GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 Autobahn Sluggish

Sparklehoof

Car(s)
VW GTI
I have read some other threads where people have had this problem and I wondered if anyone has figured out what it is and how to fix it.
It seems like a number of people concluded that it’s a sign of a dying O2 sensor.
My 2016 Autobahn has ~60,000 miles and is an automatic.
There aren’t any lights on the dash, and there are no error Codes.
Air filter is clean and just had fluids replaced and new spark plugs put in a couple weeks ago.
I have bought gas several times since the spark plug change so I don’t think it’s a fuel issue.
Sometimes the idling is a little off, but I’ve had very few misfires. I have noticed that the miles per gallon reading in the center Dash is all over the place where is it used to be between about 9 miles per gallon to 32 miles per gallon on the highway. Now it’s changing quickly (several times per second) between zero and 200.
I’ve also noticed that when I put it in manual mode, it isn’t very responsive especially when I’m going from 2nd to 3rd sometimes I’ll have to move the lever several times. I had been using the full automatic mode most of the time, but I started using the manual mode to see if it would help with the responsiveness, and the gas guzzling.
I brought the car back in today to have them look over it again to make sure the plugs weren’t damaged or that there wasn’t anything that was put back incorrectly.
The mechanic test drove the car and said it felt fine to him but he’s not used to driving this car.
Any thoughts?

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
a lot to unpack....a good indy german car shop...is your best bet...

Carbon buildup? best guess...but 60K is on the lower end for that being an issue....but possible.

Last edited:

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I have noticed that the miles per gallon reading in the center Dash is all over the place where is it used to be between about 9 miles per gallon to 32 miles per gallon on the highway. Now it’s changing quickly (several times per second) between zero and 200.
I’ve also noticed that when I put it in manual mode, it isn’t very responsive especially when I’m going from 2nd to 3rd sometimes I’ll have to move the lever several times.
Ummm, you have two MPG screens. One is your AVERAGE, the other is in REAL TIME. Do you know which one you are looking at?

Please explain what you mean about being in manual mode and having to "move the lever several times" What lever are you talking about?

When was your last DSG maintenance performed?