GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 Base (Non-DCC) Golf R rides rough

spessx

Ready to race!
So I've got a base Golf R with Eibach Pro springs. It bottoms out over even minor road imperfections making me constantly pucker up and dodge every road imperfection. The stock springs sucked too - so much roll, dive and squat that it felt like a 70's Ford LTD.

The spring lowered the car less than 1/2 - so I'm guessing that its not loss of stroke that's creating the issue. Do you think that upgrading the struts and shocks would help?

Here are the two optoins I'm considering:

1. Keep the Eibach springs and add Bilstein B8 dampers. Would this make the ride worse?
2. Go back to the stock springs and add Bilstein B6 dampers? But would the car be sloppy like stock again?

Anyway, I'd love to hear everyone's input.

iso100

I doubt it's bottoming out. More likely it is just stiff and feels that way.

If you truly believe it's hitting the bump stops due to lack of valving then new dampers will help prevent that, although it will likely make it feel even rougher.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
The car is most likely riding on bump stops. I had the same issue on my MK7 GTI with VWR springs. I hated the ride especially with passengers on board.

In your case I would probably get something like KW coil overs (make sure it can provide stock height) and set the ride height at stock height.

I have not lowered my Golf-R and do not plan to as she already rides lower than a stock GTI and looks great with my 19" BBS wheels.

spessx

Ready to race!
The car is most likely riding on bump stops. I had the same issue on my MK7 GTI with VWR springs. I hated the ride especially with passengers on board.

In your case I would probably get something like KW coil overs (make sure it can provide stock height) and set the ride height at stock height.

I have not lowered my Golf-R and do not plan to as she already rides lower than a stock GTI and looks great with my 19" BBS wheels.
I was considering Bilstein B16 Coilovers. Both the height and dampening are adjustable. I’m not sure they can be set to stock ride height though.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
75E53333-F6CF-480A-84C6-671200E0534F.jpeg

spessx

Ready to race!
I had my springs installed by a shop and the bump stops have not been trimmed. Maybe I should give that a try? I wonder if I can trim them with without uninstalling everything?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I had my springs installed by a shop and the bump stops have not been trimmed. Maybe I should give that a try? I wonder if I can trim them with without uninstalling everything?
You can, but it's tight on the front struts.. Just lift the car up and slide the dust boot up on the front (though it's tight with the spring coils there) and down on the rear. You'll need to zip tie the boot back up again on the rear too. Be VERY careful not to cut too deep so you don't scratch the strut/shock shaft though.
Use a razor blade or something like that to cut them.

spessx

Ready to race!
Ok, so I tried cutting the bump stop. My long box cutter couldn’t even scratch it. I tried using the blade out of a hacksaw (don’t worry, I would have been careful not to scratch the strut) and neither would even scratch it. I then tried heating the box cutter blade with a lighter and that didn’t work either.

Check out the black band at the bottom of the bump stop. Does that make the bump stop stiffer? Can just the band be cut off and would it help to soften things up?

Attachments

• 9F513AC9-9924-4661-8606-3FE6488C8E05.jpeg
    9F513AC9-9924-4661-8606-3FE6488C8E05.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82