GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 24h Le Mans...technological showcase

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
There are a number of very interesting cars racing in Le Mans this year! Last year was incredibly exciting partially due to the Audi saga, but this year is going to have some debuting new technology which nerd like me get excited about.

First is the Audi R18. It is a diesel hybrid (Yes, you read that correctly!!) piloted by Audi's legendary 24h racing team.

They also have a traditional diesel entry in their normal R-18 which, of course, is no different than a Golf TDI with fancy wheels.

There's also Toyota with a hybrid, which they expect will be very competitive

But it's just a Prius with a couple spoilers, right?

Then there's the Nissan DeltaWing...which has to be my personal favorite just because it is so weird and unconventional.

Anyone else excited for this weekend?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
they will be showing it on Speed right? I saw the Delta Wing at the auto show and was pretty impressed with it.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Sweet, I think my TDI is faster though because I don't have that nasty hybrid system.

zee

Go Kart Champion
they will be showing it on Speed right? I saw the Delta Wing at the auto show and was pretty impressed with it.
Yes on SpeedTV :thumbsup:

Speed's alternating broadcast schedule on TV and Speed.com:
Race Start: 9:00AM (Eastern), Saturday June 16
  • Speed TV: 8:30AM - 1PM
  • Speed.com: 1PM - 2:30PM
  • Speed TV: 2:30PM - 7PM
  • Speed.com: 7:00PM - 7:30PM
  • Speed TV: 7:30PM - remainder of race (through 9AM Sunday)

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I’m waiting to see this year, definitely:Toyota, the best test for them was Nurburgring this 2012.If don’t mistake Lexus won ,as well Toyota with FT-86.Now Nissan with this Delta Wing, by the way, same engine block found in cars like the Juke. However I feel Audi can pull away again.

zee

Go Kart Champion
Recap!

Satoshi Motoyama's valiant attempts to revive his DeltaWing after an unfortunate accident with the leading Toyota was quite emotional. The man spent 2 hours on the sidesides before throwing in the towel. I wish Nissan had entered two DeltaWings. The prototype had such potential.

As for other categories, Audi swept LMP1 as expected but it was a guessing game for the #1 position in the team. I was just hoping to see Oak racing or Pescarolo higher in the standing but they swept the back.

I was also rooting for Oak racing in the LMP2 but they were pretty far back in the pack.
Porche 911 RSR fielded by Flying Lizard motorsports was my car of choice in the GTEAm but I was also left disappointed as they did not make the podium. They had the fastest average speed as well as 24hrs of lemans experience to boot.

For the GTEPro, I was expecting the Ferraris to burn-down or have catastrophic engine failure overnight but left very impressed with the 1-2 finish.

I expect Toyota to stept it up greatly for 2013. They did good for a new car, first entry without any track experience.
2014 will be even more exciting for LMP1 with the new specs from the rule changes, lighter cars without limitations of cylinders, restrictors and turbo pressures. Porsche jumping onboard LMP1 to...Bring it on!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Porsche to LMP1 sounds very exciting.

zee

Go Kart Champion
I sure hope it happens. I read recently that Porsche still has one foot in a possible F1 return and won't be signing up for both events.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ if they did F1 that would be awesome to see as well, but im sure more costly than LeMans. Will they enter a 918 hybrid variation for LeMans if they go that route, instead of just LMP1?

zee

Go Kart Champion
Factory entries will have to be hybrid from what I read and I think Porsche will be going the Petrol-Hybrid route. The design of the cars are changing slightly next year for the LMP1 to improve visibility and cut down on the acident from the past two year. Visually noticable will be cockpits which are higher up and further forward.

They will probably call it the 918 RSR but I am sure that is where the similaries will end

zee

Go Kart Champion
Ohhh..and on F1, Porsche might still be complaining that it's too expensive but VW seems eager to throw money in there and may cover some of the cost as they both fall under the VW Group branding.

Only last week they seemed to figure out how to buy the remaining 50.1% of Porsche before 2014 without paying 1.5 billion euros in taxes.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
interesting on the F1 bit. Wait, so all cars now are going to have be hybrids, or only if factory production cars?? not following you there.

zee

Go Kart Champion
interesting on the F1 bit. Wait, so all cars now are going to have be hybrids, or only if factory production cars?? not following you there.

LMP1 factory prototype entries will have to have hybrid in their lineup. Privateer LMP1s can still use diesel or petrol. These prototypes usually claimed overall victory in the last few years and major mojo(like Audi).

Production cars with factory entry do not have to be hybrid. Production cars fall in the GTEAm or GTEPro and could win class victory but no one ever remembers the class winners from previous years(like Covette, Ferraris and Porsche 911 RSR)

Although back in 1994 Porsche was able to claim the 962 was a GT car and spanked all the LMP prototypes of the time and claim overall victory. GT cars these years are slow in comparison The 918 as it sits now is a GT car and wont be able to compete for overall victory.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
thanks duder^