GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 TSI brake kit.

Reflex579

Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
Hey guys,

I’m looking to upgrade my brakes in the spring time and I don’t really know what to buy, I have dedicated snows on the stock 16” rims so I’d need the brakes to clear that.
I was looking at wilwood as I know they are pretty good quality for the price but I don’t really know what sizes to look for. I also don’t think I need drilled or vented as it’s only a street car and I don’t really plan on tracking it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If your car is otherwise stock I just don't see the need for aftermarket brakes. I think you're expecting more than you get with aftermarket brakes especially considering your usage.

Reflex579

Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
I currently have a custom made stage 1 tune pushing 225HP and im getting new 18" rims in the spring. My current rotors and pads are completely shot and will need to be replaced in the new year anyway. I just wanted something a little nicer looking than the stock ones. Even retrofitting some GTI calipers wouldnt be a bad move. I just wasnt sure if i could get something cheaper than OEM as i know they tend to be quite pricey. Do you have any ideas?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

MK_NBO

Car(s)
MK7 Golf 1.4 TSi HL
I currently have a custom made stage 1 tune pushing 225HP and im getting new 18" rims in the spring. My current rotors and pads are completely shot and will need to be replaced in the new year anyway. I just wanted something a little nicer looking than the stock ones. Even retrofitting some GTI calipers wouldnt be a bad move. I just wasnt sure if i could get something cheaper than OEM as i know they tend to be quite pricey. Do you have any ideas?
Hi. Can you sahre more about your Stage 1 Tune? I also have a 2015 TSI and I am looking for a tune to get at least 180HP. Cheers

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
@golfdave's conversion thread is probably your cheapest/best bang for your buck option if you are dead set on a brake upgrade.

Maybe check out Prodigy Werks calipers too. $425 USD for a 4 piston aluminum caliper with pads and brackets. What I don't know is if their 288mm (or 312mm kit if you are trying to upgrade the rotor size too) kit would clear 16in wheels. I don't know if stock VW lines work with them. And their pic looks like they don't have dust seals in the CR-4 caliper, which probably means more frequent maintenance (fluid changes and replacing pressure seals). If you go this route, do this research first.
https://www.prodigywerks.com/audia3-vwgolf

I do have a friend who has their 312mm set and is very happy though. I could put you in touch with him if you decide to go that route and would like some first-person feedback.

Reflex579

Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
Hi. Can you sahre more about your Stage 1 Tune? I also have a 2015 TSI and I am looking for a tune to get at least 180HP. Cheers
Hey, I got my tune custom made by a local company called HPA Motorsports. They read my ECU and created a custom map for my car. I also upgraded the air filter, coil packs and spark plugs as well as an HPA turbo muffler delete. The car im guessing has close to 225HP and can spin brand new snow tires with a dry road in second gear. I got it tuned a few months ago and still havent been able to feel full throttle yet beacause traction control throttles the engine back every time I accelerate. And if i turn traction control off i just sit there spinning the tires no matter what I do XD. So come spring im gonna get a nice set of Michellin pilot sport S'. Which im super excited for. But if you want a good deal contact Alan from HPA and he'll be able to set you up.

MK_NBO

Car(s)
MK7 Golf 1.4 TSi HL
Hey, I got my tune custom made by a local company called HPA Motorsports. They read my ECU and created a custom map for my car. I also upgraded the air filter, coil packs and spark plugs as well as an HPA turbo muffler delete. The car im guessing has close to 225HP and can spin brand new snow tires with a dry road in second gear. I got it tuned a few months ago and still havent been able to feel full throttle yet beacause traction control throttles the engine back every time I accelerate. And if i turn traction control off i just sit there spinning the tires no matter what I do XD. So come spring im gonna get a nice set of Michellin pilot sport S'. Which im super excited for. But if you want a good deal contact Alan from HPA and he'll be able to set you up.
Thank you. I'll get in touch.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Big brake kits don't decrease stopping distance unless you literally *are* tracking to where you would get brake fade. Now if you plan to go on some hard drives in the summer where you will be hitting your brakes a lot, Dragon's Tail, etc then they might help. Otherwise wider, stickier rubber will help you brake faster, otherwise you are just hitting ABS that much faster with big brakes.
https://www.cquence.net/blog/big-brake-kits-do-they-work/

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Big brake kits don't decrease stopping distance unless you literally *are* tracking to where you would get brake fade. Now if you plan to go on some hard drives in the summer where you will be hitting your brakes a lot, Dragon's Tail, etc then they might help. Otherwise wider, stickier rubber will help you brake faster, otherwise you are just hitting ABS that much faster with big brakes.
You are correct. So many guys spend lots of money getting big brakes and then have to change wheels also expecting their car to have magical braking power and unless tracking are a waste of money. Get better pads and tires as you said.

Reflex579

Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
That makes sense. I don't think I'm looking for "big brake kit" per say, as it still needs to fit my stock 16" rims. I'm just looking for a sportier option than my stock TSI ones. I might just retrofit a GTI kit if it makes sense economically.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
That makes sense. I don't think I'm looking for "big brake kit" per say, as it still needs to fit my stock 16" rims. I'm just looking for a sportier option than my stock TSI ones. I might just retrofit a GTI kit if it makes sense economically.
Faur enough, but you'd likely need at least 17" wheels to fit the larger rotors, but don't quote me on that. You're better off going with wider and stickier tires, like lower treadwear rated/AA traction and going with some good brake pads like EBC Red Stuff, which are ceramic based so not much dust but still a nice upgrade over stock. I was lucky and a friend of a friend sold me OEM 18" Q5 wheels for $40 total and I just put some cheapie 225/40/18 (stock GTI size) tires on and it made me feel like I literally had a whole new car.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

The 312mm conversion (from 288mm) as per my previously mentioned thread is the best option & should fit the majority of 16" rims...VW uses 16" rims for its winter tyre packages on this....tight fit but will do (wheel dependent)....much like the bigger 340mmm PP/R brakes will just fit inside a 17" rim..