GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Those Hankooks are a very tempting deal, but I just ordered a set of 245/40R17 Kumho V730s to try out next year while they're cheap at Discount Tire Direct. ($664 shipped thanks to my awesome wife's 5% military discount, otherwise it would be a bit under $700 shipped). Basically an extra $30 over the set of RS4s for me, and from all accounts the V730s are faster. I've been perfectly happy with RT660 wear on this car so hoping this will provide a similar value/overall speed with maybe a bit more life. Hoping to do a lot more events next year, also fun to try new stuff.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Those Hankooks are a very tempting deal, but I just ordered a set of 245/40R17 Kumho V730s to try out next year while they're cheap at Discount Tire Direct. ($664 shipped thanks to my awesome wife's 5% military discount, otherwise it would be a bit under $700 shipped). Basically an extra $30 over the set of RS4s for me, and from all accounts the V730s are faster. I've been perfectly happy with RT660 wear on this car so hoping this will provide a similar value/overall speed with maybe a bit more life. Hoping to do a lot more events next year, also fun to try new stuff.
I was debating 615k+, v730, or rs4. The rs4 price sealed the deal for me, they should arrive Saturday. I’m looking for the best wear from my tires, not outright best times. My 3 track buddies are rolling in an 600hp f80 M3, 718 GT4, and an RS3, so me being 2 seconds faster is irrelevant haha.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
How much of a difference would it make? Could the extra grip make up that difference?

Fully aware it’s a very small difference of actual tread
On the same 9" wheel, I doubt there's any functional differences in lateral grip and the 245 might actually provide more. Again, you can't ignore the advantage of a shorter sidewall on the weight, mechanical advantage, and better supported contact patch.

I did 255 out of morbid curiosity. I'll be doing 245 next set of tires.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I ran V730 first half of season. Less grip and wear faster than RT660.

Car has more understeer with the V730's also, but more predictable.

Can't really compare to RS4. I've never used them on this car.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ok, the excessive toe out at the rear has killed my street tires. Time to bump up rear springs rate and reduce it, but I need new street tires.

I like the Falken FK510, but they're 164 ea in 245 40 17.

I might as well just daily a set of RS4's at that price point. I can use them on the street and for track days and save the RT660 for autocross and TT.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
255/40/17 RS-4s next to 235/40/18 Federal RS-Pro on a 18x8.5 wheel:
F9957902-18FE-4359-8382-C7DC22F0BA60.jpeg

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I ran V730 first half of season. Less grip and wear faster than RT660.

Car has more understeer with the V730's also, but more predictable.

Can't really compare to RS4. I've never used them on this car.
I just ran 245 V730’s today on my ILX and I’d say the 225 RT660’s on our GTI offered more grip during today’s autox.

I liked the V730 on track more.. they performed great lapping at Homestead a couple months ago. Today they were so so at the autocross. Let go earlier than I thought they would and felt a little squishy.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I just ran 245 V730’s today on my ILX and I’d say the 225 RT660’s on our GTI offered more grip during today’s autox.

I liked the V730 on track more.. they performed great lapping at Homestead a couple months ago. Today they were so so at the autocross. Let go earlier than I thought they would and felt a little squishy.
To be fair, 255 660's pinched on an 8.5 are a little squishy too. 😄

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Did you like the RS-Pro's? I just picked up a set.
Yes, for what I paid for them, I am very happy with them. They were very consistent for me, and I would usually get my fastest laps toward the end of my sessions. They lasted 5 full track days before the outer edges were completely worn and starting to blister. Frustrating, because the center tread still looks nearly brand new! -2.2* camber up front and -2.0* in rear. Oh well.