GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015/2016 Torque Limiter/Launch Problems

Yomny1

Ready to race!
Not sure if you're referring to me and oorrrlly but we're both 6mt, i think only DSG or autos have the kick down switch. Regardless i think thats more of a thing when downshifting or in higher gears, pressing the gas hard enough will trigger a downshift but taking off in 1st, not likely.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Is it possible you guys are pushing the gas pedal far enough to hit the kickdown switch?
If you're launching from 1st and revving up through the gears, there's no gear to kick down to. I don't think this has any bearing on the issue...but who knows.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I got this to happen twice today. Once it definitely kicked in when the road was uneven. I got it to happen again when I launched harder, but nothing crazy. Its almost like Yommy said where i dont get it if i launch hard and really go at it. Both were only in first but i dont have a tuned car so may happen in other gears with more power

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I have noticed that on all seasons I get no Torque limit, the wheels just spin, but on drag radials I get an ignition/fuel cut in 1st and 2nd gear. I have ECS fully disabled, but I have no clue how to disable the torque limiter. Has anyone tested pulling the ABS fuse?

Me too to some degree. Now on winters and I can spin the tires, but when I switch to stickier 200TW tires, I get the boost "cut".

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Just want to jump in here really quick and tell people to keep in mind that our cars use a boost by gear setup. So you will not have all available torque until 3-4th gear. Also yes, even with ECS fully off, ASR and TC can still intervene.

Do you have proof of this? Just curious because I get same max boost according to my mechanical boost gauge in first second and third gears. Third gear does feel the fastest so I would doubt if it happens at maybe a higher RPM, but I either spin my tires or have boost cutout before I can find out.

TwoLaneBlacktop

Passed Driver's Ed
*EDIT*

I see there's another thread with this listed. Apologies for reviving this thread. I'm playing catch up in this (new to me) forum.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hope it's okay to revive an older thread here but I recently purchased and getting deep into my GTI. Gathering codes for when by OBDEleven arrives and came across this on the OBDEleven forums which referenced this forum. I was speed reading and there seemed to still be some uncertainty what the car was actually trying to accomplish and why. I believe the setting says it all-- wheel hop...

Just wanted to share a post from the golfmk7 formum on how to remove Torque limiter. Works with the OBDeleven as well.
Enter Control Unit 03 --> Brake 1 --> Adaptions --> "Starting Vibration reduction"
Change value from "Strong" to "Deactivate" (or "Normal" depending on model)

Last edited:

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
*EDIT*

I see there's another thread with this listed. Apologies for reviving this thread. I'm playing catch up in this (new to me) forum.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hope it's okay to revive an older thread here but I recently purchased and getting deep into my GTI. Gathering codes for when by OBDEleven arrives and came across this on the OBDEleven forums which referenced this forum. I was speed reading and there seemed to still be some uncertainty what the car was actually trying to accomplish and why. I believe the setting says it all-- wheel hop...

Yep, look for the vagcom torque limiter thread and it'll have what you're most likely looking for. Be sure to code ECS off as well :)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Old thread I know but anyone figure out exactly what this is/how to disable it. Lots of focus on tweaks in the brake system...this is ECU-driven. My GSW drives me nuts with this cutout during wot launches.

A bit more detail:
The cut-out in power I get is usually in 1 or 2 before redline under WOT (never had it that I recall at less than WOT). Feels like fuel/spark cut out momentarily. No CEL/codes. It's not a loss of traction event - no traction lights. It's got to be an engine/DSG safety torque limiter and no, all the VAGCOM tweaks do zero (ESC off, starting vibration reduction, etc....tried them all with no changes....still can get this issue). It's not a issue where the brakes are stopping a wheel from spinning which is what most of those are doing.

Last edited: