GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So I have 5 track days now on my Accelera 651 Sport 255/40/17s from tirestreets.com as well as a few K miles of street driving I'd estimate. I rotated them this time front-to-back. Once set is ~7/32 and the other ~5/32 and they started at 9/32". Nice even wear/no issues. I've landed on hot pressures at ~35 as being ideal so starting them at ~28. At this rate I'll get several more weekends out of them for sure. They weren't even bad on the 2 hour drive home from VIR to Richmond in 38 degree rain being careful. Been happy with them so far as a lower-intermediate skill driver for the price.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So I hate the V730s. They get greasy as hell fast (even in 45-55F weather) within about 3 laps and start pushing bad. I settled on 31psi hot all around for reference (no idea what anyone else is running).

Also they absolutely suck in standing water too (which I somewhat expected due to the tread design)...

Though they were quite good in damp conditions or as long as there wasn't too much standing water (or at higher speeds).
Hmmmmmmm, I didn't experience any of that the V730, though I didn't get a track session in the rain with them, only autocross, and they were pretty good. I finished 5th pax in heavy rain with them. One of the track days was in 93 degree out and didn't feel greasy. I ran 38 psi hot though.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Hmmmmmmm, I didn't experience any of that the V730, though I didn't get a track session in the rain with them, only autocross, and they were pretty good. I finished 5th pax in heavy rain with them. One of the track days was in 93 degree out and didn't feel greasy. I ran 38 psi hot though.
yeah, not sure what's up with his tires. they're known for their heat tolerance. mine were usually good for 7-8 laps.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
According to Andy Hollis they like really low pressure. He recommend to try 29 or even 27psi hot. 🤔 Not so sure how I feel about that.

This was their first true “heat cycle” worth mentioning… so perhaps they just needed driven hard first? I do remember the original RE71R would absolutely SUCK at the first autocross event and was essentially a throw away at 0.5-0.75 sec off pace.

🤷‍♂️

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I’ve see multiple reviews stating the mold release on these needs to be scuffed off before they grip as expected. Could be that 🤷‍♂️

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I did notice my v730’s took a few laps to warm up when there were brand new on my first track day with them. Subsequent track days I’d go 8/10 after one lap. So I do think they need a scuffing as mentioned. I could track laps 2-6 very consistently on a Roval before my times would start to fall off

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
According to Andy Hollis they like really low pressure. He recommend to try 29 or even 27psi hot. 🤔 Not so sure how I feel about that.

This was their first true “heat cycle” worth mentioning… so perhaps they just needed driven hard first? I do remember the original RE71R would absolutely SUCK at the first autocross event and was essentially a throw away at 0.5-0.75 sec off pace.

🤷‍♂️
Andy tested with a Civic, not a 3200 lbs strut suspension GTI.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Andy tested with a Civic, not a 3200 lbs strut suspension GTI.

Right, hence the “not sure how I feel about that. Not going to give up on them entirely yet, but definitely need to buy some dedicated rain tires before May just in case.

I’ll be autocrossing some this year since I’m doing novice chief duties for Tidewater Sports Car Club so I should be able to assess them a bit in that setting at least before I head back to VIR.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Right, hence the “not sure how I feel about that. Not going to give up on them entirely yet, but definitely need to buy some dedicated rain tires before May just in case.

I’ll be autocrossing some this year since I’m doing novice chief duties for Tidewater Sports Car Club so I should be able to assess them a bit in that setting at least before I head back to VIR.
I wish I had had my PS4 all seasons on Sunday.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Between local autocross events being fully booked or postponed and deciding to go arrive and drive for 2023 track days, we’re burning through a set of RT660 for daily driving. A shame. They’re not bad in the rain by the way!

822F5AFD-23B7-47DD-BD25-866C25514D5A.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Didn't get to test the V730 at AutoX since I was codriving.
Probably good since it shit the bed today, but so far on the street, not very much grip. 2nd spinning like crazy. 3rd is manageable. Someone mentioned they needed some time.

We'll see next month AutoX. Unfortunately won't be able to make this weekend's Pro Solo

P.s. they look a lot chunkier than the re71
20230216_131140.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Didn't get to test the V730 at AutoX since I was codriving.
Probably good since it shit the bed today, but so far on the street, not very much grip. 2nd spinning like crazy. 3rd is manageable. Someone mentioned they needed some time.

We'll see next month AutoX. Unfortunately won't be able to make this weekend's Pro Solo

P.s. they look a lot chunkier than the re71
View attachment 273856
They need a few heat cycles and some abrasion to get rid of the release compound. More so that other tires.

tigeo

Autocross Champion