GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 MK7 gti noise

Dennys11

Car(s)
Mk7 gti
Hi guys, new here. I only recently bought a gti and hope someone can help me.

I have a noise coming from engine area and can’t figure out what it is.

Brought it to my local garage and they couldn’t identify the cause.

It only happens when the engine is fully heated up and if you just blip the throttle like in the video link, or when accelerating. Can also hear a slight metallic noise between 1.5k and 3k rpm.

I see loads about downpipes online but I’m not sure if this is from the DP.

thanks a mill
Daryl

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Hi guys, new here. I only recently bought a gti and hope someone can help me.

I have a noise coming from engine area and can’t figure out what it is.

Brought it to my local garage and they couldn’t identify the cause.

It only happens when the engine is fully heated up and if you just blip the throttle like in the video link, or when accelerating. Can also hear a slight metallic noise between 1.5k and 3k rpm.

I see loads about downpipes online but I’m not sure if this is from the DP.

thanks a mill
Daryl
Are you able to build the revs very slowly and reach a spot where the sound keeps happening if the revs are held? If so post another video of it. 👍

Dennys11

Car(s)
Mk7 gti
Are you able to build the revs very slowly and reach a spot where the sound keeps happening if the revs are held? If so post another video of it. 👍
No it literally only happens when first pulling away or when I change gear and accelerate..
the faint metallic noise I can’t get on video.. I’d be sure it’s somehow related to that main noise I posted in the video though.

@jimlloyd40 - probably not a bad idea

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I’ve heard GM trucks make the same noise backing a trailer up a hill. Maybe a little spark knock or something

Dennys11

Car(s)
Mk7 gti
Jam something like folded paper into fuel lines under front door area to see if they are vibrating. Make sure fuel line holder is not undone.
It’s coming from the engine Bay Area, doesn’t sound like it would be from under front door

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
It’s coming from the engine Bay Area, doesn’t sound like it would be from under front door
The comment Diggs made is a common simple fix to a lot of sounds like this one... When you blip your fuel pump on it will cause loose fuel lines to rattle. Take the advice from seasoned MK7 forum guys or don't, your choice. You are the one who came here asking for help. Sounds travels. I had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the glove box but it was actually the seat. Give it a try. It costs nothing at all except about 15 seconds of your time to jam paper in there.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Reverb and echoes make it tough to determine where the sound is originating.

Sounds more like maybe something is loose, but trying to pin it is the hard part.

Direct contradiction.

Just try Diggs suggestion, if it's wrong you'll have something over a forum luminary, we'll throw you a party 🥳

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds like the clamp on the downpipe isn't tight. Put your hand down their and feel for any air passing on your hand. Should be none. Could also be the clamp directly connected to the turbo is loose.