.

my wife's 2020 gli is stock and in D S or manual mode, i never felt lag. i once stomped on it in 5th, and it downshifted all the way to 3rd (i think) and there was a bit of lag there. when i do this on my tuned gti itll downshift way quicker. what i felt with the GLI, is that the lag u guys are talking about?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
i flashed the car with apr stage 1 and dsg when it only had like 900-1000 miles or so. i never felt the dsg lag at all. but i dont think im allowed to have an opinion since i dont even know what a stock gti feels like.

my wife's 2020 gli is stock and in D S or manual mode, i never felt lag. i once stomped on it in 5th, and it downshifted all the way to 3rd (i think) and there was a bit of lag there. when i do this on my tuned gti itll downshift way quicker. what i felt with the GLI, is that the lag u guys are talking about?

That's the lag they are talking about. The lag is the DSG figuring out what gear to go to and getting there.