GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 MK7 Golf MIB 1 System

Za1n97

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Hi

Apologies if posted elsewhere, I’ve had a look and struggled to find anything!

But, I just bought a MK7 Golf GTD and noticed my infotainment system doesn’t have maps.

I know it’s the mib1 system so it’s very hard to chip to get Apple car play.

I know other Options include upgrading to a mib2 system or getting an aftermarket RCD330. The former being quite expensive and latter meaning I won’t have all the functionality I previously have with the current system.

As such I’m hoping for some advice / other options!

All suggestions welcome

Thanks!

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Hi! First of all, press and hold MENU for 3 seconds to enter hidden menu, next go to Version Information, and post your SW Train here. It will help identify your unit. Also what region are you from?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Maps should be on the SD card in slot no2 in the unit in the glovebox. Car should come with them as the SD card is a specific VW writen SD crad due to the extra sercurity build into a hidden partion on the card..

You can't just download the free VW maps onto any SD card & insert into the MIB unit..you have to buy a VW SD card form the dealers & the car should come with one as it did at the factory, otherwise whoever sold you that car cannot state that it has satnav...

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
@golfdave just to be precise:

1. Card needs to have certain CID (Card ID). You can order such card from dealer, or from 3rd party sellers, or even get an SD with option to store new/custom CID.

2. Card will work in SD1 as well as in SD2. Doesn't matter which port you use.

3. Above information is true only for Discover Media systems (MSTD and MST2).
Discover Pro (MHIG and MHI2) does not have "CID-Lock", maps are stored on internal memory on the main unit, update can be performed with any SD card or even USB drive.

4. MIB2 Discover Media (MST2 Technisat or MST2 Delphi) CID-Lock security can be removed and you will be able to use maps from any inserted SD card or any connected USB drive.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
@golfdave just to be precise:

1. Card needs to have certain CID (Card ID). You can order such card from dealer, or from 3rd party sellers, or even get an SD with option to store new/custom CID.

2. Card will work in SD1 as well as in SD2. Doesn't matter which port you use.

3. Above information is true only for Discover Media systems (MSTD and MST2).
Discover Pro (MHIG and MHI2) does not have "CID-Lock", maps are stored on internal memory on the main unit, update can be performed with any SD card or even USB drive.

4. MIB2 Discover Media (MST2 Technisat or MST2 Delphi) CID-Lock security can be removed and you will be able to use maps from any inserted SD card or any connected USB drive.

If you want to be pedantic:-....

I had previously stated that a VW SD card has to be used to to the security of said card...& card type VAG call it is:- SD-CDA.

The poster has a 2013 MK7 Golf & states its MIB (Gen.1).....poster does not state if its "Pro" or non-Pro" ....

Za1n97

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
FYI: The unit I have doesn't even have a Nav button, so I don't think there is a Maps functionality at all, hence why I was wondering how best to upgrade i.e. do I go for a MIB 2 unit, or go for an aftermarket unit

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
FYI: The unit I have doesn't even have a Nav button, so I don't think there is a Maps functionality at all, hence why I was wondering how best to upgrade i.e. do I go for a MIB 2 unit, or go for an aftermarket unit

So just the "media" unit then.....go for a whole MIB2.5 swap..& a big touch screen if you want,.....

VW Retrofit good place (from what I hear)..

Discover MIB2.5 with the smaller screen (as it has the two knobs)..£860 fitted...
https://www.vw-retrofit.co.uk/product/discover-media-mib2-5-complete-set/

The top end Discover "Pro" in a MIB2.5 with a big touch screen £1,200 fitted (out of stock)
https://www.vw-retrofit.co.uk/product/discover-pro-mib2-5-set-with-9-2-glass-screen/

All units are used as they are not made anymore & are rescued form crashed cars, or refurbished etc...

New Alpine unit X903D-G7R is around £1,400..plus fitting....& any other modules you may need/want to add...
https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/headunits-for-volkswagen/x903d-g7r