GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Clutch Replacement Suggestions

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
I read through every clutch thread back to June '19 and really did not find what I was looking for.

I have a 2015 GTI. It has 49K miles on it and the clutch started slipping last week. I have personally only put about 5K miles on this car, so not sure if it is me or if the clutch was already on the way out. I love this car. First ever Volkswagen to own. I am a sports car guy and do some track and rally driving, but not in the GTI. However, I drive this thing like I stole it. It is just so much fun around town.

I turn all my own wrenches and have a lift in the garage so I will be doing the clutch replacement myself. I will not be making any HP mods to the car.

Do you guys have any suggestions on replacement clutch? Driven hard, but no extra HP any time soon.

Thinking about just putting OE in, but wondering if I should spend a few extra hundred bucks and upgrade?

Thanks for the suggestions!

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

Martin398

Ready to race!
if you're replacing the clutch because of slip, definitely replace the dual Mass flywheel. buy from FCP Euro. lifetime replacement, no brainier.
the clutches previous poster mentioned are good options. also should consider the TTRS DIY option. that's what I went with and it's holding strong at stage 2 levels currently.

mikeboba

Recently replaced my clutch with the RSR Clutch by HSTuning about 600 miles ago. It works great and grabs hard, but pedal effort still feels stock. Currently running APR Stage 1 - High Torque. I would recommend it.

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
So do you guys think I should need to replace the flywheel as well? I am getting no shimmy, vibration, or sounds from the flywheel that I can detect. Thanks.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
So do you guys think I should need to replace the flywheel as well? I am getting no shimmy, vibration, or sounds from the flywheel that I can detect. Thanks.

I'm a fan of the perks that came with a single mass flywheel. So if you want to go that way I'd recommend it. If you really want to stick with a DMF you should replace it for good practice. Just give the disc a nice new mating surface to break in with. If not it's not gonna kill you but could potential come back to bite you.

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
I'm a fan of the perks that came with a single mass flywheel. So if you want to go that way I'd recommend it. If you really want to stick with a DMF you should replace it for good practice. Just give the disc a nice new mating surface to break in with. If not it's not gonna kill you but could potential come back to bite you.
Yes, I am thinking SMF is the way to go if I am going to replace. Do you have suggestions for SMF? Do you have a suggestion on a clutch for that specifically for the SMF? Thanks.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, I am thinking SMF is the way to go if I am going to replace. Do you have suggestions for SMF? Do you have a suggestion on a clutch for that specifically for the SMF? Thanks.

If you're doing SMF then there are a lot of options. There should be plenty of information. You don't really buy the SMF by itself as it comes in most of these upgraded clutch kits.

I recommend south bend stage 3 daily or endurance but can be pricey.

Other popular options are DKM twin disk (slightly higher risk of crank walk)
ACT, BFI, etc. Give it a search and you'll see plenty.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
No suggestions, just wanted to say [H]ello sir.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
Other people have mentioned RSR. I just installed the RSR hybrid kit from HS Tuning...a step above their regular kit. My car is stage 3 and it is holding well. Mind you, I don’t abuse my stuff so I am not sure that I am the best testbed for the product. I purchased their complete kit, and completed a tranny flush with it. I did not use their RMS, but purchased and installed the iAbed one.

I kept my DMF to preserve smoothness, save the engine dampening and even installed a Fluidamper while I was at it.