GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Meh, keep running it but keep an eye on it. In my experience you continue to wear it and then it disappears. Has happened on several of mine and friends' sets. Shine a light down in the crack, spread it lightly and check for cords. If none it's fine.

Absolutely nothing like the delaminating V720 fiasco where you could fit your entire hand under the tread of the tire once it separates.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Meh, keep running it but keep an eye on it. In my experience you continue to wear it and then it disappears. Has happened on several of mine and friends' sets. Shine a light down in the crack, spread it lightly and check for cords. If none it's fine.

Absolutely nothing like the delaminating V720 fiasco where you could fit your entire hand under the tread of the tire once it separates.
I had a set of V720’s! Awful.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Y

Yes. I went looking for evidence of it on my set before I put the tires away and it seems that I may have found it.

Welcome to 660’s.
1007DD3D-D3A6-444C-87AB-8706FF44991C.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Try the V730 as an alternative.
Yeah, mine have worn down to slicks with no weird wear issues or delamination. That's with a track day in 93+ deg heat and 7 autocrosses with 2 to 3 drivers every event.

20220725_152655.jpg

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Falken got back to me an offered a pro-rated return on the RT660s for the tread issue. They actually want all 4 tires back to investigate what's going on. When I was at Pocono 2 others who ran RT660s had this same failure. One of our buddy's does gridlife and had an RT660 delaminate completely at speed. Not sure if I'll go back to R888Rs or try the Conti. Also looking at my BBK 17x9 options; 17x8s are just a little bit too narrow for a 245/40R17 in my opinion.

I really hope Falken solves this tread issue on the RT660 because it was an excellent tire otherwise.
View attachment 256327
View attachment 256328
Tirerack told me to pound sand.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
PXL_20220723_182251402.jpg

We'll see if a proper heat cycle treatment helps with the grooving issue. Not holding my breath!

Now to decide if I'm installing my wheels at home and driving the 90 miles round trip to autox like usual, or hauling everything up to switch tires at the event. Leaning towards slightly less life, much more convenience and more sleep in the morning!

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
View attachment 256442

We'll see if a proper heat cycle treatment helps with the grooving issue. Not holding my breath!

Now to decide if I'm installing my wheels at home and driving the 90 miles round trip to autox like usual, or hauling everything up to switch tires at the event. Leaning towards slightly less life, much more convenience and more sleep in the morning!

I never found it worth it to swap tires at track. I do HPDE ,not autoX, but I think the correlation would be similar.
I've been tracking since 1998 with a variety of cars and tires (Falken 660's for the last couple of years) . A typical year for me is 10-12 track days. The only data that correlates to tire life comes down to the number of track days on them with virtually zero correlation to street miles driven.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I never found it worth it to swap tires at track. I do HPDE ,not autoX, but I think the correlation would be similar.
I've been tracking since 1998 with a variety of cars and tires (Falken 660's for the last couple of years) . A typical year for me is 10-12 track days. The only data that correlates to tire life comes down to the number of track days on them with virtually zero correlation to street miles driven.

Yep. I've done an entire season of autocross on RE71Rs + 18,000 street miles (on my Mazda2 several years ago). The main thing for me is the risk of road hazard like picking up a nail or something on the way to an event. I normally put whatever wheels/tires I think I'll want based on the weather prediction, and pack the second set with me just in case something changes. I used to have RT660s for track, and Conti ECS for rain on track/daily which worked out well. If it was crappy weather I didn't have to swap tires back in the rain.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I like to run street tires for street driving, and then day before, swap to track tires for track day. The louder tire noise is super annoying for daily driving and the 15% fuel economy hit sucks, especially when premium is $2/L. Though if I had only 2 weeks in between a track day, I'd probably just suck it up and run the track tires cus I'm too lazy to swap all the time.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I swap mine. Trips to California are about 300 miles round trip, plus I daily my car otherwise.

I don’t mind the swapping, gives me a chance to rotate things, check brakes and suspension components.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I swap mine. Trips to California are about 300 miles round trip, plus I daily my car otherwise.

I don’t mind the swapping, gives me a chance to rotate things, check brakes and suspension components.
Yeah I always swap the night before an event. Good opportunity to adjust the suspension too.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I used to swap at the track, but a jack accident stopped that. Didn't have a decent place to swap, tried on crappy asphalt, jack wheels for stuck in a rut and car came off jack on way up. Not cool.

Easier to do in my garage. Only caveat is I've had to drive home in heavy rain on what are basically slicks.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG