GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti

Mrgrimloc79

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 gti se
That is a tough one, fault codes are a constant pain in the butt. I got a 2018 GTI 7.5 and I've got 50 faults on mine none of which affects the driving.
But in my opinion I would probably sell it and try to find a new one, obviously try to find another one 1st but that would be what I would do.
As you said the market is in your favor, I totaled a 2020 GTI on Christmas Day and they gave me $16,500 for it so if that tells you anything.
I was lucky enough to find that 2018 in Cincinnati for about $24,000 so think I made out pretty good seeing as how I got pocket change leftover.
Good luck bruh.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Sell it and find a cxca or cxcb engine with around similar miles that way you have somewhat of a similar price.
These engines should be pretty faultless, I am close to you in kms, but haven’t had a single engine fault yet so far.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I'm curious why you say the CNTA engine sucks. How is it different from, say, the CXCA (which mine has)?

Last edited:

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
I didn't show them the codes but they definitely got them, they had my car for a couple days just doing diagnostic. They billed me for 17 hours of labor just to take apart my engine or so they claimed just to recommend that I should just replace everything. Brand new engine and turbo and quoted me 15k. I didn't know about the cnta engines at that point so I just thought these guys were the worst scammers ever, took my car home and haven't been back since. Just off warranty my very firstt ever light comes on and I need a brand new engine all of a sudden? And they can't tell me why? Riiiiight....I asked the head tech why specifically did I need a brand new turbo and he said well you know looks like what happens when you run the turbo too hard before warming up. When I came back a couple days later I asked the same tech the same question and he said well you know you need to really open up that turbo now and then or carbon deposits can jam them up and it looks like thats what's happened. (Like, dude I'm a male in my 20s and I drive a GTI you really think I'm not opening the turbo up?? So first I'm running it too hard then not hard enough. Riiiiight. So at this point I've paid like 1500 in labor costs just for you to tell me it's all broken. I turned and ran.

I get the feeling that the CNTA engine is a bit of a dirty little secret at VW. It's not listed in my manual anywhere. No stickers anywhere. I asked 20 times why I needed a new engine what specifically has happened i didn't hear an explosion you haven't shown me any damage to the car drives fine etc and I never got a straight answer.

But now that I know the cnta engine is a thing I've found ECS actually sells everything I need to not only fix my faults but pretty much all the ones linked to this engine. They even have a full remanufactured Cylinder head as well as everything else Volkswagen changed to make the cxca. I priced the parts alone to around $7000 canadian (not including the turbo which I did already) and I could get a whole new engine for less than that or even have a get a brand new stage 3 ready crate engine built from APR for about the same.

Plus the early 2015s were really not known for quality control. You know how they say not to buy a new model year? Especially when it's the first year being made in Mexico instead of Germany? And apparently I got one of the first 500 GTIs ever put together in that country. I'm at new model year x20 right now with a Eurospec engine in Canada. Technically don't even have the right fuel here for it. Eventually something is gonna be very expensive. Feels like I'm really playing with fire here.

Or, I can just sell it, if I do it ASAP, I'll almost breakeven and i can walk away and never have to think about it TFSI again.
Then just drive something cheap until the market cools.
you are absolutely right. dealers look for an opportunity to turn this into money. so if you make a good diagnosis and pinpoint you can fix them yourself. I also want you to know for sure that I've seen this type of error on a lot of cars, and CUNA CLHB CXXB type engines also have it, so you don't have to worry. Also, are you getting any error warnings in the cockpit? Is it preventing the engine from running properly?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Clear the code and sell it to carvana, that way if someone buys it and there's issues carvana will foot the bill instead of the customer