GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Golf GTD - Clutch Smell

a17vts

Passed Driver's Ed
Good Afternoon All,

I've a 2015 (65 plate) Golf GTD which I've owned from new, October 2015.

Its been perfect so far, but recently I've had a clutch smell after I've parked the car up. After the first time I noticed it i just assumed I was dragging the clutch but I today I was very careful and noticed a slight smell of clutch again.

The car also has the fan on more often than not after parking even after a flowing run? I've not sure if this is relevant but thought I would bring it up.

Any ideas?

Either way I'll contact VW to see what they say but it would be nice to know if this is a common problem.

Tom

richiekuk

Ready to race!
It's more than likely the DPF regenerating. The fan will run once parked up, due to the increased heat during the regen.
And it smells too.

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
+1 for the regen. (warm smell- fan running)
in first 1500 miles mine seemed to be on quite a bit after a run,no matter how short or long. I was advised to this happening at the handover.

Now seldom if ever does this happen, can't remember last time it did.

Happy motoring!
J

a17vts

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll keep an eye on it but I've never had an issue with clutch control! So the smell made me nervous!

Thanks for the replies.

richiekuk

Ready to race!
You'll know if the car is trying to regenerate. When you park up the idle will be about 1050rpm, instead of the usual.
When you switch off the fan will run for a good while, to try and help cool things as it gets pretty hot.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
DPF regen, particularly if you interupt it. Completely normal.

They do tend to try to regen every 350/400 miles from my own experience. If you interupt one it will continue the process next tie you use the car and it gets up to appropriate temp.