GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014GTD v 2016 GTD

GC854

Ready to race!
My 2014 70,000 mile GTD was replaced last week with a 2016 GTD. I have now covered 1500 miles in the new car and thought I would post some of my impressions on the differences between the cars which may be of use to any of you who are wondering about the spec for a new car. My impressions are all subjective and my priorities will probably be different to yours but here goes:

Refinement: The first thing that hit me on getting into the new car was how much more refined the engine was! I guess I hadnt noticed how gruff the engine had become on the old car. I had earlier made a post comparing the refinement of the BMW 118 and 120 to the GTD and wrote the BMWs were far more refined. I would want to compare a new Golf and BMW before I could stand by that claim now.

19' Santiagos v 18" Standard: There is no doubt that the Santiagos make a GTD stand out. I cannot make a direct comparison between them and the standard wheels because the Santiagos rode on P Zeros and the new car came fitted with Bridgestones. What I can say is that there is very little difference in ride quality or road noise. The 18' wheels do handle potholes a little better though. For me the big issue in choosing comes down to cost. A 19" P`Zero is around £100 more expensive than a 18" P-Zero. However they did last well. The car was returned with the original rear tires. The fronts were replaced twice over the 70,000.

Standard Audio v Dynaudio: I always felt the standard audio system in my old car was very good. (I have played bass in bands for many years and have lost some high frequency sensitivity in one of my ears - so this is a personal reflection.) However, for me, given the hours I spend in the car the Dynaudio is worth every penny. Having adjusted the sub and audio settings I think the sound is extremely impressive.

Below is the old and new. The white Golf just after its final wash and just shy of 70,000 miles. Still looking good

Standard v Park Assist/ Reversing Camera: Having used the system I find it to be a gimmick. The standard parking sensors are more than adequate. The camera may have its uses but I find I have to be careful not to adopt a 'head in' approach to parking as its too easy to concentrate too much on the camera and not what is actually going on all round the vehicle.

Full Beam Assist: I find the system a little too slow to react to other vehicles and find I have to manually dip the beam. I would not choose this option again.

Tom-Tom v Sat Nav: I have had a number of issues with the infotainment system which does not like my phone. When it does work however the traffic info has been fairly accurate. The map display is better than a Tom-Tom but the onscreen directions are less clear. My Tom-Tom is far more capable though and a better system.

These are simply my subjective impressions and I'm sure there will be many different opinions out there.

The old v new. The old car after its final wash and just shy of 70,000 miles. Still looking good

Attachments

• DSC_0130.jpg
    DSC_0130.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC_0160.jpg
    DSC_0160.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

JoshMK7

Ready to race!
Hi,

Quite an interesting read really, I used to work at Volkswagen in sales just after the Mk7 came out so I drove a lot of the golfs. I have recently ordered a GTD myself and wondered what the differences were. I understand that the winter pack is now standard along with Nav.

I have also specced Dynaudio and the Parking pack, I'm glad you think the Dynaudio is worth the money as I was a little skeptical myself, but I love a good sound system with good bass!

Thanks for the post.

GC854

Ready to race!
Hi Josh

The winter pack is standard now as is the Nav and my wife enjoys using the heated seats. As I indicated I think the upgrade to the audio is a good option to tick, especially if you play a lot of music in the car and like a good bass line !

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Great write up.

I will be interested to hear, how the Carbon Grey vs the White compares on keeping clean.

I still think the GTD's look great in white.

All the best & enjoy.

Rappy:cool:

stevew09

Ready to race!
I'm thinking of a GTI and it was interesting to read your experience with the 18" and 19" wheels. I like the look of the Santiagos but think they may make the ride too hard, although I will order the car with the Dynamic Chassis Control as my current golf has this and it's brilliant.

GC854

Ready to race!
Great write up.

I will be interested to hear, how the Carbon Grey vs the White compares on keeping clean.

I still think the GTD's look great in white.

All the best & enjoy.

Rappy:cool:

Even when I picked the CG car up I could see swirls on the paintwork. No swirls were ever visible on the white one. I didn't find it difficult to clean after I started to maintain a good polish on it. The Carbon doesn't tend to show up road grime as much as the white and I have yet to give it a proper clean and polish.

When my 83yr old mother saw the CG one her comment was 'it isn't as striking as the white one'. :)

I'm thinking of a GTI and it was interesting to read your experience with the 18" and 19" wheels. I like the look of the Santiagos but think they may make the ride too hard, although I will order the car with the Dynamic Chassis Control as my current golf has this and it's brilliant.

I don't think most people would notice much difference in the ride quality of the 19 v 18 wheels. I actually managed to test drive 2 GTDs back to back in 2014 as I too was a bit worried about noise and ride but the only time it is noticeable is when you run over a large pothole. The car on Santiagos does not handle them as well as the standard. These large potholes tend to send a crash through the cabin. When I test drove the two cars I deliberately drove them over a particularly large pothole to gauge the difference. Hopefully though we don't spend all our time running over large potholes - only the occasional big one!!

pipsyp

Ready to race!
I had a base spec Deep Black 64 plate for a few months whilst my Carbon Grey MY16 was ordered and built.

I'm not sure I could live without the Nav or Winter Pack now. Keyless I'm less bothered about but is nice all the same. The MIB2 infotainment is overall an improvement but it's less stable than the MIB1 from my experience.

The old car felt bank vault strong and didn't put a foot wrong whilst I had it....it suffered an oil leak but it was down to a servicing error (not installing the oil filter properly) and not the car.

My MY16 has been back to the dealers two or three times v early on for warranty work...the infotainment still plays up from time to time but otherwise it's good as gold.

It's just clocked 10k miles.

CSG is much easier to keep tidy than black and looks amazing when clean. I also personally prefer the Nogaro wheels to the Santiago...I'd wager it probably drives a touch better on the 18's anyway.

High beam assist (assuming you have the diode based system with the lens at the Base of the rear view mirror) I agree is poor....I have it on my Skoda Octavia and it's very dim witted and not worth the outlay.

ILA, the active version that comes with Lane assist and operated via the lane assist camera is much better but so it should be as part of a nearly 1k option pack.

Enjoy it buddy!

evilfish5000

Passed Driver's Ed
That's quite interesting. I've got the same options as you minus the dyno audio. I do agree the park assist is mostly a gimmick but it is very good for parallel parking and reduces the chance of curbing a wheel. The high beam assist I find to be very good it's a little odd at 1st but always gone off at the right time.

I am interested about the tyres what type of driving do you do. I only ask as my fronts are on 5mm already and the car is only just on 2400. Most of the driving I do is duel carriage/ motorway. Again I have the bridgestones from factory

GC854

Ready to race!
Most of my driving is motorway/dual carriageway. However I do enjoy a fair few B-Road blasts. I cannot really compare the wear on the P-Zeros to the Bridgestones as Ive only covered 2200 miles so far.

Agree with Pipsyp on the keyless and like him my new car is having infotainment issues and is booked in to have the unit replaced. The old car was faultless until around 60000 when a couple of minor issues were fixed under warranty